Kel-Tec P-11 thoughts please

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Kevinf2349
Posts in topic: 1

Kel-Tec P-11 thoughts please

Post by Kevinf2349 »

So 'she who must be obeyed' is wanting to get another bang stick and being the ever loving, ever dutiful ball and chain I want to pander to her every (firearm) wish.

I have been doing some searching and landed on the possibilty of a Kel-Tec P-11.

The advantages (as I see it) are:

1) We have already got 9mm guns so we have lots of ammunition 'on site'.
2) It looks like it would be easy to conceal
3) It has 10+1 rather than 6 or 7 (not that she would need 10 to take someone down hopefully)
4) At 20 ozs, it is lightweight for her.
5) It is a reasonable price! (See previous comment on Toll roads! "rlol" )

Now the down side is that I have no experience with Kel-Tec but I know some people on the forum do so.

What is the conventional wisdom?

Does the gun run well? (any FTF, FTE issues?)?
How is the recoil? (Mrs Kevinf2349 handles the G30 well and can shoot her G19 one handed without issue)

I would appreciate any thoughts fellow TXCHL members have or any alternate recommendations but would rather this not turn into a 'my cat is blacker than your cat' debate "rlol"

Thanks in advance :tiphat:
Glock - When a FTF just isn't an option!

04/24/09 - CHL Class
08/17/09 - Plastic in hand!

NRA & TSRA Member

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

"Society doesn't have a gun problem; Society has a society problem"

smyrna

Re: Kel-Tec P-11 thoughts please

Post by smyrna »

Kevinf2349 wrote:,,,
Now the down side is that I have no experience with Kel-Tec but I know some people on the forum do so.

What is the conventional wisdom?

Does the gun run well? (any FTF, FTE issues?)?
How is the recoil? (Mrs Kevinf2349 handles the G30 well and can shoot her G19 one handed without issue)

I would appreciate any thoughts fellow TXCHL members have or any alternate recommendations but would rather this not turn into a 'my cat is blacker than your cat' debate "rlol"

Thanks in advance :tiphat:
I have a P11 and carry it quite often because it is VERY easy to conceal and I practically forget it is there. And, because it was less than $300 NIB, I'll grab it on rainy days when I don't want to carry something nicer. Kel-Tec also has a 12 round magazine for the P11 that fits flush with the butt of the frame boosting the round count to 13 with one in the tube, so obviously that's a big plus.

I have about 500 rounds through mine with no FTF or FTE. It is NOT a range gun. About 25-30 rounds at a time is all I want. It does recoil quite a bit because of the size and weight, and I find that under recoil, part of the frame rubs the inside of the knuckle of my thumb. Also, trigger pull takes a bit to get used to..long and heavy. It is possible to shoot it well once you get used to the trigger...I can hit 10" steel plates at 25 yds offhand easily...not stellar accuracy but certainly good enough for its intended purpose.

I'd say, if you're willing to make some trade offs with the trigger pull and the recoil, for the money, the P11 is a good buy. You might also look at the Taurus 709. I looked at one of these at an Academy and they are about the same size but with a better trigger pull and cost a little more...

YMMV

stroo

Post by stroo »

I have two Kel tec P11s - one for practice and one for carry. The previous poster pretty much hit the nail on the head. They are easily concealed (I usually pocket carry), lite, and inexpensive. However the trigger is pretty bad and they do have a lot of recoil. SPS in Carrollton did a trigger job (put in a lighter spring) on my carry P 11 which improved it tremendously. There are also a lot of things you can do yourself if you like to do that kind of thing. Like the 1911, the Kel Tec is a tinkerer's gun.

The other issue is that you will need to replace the ejector at about 2000 rounds. Kel Tel will send you them for postage and they are easy to replace. Also in my guns, even when the ejector breaks, all but the last round will eject apparently because the pressure from any rounds still in the magazine is sufficient to push the shell out of the slide.

While I like it for carry, I know I would go in a different direction for my wife. But then, she is partial to revolvers, especially Rossi.

pedalman

Post by pedalman »

I have one. I mainly use it as a "run to the store" gun, and as a "summer" gun. It works well enough for me.

One does have to be accustomed to the trigger. My experience with it is to make the pull steady, and don't try to stage it.

AggieC05

Post by AggieC05 »

it is my daily carry, great little gun, and goes bang everytime. Go to KTOG, goldenloki do a fluff and buff on it after you get it then after that it just needs basic cleaning. KelTec honors warranties and does not ask too many questions to get it done. I would recommend it to anyone.

btaylor

Post by btaylor »

I have one as well, with even with a mag extension it is easily concealable & comfortable to carry at a good price. I've put about 250 rounds through it and never had a problem.

But,As stated above, it is NOT a range gun - after about 50 rounds my wrist gets pretty sore.
04/21/09 App Received By DPS
06/01/09 PIN Received/Processing App
09/01/09 Application Complete
09/05/09 Plastic In Hand

NRA Life Member

ac-mech

Post by ac-mech »

i have two and love them..i carry one everyday...

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”