A disappointing State Fair episode 10-1-09

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

grim-bob
Posts in topic: 3

Re: A disappointing State Fair episode 10-1-09

Post by grim-bob »

I think I've only seen it mentioned once since... But wasn't the agreement (right or wrong) that only a LEO would be gathering the information. If that's the case why is the golf cart guy still taking down people's info and why on earth are some of you giving it to him voluntarily. Keep your mouth shut and let them find it first as was mentioned by some others recently. Then make your decision as to whether it's important enough to you walk or not.

This is really frustrating but I think the absence of any real interest so far by any news media and at least not publicly by the TSRA and NRA means that this will be something that is not going away soon.....

and commendable efforts by everyone here so far in communicating to our public servants whose salaries we pay even if they have forgotten it....
Josh

Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
Benjamin Franklin

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Purplehood »

jimlongley wrote:
Purplehood wrote:Polymer, baby. :coolgleamA:
This former TSA screener can assure you that polymer guns contain enough metal that a PROPERLY wielded wand will find them EVERY time. I can find the staples in my abdominal muscles with one.

That said, the first year carry was allowed the screener missed my 1911 .45ACP at three o'clock and waved me through.

BTW, I was going to suggest in my rant above that any and all who want to copy and send may do so at will.

And that copies to legislators, DPS, Governor Perry and others might have more than a salutory effect.
Thanks for bursting my bubble! :fire
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 9

Post by jimlongley »

I just noticed that my spell checker rendered the plural of "forum" as two words, which could lead to some confusion. Correcting.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Purplehood wrote:
jimlongley wrote:
Purplehood wrote:Polymer, baby. :coolgleamA:
This former TSA screener can assure you that polymer guns contain enough metal that a PROPERLY wielded wand will find them EVERY time. I can find the staples in my abdominal muscles with one.

That said, the first year carry was allowed the screener missed my 1911 .45ACP at three o'clock and waved me through.

BTW, I was going to suggest in my rant above that any and all who want to copy and send may do so at will.

And that copies to legislators, DPS, Governor Perry and others might have more than a salutory effect.
Thanks for bursting my bubble! :fire
Didn't want you to be too overconfident. :reddevil

When I was screening people, which was not my main occupation at TSA, I was primarily a baggage screener, I found metallic objects that were very small. The back off a pin; an earring in a pocket; an old bottle cap carried for good luck, a challenge coin; and a wide array of knives. One [abbreviated profanity deleted] the "funniest" knives was one of those all plastic jobs, but the sheath had rivets in it and they alarmed both the walk thru detector and the wand.

Of course there are also the times that I, while traveling after I left TSA, walked through and didn't set off the alarm with a SOG Flash in clipped to my pocket.

Fisherman74

Post by Fisherman74 »

Mr. Longley, That was a well worried letter and I just may use parts of it in some more emails I am about to send out.

I emailed the NRA, TSRA, State Rep Laubenberg, Ag Comm and I have not recieved a response from any of them, and they have had three full business days to respond. I wonder if they are all just waiting until the fair is over for the year, then they can respond that they didn't have time, or just ignore it all together.
Seems more and more these folks that are supposed to represent our interests will not act if it does not benefit them finacially, or move them ahead politically.

I hope I am wrong, however I would of thought that at the very least I would of got a response from them, indicating they would look into it. If these folks don't take some reasonable action, they will not be getting my support. I hope we all remember who helps and does their job and who doesn't.

I don't think we need any additional laws or legislation. From the way I understand things, the fair is at the very least skirting the law if not down right running over it. Not to mention, it is borderline harrassment. We just need someone that holds some authority to call them on it and force them to comply. If they don't they need to be held legally or at the very least civily liable.

I would like to know how others are doing with contacting those that should help. Let it be known so we will know who we should or should not support.

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

There is always the possibility that some of the lack of response could be attributed to the fact that the fair ends in a few days and the issue will go away.

Topic author
gemini
Posts in topic: 45

Post by gemini »

jimlongley wrote:There is always the possibility that some of the lack of response could be attributed to the fact that the fair ends in a few days and the issue will go away.
it may go away for 2009, but what about 2010, 2011, 2012 etc. Until they (State Fair of Teaxs) post to their website EXACTLY what their "policy" is, this matter is not closed. It will be repeated over and over unless the CHL community and 2nd ammendment folks continue to force the issue. Who wants to do all this again next year? Worry about being outed by
a moron at the gate? Having your information recorded? Verbal redicule, a condescending attitude or unwelcome attention at the gates upon attempted entry? Rolling the dice to see if the wand person "finds" your carry?

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

gemini wrote:
jimlongley wrote:There is always the possibility that some of the lack of response could be attributed to the fact that the fair ends in a few days and the issue will go away.
it may go away for 2009, but what about 2010, 2011, 2012 etc. Until they (State Fair of Teaxs) post to their website EXACTLY what their "policy" is, this matter is not closed. It will be repeated over and over unless the CHL community and 2nd ammendment folks continue to force the issue. Who wants to do all this again next year? Worry about being outed by
a moron at the gate? Having your information recorded? Verbal redicule, a condescending attitude or unwelcome attention at the gates upon attempted entry? Rolling the dice to see if the wand person "finds" your carry?
Exactly my point.

Trope
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Trope »

Went tonight with my wife and kids. I had read this post and was fearing having to provide the info. My wife was not wanded (nor was any attempt made to check the stroller). I was wanded, and my spare magazine set off the wand. The person using the wand never checked my 3:00, where I had my Glock IWB. The only words spoken were when the wander said, "you're good." We got our tickets and went in. My CHL stayed in my wallet the whole time.

chabouk
Banned

Post by chabouk »

I have a personal solution: I never voluntarily go anywhere that requires being searched or wanded.

I never go anywhere that I "need a gun". I never go anywhere they "need security". The more security "they need", the more likely I would "need a gun", so I'm not interested.

5thGenTexan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 5thGenTexan »

I think I heard last night that the Wells Report will be having a segment on the Fair this afternoon. If they do it could be an opening to bring ths toipic to the forefront. I'm still undecided as to wheather mentioning their crack screeners inability to locate known handguns would be a good idea or not.

On one hand it might show why some of us might feel more comfortable being able to take charge of our own families security, yet it also could alert the less than savory out there that the odds are they MIGHT get their 9 in wirh them. Thoughts???
5th Generation Texan
"Republicrats and Demicans, it ain't no surprise,
Got their hands full of gimme, they got their mouths full of lies."

karl

Post by karl »

5thGenTexan wrote:I think I heard last night that the Wells Report will be having a segment on the Fair this afternoon. If they do it could be an opening to bring ths toipic to the forefront. I'm still undecided as to wheather mentioning their crack screeners inability to locate known handguns would be a good idea or not.

On one hand it might show why some of us might feel more comfortable being able to take charge of our own families security, yet it also could alert the less than savory out there that the odds are they MIGHT get their 9 in wirh them. Thoughts???
I'm going to go ahead and say that's probably not a good idea. At the moment you're free to take charge of your family's security by avoiding an illegitimate policy. If this were brought up I would bet large sums of money that they would strike down the problem.

It's kind of like not telling anyone you have a CHL, no one really needs to know.
Last edited by karl on Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere. -Thomas Jefferson

joe817
Posts in topic: 17

Post by joe817 »

Thanks for the tip 5thGen, I'll be listening, and be calling in if the right opportunity presents itself. :tiphat:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
gemini
Posts in topic: 45

Post by gemini »

karl wrote:
5thGenTexan wrote:I think I heard last night that the Wells Report will be having a segment on the Fair this afternoon. If they do it could be an opening to bring ths toipic to the forefront. I'm still undecided as to wheather mentioning their crack screeners inability to locate known handguns would be a good idea or not.

I'm going to go ahead and say that's probably not a good idea. At the moment you're free to take charge of your family's security by avoiding an illegitimate policy. If this were brought up I would bet large sums of money that they would strike down the problem.

It's kind of like not telling anyone you have a CHL, no one really needs to know.
The screeners inability to detect legally carried weapons are not the problem. The problems are: screeners not being discrete, the requirement to produce CHL to non-LEO personnel, the inconsistency of the "policy" being applied and the recording of CHL personal information.
If a BG wants to bring a illegal weapon to the Fair, simply throw it over the fence and pick it up later, or toss it to a amigo already on the inside. The only folks the wanders seem to be catching, are law abiding, lawfully carrying CHL. Who are NOT trying to break the law, who are NOT trying to avoid a ID check by LEO and who are statistically the most likely to NOT cause any problems or trouble.

edited: if anyone wants to call into the Wells Show this afternoon the number is 214-787-1570. If you get through, please be courteous and on point.

fizteach
Posts in topic: 1

Post by fizteach »

I went to the fair today with my family and it turned out to be not quite as bad getting in as it could have and horrible from a security standpoint. I decided to show my CHL and was asked to wait by a screener who spoke relatively quietly. She went to get a supervisor, but ended up walking me through the gate to the supervisor. The supervisor said, rather loudly, do you have a CHL, which I answered in the affirmative. I told her I didn't appreciate her asking that question so loudly, but she said she had not. I repeated that she had been too loud, to which she replied no one could hear her. I pointed to the couple 3 feet away and told her they heard it. She very quietly handed back my cards and told me to have a nice day, so off I went, beating my family into the fairgrounds. I got in free, as they hadn't taken my ticket. :smilelol5:

On the other hand, my wife walked through and was not wanded at all. So she got into the fair without being screened with her Seecamp, Sig P238, and her can of pepper spray. What a joke this whole wanding thing is.
Last edited by fizteach on Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”