POLL: What Caliber Do You Carry The Most?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

What Caliber Do You Carry The Most?

smaller than .32
1%
No votes
8%
No votes
9mm
29%
.38 special/or +p
4%
2%
22%
10mm
1%
33%
.44 special/magnum
No votes
larger than .45 acp or 44 magnum
No votes

Total votes: 288

Munk
Posts in topic: 1

Re: POLL: What Caliber Do You Carry The Most?

Post by Munk »

I split time between my Sig P220 and my Glock 23 approx 55%/45%.
III%

karder

Post by karder »

I carry .45 100% of the time. My philosophy is to carry the biggest caliber that I can comfortably conceal. Thanks to a wide selection of great quality holsters on the market today, I seem to always be able to carry my colt commander. I don't really have to dress around the gun, nor do I find myself switching guns to accommodate my clothes. I just change to a different holster. Between IWB, OWB, Shoulder rigs and so on, I seem to have an option for every dress style. I am finding it unnecessary to buy lots of different guns for concealed carry...although I still an buying lots of different guns! More guns equals more happy!
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

By far, what I carry the most -- at home, around town, in church, at work (NOT! Thank you Senators Duncan and Ogden) -- is a NAA Pug in .22 magnum in my front pocket.

When I travel I carry an SP101 in .357 magnum.

I have a fondness for rugged, stainless steel revolvers.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Topic author
LongHairedRedneck
Posts in topic: 11

Post by LongHairedRedneck »

Interesting data folks, keep it coming! :coolgleamA:

Mods: anyway this can be put as a sticky at top of forum?
If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

cowboymd
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cowboymd »

karder wrote:I carry .45 100% of the time. My philosophy is to carry the biggest caliber that I can comfortably conceal. Thanks to a wide selection of great quality holsters on the market today, I seem to always be able to carry my colt commander. I don't really have to dress around the gun, nor do I find myself switching guns to accommodate my clothes. I just change to a different holster. Between IWB, OWB, Shoulder rigs and so on, I seem to have an option for every dress style. I am finding it unnecessary to buy lots of different guns for concealed carry...although I still an buying lots of different guns! More guns equals more happy!

If the money holds out, more guns will surely follow........... ;-)
TSRA Member
NRA Life Member

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

.45 because that is the only caliber I currently own pistols in. :lol:
TANSTAAFL

USA1
Posts in topic: 5

Post by USA1 »

74novaman wrote:.45 because that is the only caliber I currently own pistols in. :lol:
if your only gonna have one caliber , .45 is the one to have . :thumbs2:
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

Sniper John

Post by Sniper John »

What I carry with technically is not up there but I guess it would fall under 9mm.
9mm+P

DONT TREAD ON ME

Post by DONT TREAD ON ME »

nuff said...

Last edited by DONT TREAD ON ME on Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

old farmer
Posts in topic: 2

Post by old farmer »

XtremeDuty.45 wrote:nuff said
:cheers2: :iagree: Do they make a poster?
God Bliss America.

One Shot

Post by One Shot »

10mm gets no respect.
One Shot

TDDude

Post by TDDude »

I carry a 9mm because that's what I can afford to shoot that is big enough to do the job.

If doesn't matter what you carry if you can't afford to shoot the thousands of rounds that it takes to develop the muscle memory that will save you in a high stress situation like a gunfight.

so, there you go.
:grumble :grumble :grumble
Ray F.
Luke 22:35-38 "Gear up boys, I gotta go and it's gonna get rough." JC
-- Darrell Royal, former UT football coach - "If worms carried pistols, birds wouldn't eat 'em."

TLE2

Post by TLE2 »

I carry 9mm only because I haven't been able to buy the compact 1911, my preference.

Of course, I did just recently buy an AR-15, so I guess I made the choice to carry the Glock a few more months at least. :oops:
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... (Jefferson quoting Beccaria)

... tyrants accomplish their purposes ...by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms. - Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

mgood
Posts in topic: 4

Post by mgood »

XtremeDuty.45 wrote:
USA1 wrote:
XtremeDuty.45 wrote: .45 but thats only cause they dont make a .46 :leaving
i always loved that saying . :lol:
Try this one...

.45 ACP...because shooting twice is silly!

NOTE: I am not trying to incite a caliber war. Just having some fun!

:patriot:
Actually, I think anyone worth shooting is worth shooting (at least) twice. Shoot until the fight is over. If I'm only dealing with one assailant, I may be capable of making two or three good hits before gravity claims them.

TDDude wrote:I carry a 9mm because that's what I can afford to shoot that is big enough to do the job.

If doesn't matter what you carry if you can't afford to shoot the thousands of rounds that it takes to develop the muscle memory that will save you in a high stress situation like a gunfight.
Point.
When I worked in the gun store, I sometimes mentioned that the person who wins the gunfight is more likely to be the one who practiced rather than the one with the biggest bullet.
(I don't remember exactly where I got that. It may have been from someone on this forum.)
So with 9mm being so much cheaper to shoot (and more pleasant to shoot), it's probably the quickest route to proficiency. And bullet placement is by far the #1 consideration in stopping power.

I've never owned a 9mm, but I have nothing against them. It's just that when I see two otherwise identical models, one in 9 and one in .40, I choose the one with the bigger hole in the end. I do believe that a .40S&W or .45ACP is more likely to make a "one shot stop." But I don't think you can guarantee a one shot stop with even a .44Mag with a center of mass hit, while I know that many people have been killed dead with a lowly .22LR. So there's a lot of unpredictability in there. Bigger is usually better. Hitting where you aim is much better than that. (Both would be ideal, IMO. But if I had to choose, I'd bet on the competent shooter with a .22 over an incompetent with any caliber.)

Topic author
LongHairedRedneck
Posts in topic: 11

Post by LongHairedRedneck »

mgood wrote:(Both would be ideal, IMO. But if I had to choose, I'd bet on the competent shooter with a .22 over an incompetent with any caliber.)
:iagree:
If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”