Aaaaaaadadafafaf

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Handcuffs?

Post by WildBill »

Gray wrote:Well hopefully, my family isnt in some bg's escape path when a chl'er injures him & doesnt detain.Thanks for replies, yall helped me decide what I would do in this scenario.
Having your family out of the path should be part of your family's personal protection training scenario. If you are between the BG and your family and he continues his attack you already know what to do.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
Gray
Posts in topic: 5

!hahahahahah

Post by Gray »

Hsjsjshsjsjs
Last edited by Gray on Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bdickens
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bdickens »

Besides all of the possible legal rammifications, there's a reason why the cops like to act in multiples when cuffing someone.
Byron Dickens

dicion

Post by dicion »

If I shoot someone, and they're on the ground, any movement from them from that point forward (Reaching for anything, trying to get up) will be taken as a hostile movement, and I will react accordingly.

If they're on the ground bleeding already, that means they've already made at least one hostile movement, I'm supposed to trust them to not make another one? I don't think so.

The Sarge
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Sarge »

A civilian handcuffing anybody under any circumstances is not a good thing. All kinds of legal issues. Your licensed and laws are there for concealed carry and when/where and under what circumstances you can draw and fire....handcuffing? I dont think so....

fickman

Post by fickman »

The Sarge wrote:A civilian handcuffing anybody under any circumstances is not a good thing. All kinds of legal issues. Your licensed and laws are there for concealed carry and when/where and under what circumstances you can draw and fire....handcuffing? I dont think so....
I don't think OP was asking if the CHL authorized him to carry handcuffs.

If I read it correctly, this is a non-CHL specific question asked to a CHL audience with the assumption that they are more proactive in self defense scenarios. He could also ask this question in his Tae-Kwon Do class if he took one.

Anybody can carry handcuffs. In some circumstances, anybody can use them. If you definitely want to carry them, I'd talk with an attorney and the DA where you live about the laws around using them. You don't want to end up with a false imprisonment charge. I agree with the others that trying to use them could put you at a tactical disadvantage. I'd recommend the "Stay there until the police arrive. I'll interpret any attempt you make to get up as a new threat against me," line of strategy.

Would I use handcuffs on a BG? No. I also wouldn't tie him up with rope, duct tape, or have my dog sit on him.

*Edit to remind you that I am not a lawyer.
Native Texian

marksiwel
Banned

Post by marksiwel »

nitrogen wrote:Image
:iagree:

I fear to ask, but why would you wear body Armor?
*whispers*
...Are you "The Batman"?
In Capitalism, Man exploits Man. In Communism, it's just the reverse

Topic author
Gray
Posts in topic: 5

Hdhshshshshsh

Post by Gray »

Gshshshshshsh
Last edited by Gray on Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fickman

Post by fickman »

Gray wrote:For those of you who dont know this--- Tae kwon do is a sport, not a martial art.
I assume that is directed at me.

I never equated your questions to Tae Kwon Do as self-defense. I was answering to somebody who seemed to mock you and tried to clarify what I understood your question to be - including the basis and motivation for the question. I was saying that you might feel it appropriate to ask any community of people gathered together around the common topics of self defense and preservation. I arbitrarily chose Tae Kwon Do as a specific example of this type of community.

The person I was addressing seemed to imply that you were asking if your CHL permitted you to carry handcuffs or to detain somebody. I was clarifying in your defense that this was not the intent of your question.

FWIW, this is probably the most reasonable firearm forum you will ever find. The people are rational, responsible, and kind. If you think you got dogpiled here or are taking a few sarcastic jokes so personally that you are planning to leave this website, then you probably aren't ready for online community with strangers. Nobody got out of line here. I'd recommend having more charity when reading other people's words - which are often easy to misinterpret as malicious - and give them the benefit of the doubt.

You got your answer. . . basically unanimous agreement that it would not be practical or wise to carry handcuffs as part of your equipment. You were given legal cautions and tactical reasons to support the responses. What else did you want? Don't get mad if you ask a question and don't like the answer because it's not the one you were looking for.
Native Texian

The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

fickman wrote:
The Sarge wrote:A civilian handcuffing anybody under any circumstances is not a good thing. All kinds of legal issues. Your licensed and laws are there for concealed carry and when/where and under what circumstances you can draw and fire....handcuffing? I dont think so....

If I read it correctly, this is a non-CHL specific question asked to a CHL audience with the assumption that they are more proactive in self defense scenarios. He could also ask this question in his Tae-Kwon Do class if he took one.

Anybody can carry handcuffs. In some circumstances, anybody can use them. If you definitely want to carry them, I'd talk with an attorney and the DA where you live about the laws around using them. You don't want to end up with a false imprisonment charge. I agree with the others that trying to use them could put you at a tactical disadvantage. I'd recommend the "Stay there until the police arrive. I'll interpret any attempt you make to get up as a new threat against me," line of strategy.

Would I use handcuffs on a BG? No. I also wouldn't tie him up with rope, duct tape, or have my dog sit on him.

HUH? Who the heck is talking about being "authorized"? He built a scenario about he has shot somebody and does he handcuff them...I said nope IMHO....I dont know what your talking about here.....

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Gray wrote: For those of you who dont know this--- Tae kwon do is a sport, not a martial art.
Hello Gray.

Welcome to the forum. It can get a little rough at times, but pretty much everyone means well.

Personally, I also think the handcuff idea is not a good idea. We have to get too close in oder to apply them. In another thread I suggested the possibility of tossing them to the BG and having him secure himself to another object for everyone's safety. Others and myself, after some reflection, came to the conclusion that this still wasn't a very good idea. The cuffs could then be thrown back at me as a weapon or distraction. Other things like zip ties are easier to come by, but with the same risks.

Oh, and BTW, IDPA, IPSC, and most other martial arts are also sports. And aren't many forms of martial arts also exercises or types of dance?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

fickman

Post by fickman »

The Sarge wrote:
fickman wrote:

HUH? Who the heck is talking about being "authorized"? He built a scenario about he has shot somebody and does he handcuff them...I said nope IMHO....I dont know what your talking about here.....
The Sarge,
I was not trying to insinuate anything with my response. I apologize if there was a misunderstanding. The flow of your first response sounded like you were admonishing the OP that his CHL did not authorize him to use handcuffs. I was pointing out that this was never his question.

Here's what you said:
Your licensed and laws are there for concealed carry and when/where and under what circumstances you can draw and fire....handcuffing? I dont think so....

I found this sentence somewhat confusing to read without being with you in person to hear it worded conversationally. A simple reading without additional context sounded like you meant to say:
You're licensed to carry a concealed handgun. There are laws to explain when and where you can carry your concealed handgun. The laws also explain the circumstances under which you can draw and fire your handgun. Does your license authorize you to use handcuffs? Do the laws give you instructions on using handcuffs? I don't think so.

There was not a break (other than the ellipses, which I did not read as breaking the logical flow of the thought since it was contained in the same sentence) between your discussion of the rights and restrictions afforded by holding a CHL and your conclusion that handcuffs were not permitted. The two ideas seemed to be tied together.

Again, I apologize if I misread your response or read too much into it. Hopefully I explained what I read and why I misconstrued it.
Native Texian

drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

Handcuffs are a mixed bag for civilians (non-LEO with no training on how to secure handcuffs without getting jumped by the BG). They are bad because in order to secure handcuffs, you are put into close contact with the BG. This is DANGEROUS.

Handcuffs could be good because you may secure a BG from movement so you won't have to shoot him to prevent potentially dangerous movements from the BG on the floor. Liberal D.A.'s LOVE to put people behind bars who shoot at BGs who are on the floor, no matter how justified. You don't have to take my word for it, just read pharmacist Ersland's case: http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-pharmac ... le/3380990 .

My advice is to carry a cable tie by wrapping it around a Quikclot 1st aid kit and carry it with a small pepper spray instead of a spare magazine. Depending on the situation, you may either use the cable tie as a handcuff or not use it. It all depends on the situation at hand. In other words, you'll cross that bridge when you come to it, but do have a set on hand, just in case you'll need it.

:fire

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

What brand of back-pack do you wear when you are out and about carrying all this gear?
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

dicion

Post by dicion »

Purplehood wrote:What brand of back-pack do you wear when you are out and about carrying all this gear?
What, you don't wear a backpack containing everything you need, all the time, everywhere you go?

Personally, the one I own is this one:
http://www.specopsbrand.com/ProductDeta ... oductID=12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And no, I don't carry it on me everywhere I go... I leave it in the truck most of the time. But it's still nearby! :mrgreen: :lol:

.. It also holds my laptop very well :)

Return to “New to CHL?”