CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

lrb111
Posts in topic: 2

Re: A disappointing State Fair episode 10-1-09

Post by lrb111 »

texred1 wrote:He states "do you really think you are gonna need that today?"
~d
my thoughts: "Do you really feel it's best to spend your time harassing some of your best friends with guns?"

or "Sure, Since all the cops are doing is sitting on their butt, harassing the most law abiding to come through the gates."
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

texred1

Post by texred1 »

chamberc wrote:
texred1 wrote:He states "do you really think you are gonna need that today?"
~d

Was this LEO a younger guy or a veteran-looking fellow? I'm seeing a trend that the younger ones are sort of skittish and don't always feel law-abiding citizens should have firearms. The older guys are more laid back and have been around the block, so to speak and understand the practicality of CHL and guns in general.

I do think his reply was antagonistic and ignorant. I don't know if there's any off the books policy about general LEO conduct but I always hoped that LEOs would foster a sense of "do what's right, do what you can to take care of yourself but if you need help, we'll be there". Is that so hard?
He was older, gray hair and gray mustache. Had to get out his reading glasses to check my IDs. Very condescending when he spoke to me, and that comment kind of irritated me, but I let it slide and had a good day at the fair.

~d

killerfly128
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by killerfly128 »

Looks like other people are upset about this as well.

The original post is quoted here http://www.thoughtlessrants.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brazos
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Brazos »

Gemini or someone said that John David Wells may do a show (KLIF 570 AM) or talk about this issue. Did anything happen or did anyone talk to JDW? His show is sponsored by DFW Gun Range and he seems to support CHL and constitutional issues. Here is a local one, hot topic and I bet he would jump on it.

Anything come of this?

I know Mark Davis was uninformed and not concerned but just haven't seen an update on JDW.

dihappy

Post by dihappy »

He says "inside the fair is pretty safe place"
Sorry guys/gals, but:

WHAT AN IDIOT!!

I think i would have responded with, "So was Luby's Cafeteria"

killerfly128
Banned

Post by killerfly128 »

Brazos wrote:Gemini or someone said that John David Wells may do a show (KLIF 570 AM) or talk about this issue. Did anything happen or did anyone talk to JDW? His show is sponsored by DFW Gun Range and he seems to support CHL and constitutional issues. Here is a local one, hot topic and I bet he would jump on it.

Anything come of this?

I know Mark Davis was uninformed and not concerned but just haven't seen an update on JDW.
I spoke with JD today about it. When ever he was told about it the facts were a bit off, JD is rather concerned with the legality of all of this and has to make sure he has all his ducks in a row before attacking this issue. I am sure that if JD and his staff were to look at it further and make sure that the state fair is out of line on this legally he will gladly go to bat. Someone just needs to take the time to get a lengthy email put together and send it to him VIA email then follow up with a phone call. I am sure it would help get the ball rolling if an attorney also contacted Mr. Wells and gave some advice on why he should cover this. I think we have a few attorneys on her so if one could lend a hand it would make things much smoother. My guess is that JD has received some flack in the past with the whole CHL issue and wants to make sure he has a leg to stand on before presenting it to his rather large listener base.

magicglock
Posts in topic: 1

Post by magicglock »

texred1 wrote: He states "do you really think you are gonna need that today?"
He says "inside the fair is pretty safe place"
~d
Hum....
If I knew when I would need it, you would be out of work and I would be rich. Since that doesn't seem to be the case, and you seem to feel the need to carry your firearm, I guess I will exercise my right to carry as well.

If a place you consider pretty safe requires this level of police presence and security people to wand all attendees to search for weapons, I would hate to ever go anywhere you consider questionable. On the second thought, I guess it is a pretty safe place if you have the means to protect yourself. Like yourself, I guess I will exercise my right to carry.

Too bad a few fools that drew the short straw at the station and got stuck on Fair duty have to make the rest of the LEO community look so bad.

joe817
Posts in topic: 17

Post by joe817 »

killerfly128 wrote: I spoke with JD today about it. When ever he was told about it the facts were a bit off, JD is rather concerned with the legality of all of this and has to make sure he has all his ducks in a row before attacking this issue. I am sure that if JD and his staff were to look at it further and make sure that the state fair is out of line on this legally he will gladly go to bat. Someone just needs to take the time to get a lengthy email put together and send it to him VIA email then follow up with a phone call. I am sure it would help get the ball rolling if an attorney also contacted Mr. Wells and gave some advice on why he should cover this. I think we have a few attorneys on her so if one could lend a hand it would make things much smoother. My guess is that JD has received some flack in the past with the whole CHL issue and wants to make sure he has a leg to stand on before presenting it to his rather large listener base.
killerfly128, I sent JDW an email on Friday. As he responded back to me, I assume he got it. See P.12 of this thread. I also supplied him with a link to this thread so he could read it and ingest all of what we've said, so he can make a rational decision on how/if he wants to handle it on his show.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

killerfly128
Banned

Post by killerfly128 »

joe817 wrote:
killerfly128 wrote: I spoke with JD today about it. When ever he was told about it the facts were a bit off, JD is rather concerned with the legality of all of this and has to make sure he has all his ducks in a row before attacking this issue. I am sure that if JD and his staff were to look at it further and make sure that the state fair is out of line on this legally he will gladly go to bat. Someone just needs to take the time to get a lengthy email put together and send it to him VIA email then follow up with a phone call. I am sure it would help get the ball rolling if an attorney also contacted Mr. Wells and gave some advice on why he should cover this. I think we have a few attorneys on her so if one could lend a hand it would make things much smoother. My guess is that JD has received some flack in the past with the whole CHL issue and wants to make sure he has a leg to stand on before presenting it to his rather large listener base.
killerfly128, I sent JDW an email on Friday. As he responded back to me, I assume he got it. See P.12 of this thread. I also supplied him with a link to this thread so he could read it and ingest all of what we've said, so he can make a rational decision on how/if he wants to handle it on his show.
I sent him one as well on Saturday with no response. When I talked with JD today on his webcast ( http://www.justin.tv/the_wells_report" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) he seemed to be a bit confused on what all went on. I think that a rather well written email to him with an outline and cliff notes could go a long way. I read your email to JD and it didn't seem to convey what happened originally well enough for JD to understand what is going on. He was not aware that if you don't give them your info that you are barred from entry, at least that how he made it seem.

joe817
Posts in topic: 17

Post by joe817 »

I read your email to JD and it didn't seem to convey what happened originally well enough for JD to understand what is going on.
That's very possible. I didn't go into much detail as time was quickly running out before he had to go on the air. I was hoping he'd have time to read the thread, but apparently he didn't.

Well maybe the more emails he receives on the subject, the more interest he will have in the issue. :txflag:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
gemini
Posts in topic: 45

Post by gemini »

killerfly128 wrote:
Brazos wrote:Gemini or someone said that John David Wells may do a show (KLIF 570 AM) or talk about this issue. Did anything happen or did anyone talk to JDW? His show is sponsored by DFW Gun Range and he seems to support CHL and constitutional issues. Here is a local one, hot topic and I bet he would jump on it.

Anything come of this?

I spoke with JD today about it. When ever he was told about it the facts were a bit off, JD is rather concerned with the legality of all of this and has to make sure he has all his ducks in a row before attacking this issue. I am sure that if JD and his staff were to look at it further and make sure that the state fair is out of line on this legally he will gladly go to bat. Someone just needs to take the time to get a lengthy email put together and send it to him VIA email then follow up with a phone call. I am sure it would help get the ball rolling if an attorney also contacted Mr. Wells and gave some advice on why he should cover this. I think we have a few attorneys on her so if one could lend a hand it would make things much smoother. My guess is that JD has received some flack in the past with the whole CHL issue and wants to make sure he has a leg to stand on before presenting it to his rather large listener base.
Interesting. A guy I know had called 570 and got the program director's cell number. He asked me to call. I called Thursday (10-8-09) and Mr. S.J. seemed very interested in the topic and asked me to call again on Friday around 1:00pm. Which I did. JDW wasn't in yet. Asked me to call back in 30 minutes. Which I did. His phone went to voice mail. I called several times. Each time I got voice mail. (I had to travel on Friday and was calling while on the road). Finally I called 214-787-1570, the request line, and got through to Mr. SJ. I was asked to call him on the following Monday (10-12-09). Truthfully, I forgot. So, I called 214-787-1570 this afternoon and got through to Mr. SJ. I was told their boss didn't think there was enough interest, and that he didn't think taking a CHL holders information was a big deal because they weren't being denied entrance to the Fair after thay gave up the info. The topic being discussed when I called in this afternoon? Bike helmets. The topic being discussed last friday was BHO winning a Nobel Peace Prize. For basically nothing. I heard BHO won a Heisman Trophy today, he watched a football game Sunday afternoon.
Anyway, During my first conversation with the Program Dir. I had him log onto the Txchlforum and read the thread for himself. I then emailed JDW's program director not only the statutes for reference, but the response I got from Officer Duncan Friday morning. So, saying they don't have access to the information, or I wasn't more than willing to speak with them, or whatever....
ah,...............................
and I'm sure JDW would be willing to jump on the band wagon after the band starts playing....but ....the song will be over by then. They are not interested. It's OK. I harbor no ill will or feelings toward them. It just didn't work out. The Program Dir Mr. SJ was a really nice guy.
I do thank Killerfly128 and Joe817 for the efforts. Thanks guys. All we can do is keep trying. Maybe if KLIF has a open line Friday, a few folks from this site could call in a voice their opinions.

killerfly128
Banned

Post by killerfly128 »

gemini wrote:
killerfly128 wrote:

Anything come of this?

Interesting. A guy I know had called 570 and got the program director's cell number. He asked me to call. I called Thursday (10-8-09) and Mr. S.J. seemed very interested in the topic and asked me to call again on Friday around 1:00pm. Which I did. JDW wasn't in yet. Asked me to call back in 30 minutes. Which I did. His phone went to voice mail. I called several times. Each time I got voice mail. (I had to travel on Friday and was calling while on the road). Finally I called 214-787-1570, the request line, and got through to Mr. SJ. I was asked to call him on the following Monday (10-12-09). Truthfully, I forgot. So, I called 214-787-1570 this afternoon and got through to Mr. SJ. I was told their boss didn't think there was enough interest, and that he didn't think taking a CHL holders information was a big deal because they weren't being denied entrance to the Fair after thay gave up the info. The topic being discussed when I called in this afternoon? Bike helmets. The topic being discussed last friday was BHO winning a Nobel Peace Prize. For basically nothing. I heard BHO won a Heisman Trophy today, he watched a football game Sunday afternoon.
Anyway, During my first conversation with the Program Dir. I had him log onto the Txchlforum and read the thread for himself. I then emailed JDW's program director not only the statutes for reference, but the response I got from Officer Duncan Friday morning. So, saying they don't have access to the information, or I wasn't more than willing to speak with them, or whatever....
ah,...............................
and I'm sure JDW would be willing to jump on the band wagon after the band starts playing....but ....the song will be over by then. They are not interested. It's OK. I harbor no ill will or feelings toward them. It just didn't work out. The Program Dir Mr. SJ was a really nice guy.
I do thank Killerfly128 and Joe817 for the efforts. Thanks guys. All we can do is keep trying. Maybe if KLIF has a open line Friday, a few folks from this site could call in a voice their opinions.

I am honestly astonished ... the attitude of the management is about on par to what JD was saying. I dont think that they are aware that if a CHL holder refuses to give the info to the fair security that they are being denied entry.

fickman

Post by fickman »

magicglock wrote:Too bad a few fools that drew the short straw at the station and got stuck on Fair duty have to make the rest of the LEO community look so bad.
The LEOs working at the Fair are doing so either off-duty or as overtime/special event rates and might be being paid by the Fair directly. If not, the Fair is paying x amount to the department. The local department sets their policies on which officers are eligible to work off-duty jobs and what the minimum pay for these jobs will be. It's often a minimum of $40+/hour.

LEOs can work all kinds of events as off-duty or overtime (where they can get a full 1.5x pay rate, build up comp time, or use it a couple of other ways).

- Some work as "apartment security" in exchange for free apartments (or greatly reduced)
- Banks
- Car dealerships (especially at night)
- Sporting events (Cowboys, Rangers, Byron Nelson, high school games, college games, Mavs, etc.)
- Whatever else

They can significantly subsidize their salaries (which - in some cities - are pretty competitive to begin with) depending on how many days they're willing to work. Some departments limit the number of hours of off-duty its officers can work in a given week so that it won't effect their performance.

Anyway - it's definitely not a short straw or a negative duty. . . it's a thing they sign up for in advance and seniority rules to determine who gets the spots.
Native Texian

C-dub
Posts in topic: 24

Post by C-dub »

The one active DPD Seargent I am friends with says that the fair is long hours, very boring, and low pay. He didn't say what the pay was exactly, but was glad he didn't have to pull fair duty. He normally works third shift and the fair is closed.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

cdc101

Post by cdc101 »

tfrazier wrote:I couldn't stand it...here's the article I just published at Associated Content: Texas State Fair Bends Texas State Law
That's great! I would love a Facebook link on there so I could share it as a news story on my page.
Chris
US Army Cavalry Scout: 1992 - 1997

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”