Own House -> Own Gun

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

suthdj
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Own House -> Own Gun

Post by suthdj »

Justice wrote:I am actually having my Biometrics taken tomorrow for my new green card, but the actual plastic is going to take forever if I have to believe all the stories that are out there. There is also the chance me and my wife will be hauled in for an interview to see if I am not using her to escape my "third world country" which would be a PITA. But then again, everything is a PITA when the government and you are concerned, so what's new?

Thanks for all the replies. And I also appreciate the comments about first hand experiences from all you green card holders! I guess I am currently in the limbo position. I guess I could still go to bullettrap when I move in to my new place and see what happens if I try to purchase a gun, if it goes trough than I got no problems, if it isn't then oh well. Guess I'll have to ask my wife for a Glock 17 for my 28th birthday coming July 12th. "rlol"
Did you come here on a "K" visa? My wife(K1 visa) just got her citizenship a few months ago took her almost 6 years for what should have taken around 3.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Fangs
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Fangs »

I believe you can use bank statements or credit card statements as well... and remember to take 4 pieces of paper. One at the beginning of the 90 days, two in the middle, and once at the end. I recently showed up with 3 credit card statements and had to come back another day with a 4th one. :banghead:
"When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden. The one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream." - speedsix

zbordas

Post by zbordas »

Good luck to your purchase!

I also have young children in the house. I recommend purchasing a lock box for quick access and a small safe for longer and more secure storage (< $80). Mines are always locked up and are inaccessible for children.

Also consider:
- You might want to purchase a second gun as a backup. It can be a cheap revolver or a cheap small caliber something (Keltec, Ruger LCP, Bersa 380). Your primary can be stolen or in repair (hope not) and you have no protection.
- I understand that a lot of people love Glock. While I think it is a great firearm and excellent for open carry I personally do not feel comfortable carrying something IWB that has no safety. There are too much stuff around while you arm or disarm yourself. If your wife is also going to handle the firearm you might want to conside something that is a bit more foolproof.

I hope your purchase goes well and your wife warms-up a little. Mine never had but I joined the wonderful and proud community of gun owners and CHL holders anyway :coolgleamA:

Please join the NRA and TSRA if you have time :patriot: . It is a small price we pay which well worth it.

Topic author
Justice
Posts in topic: 18

Post by Justice »

@suthdj -> K1 visa yeah. Everything has been going ok, and I should be able to apply mid 2010 for citizenship. Hopefully I'll get it all done so I can vote in the next presidential election. No offense to those who voted Obama, but If i was into bumperstickers the one on my car would be saying NObama '12...

@Fangs -> I'll just have to go by a gunstore and ask I guess.

@zbordas -> I am in uncharted waters with the glock already, I don't want to get my wife breathing harder down my neck than she already is. +1 on the lockable storage. I don't want to get snuffed with my own weapon when coming home. I personally think the Glock is pretty good when it comes to safety, I've never had a unwanted discharge in the army, an no one else in my "class" did either. NRA - TSRA have to wait till I know what my disposable income is. I know I have some, but with Dutch blood running in my vains I am likely to save most of it.

CompVest
Posts in topic: 3

Post by CompVest »

If your wife is also going to handle the firearm you might want to consider something that is a bit more foolproof.
What you don't think the wife is capable of handling a Glock safely? :nono:
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

CompVest wrote:
If your wife is also going to handle the firearm you might want to consider something that is a bit more foolproof.
I think you took his statement out of context. He believes a Glock cant be carried concealed in the waist safely. This is not an unfounded or unreasonable belief. While some people believe carrying Glocks is perfectly safe, there are many others who believe the lack of a manual safety makes it too dangerous. Both schools of thought are reasonable. No one should ever strap on a Glock or similar weapon without considering and understanding the controversy.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

The wife was going to carry it in her waistband?! :shock:

Kevinf2349

Post by Kevinf2349 »

CompVest wrote:
Or he could just get a Glock Lock :thumbs2:

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/stb.html

They are very effective and very quick to remove in the event of needing to.
Glock - When a FTF just isn't an option!

04/24/09 - CHL Class
08/17/09 - Plastic in hand!

NRA & TSRA Member

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

"Society doesn't have a gun problem; Society has a society problem"

Gyrogearhead
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Gyrogearhead »

Kevinf2349 wrote:
CompVest wrote:
Or he could just get a Glock Lock :thumbs2:

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/stb.html

They are very effective and very quick to remove in the event of needing to.
Save some coins and get your Glock Lock from the Hock Shop! :anamatedbanana

(Sorry folks, I just couldn't resist.)
"With atomic weapons, as in many other things, knowing what to do isn't nearly so important as knowing what NOT to do." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer, 1946

Wisdom comes from reading the instructions. Experience comes from not reading them!

Topic author
Justice

Post by Justice »

I think putting a Glock in a holster would eliminate any problems you might have when it comes to accidental discharge. I honestly do not see a glock go off, unless you have some real back luck. The trigger safety and the trigger itself being pulled at the same time. Honestly, that little plastic thing behind the trigger can be replaced with just not having one in the chamber. Pulling the slide back and release is pretty darn quick.

But I am not going for the CHL anyway. At least, not just yet. And the glock is Open Carry only in my opinion. Yes, you can put it in a case of some sort, but that sucker is bulky. And I am 5'11" 170lbs, so on a fella that is lean it'll stick out like a sore... glock?

Topic author
Justice

Post by Justice »

Long time no post. A little status update from my end;

I got my 10 year green card, so there is nothing conditional about my residency anymore! Now sometime 2010 I should be able to apply for citizenship, which I am going to look into. We also are in our new house, the first energy statement already in our names. We'll be getting the "Obama" cash when we do the taxes next year, and that is when I will buy my first handgun. As for my wife... well... We where at friends, and her parents are pro gun owners. Somehow the home defense came on after I held one of their rapiers and saying one could slice and dice any intruder with that. They said they had something better for that, and every household should have a gun or two. After hearing that my wife started to get more receptive to the idea.

2010 Glock + Citizenship here I come!

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

It is good to know that people still respect their elders! Good for your wife for being one of them.

Kevinf2349

Post by Kevinf2349 »

Justice wrote:Long time no post. A little status update from my end;

I got my 10 year green card, so there is nothing conditional about my residency anymore! Now sometime 2010 I should be able to apply for citizenship, which I am going to look into.

2010 Glock + Citizenship here I come!
Citizenship can only be applied for after either 3 years (minus 3 months) if the green card is marriage based or 5 years (minus 3 months) if it is employement based.....or at least that was the rules earlier this year when I got mine.

New Glock is definately doable though! :fire
Glock - When a FTF just isn't an option!

04/24/09 - CHL Class
08/17/09 - Plastic in hand!

NRA & TSRA Member

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

"Society doesn't have a gun problem; Society has a society problem"

Topic author
Justice

Post by Justice »

It was marriage based! :txflag:

I just have to see if I have the cash to go ahead and apply when I am eligible. I want to badly... there is a certain loon in office that I just have to vote off the island. :patriot:

Topic author
Justice

Post by Justice »

Jup, still lingering. I never got that Glock 17. Too much crap going on, and I actually have a little baby girl now!

I actually "forgot" about this place, and the desire to have a firearm was diminished greatly. Until a guy across the street had a home invasion in broad daylight. It supposedly went down like this:

He heard a loud banging on the door, and the door bell was rang intermittently for quite a while. Since he thought that was odd he did not open the door. Then he heard a loud noise downstairs, he decides to investigate and finds a bad guy standing below his staircase with gun drawn. He panics as soon as he realizes he is staring down a barrel and races back upstairs, the perp then allegedly ran to his buddies waiting for him and they sped off. The perps where late teens, early 20's, and obviously idiots. Simple breaking and entering isn't much of a sentence, bring a gun in the mix and it becomes a whole other story. They never caught them though, nothing to go on.

While I was talking to him I asked if he owned a handgun. He said no. The cops told him he should always answer the door (as in, shout asking them who is there). The reason why one came in is because there was no answer, and they thought the house was clear.

Then a week ago my brother gives me a surprise visit from the Netherlands. It was awesome, save for the fact he rang the doorbell at night. There was a relief when I heard a familiar Dutch voice telling me to open the door. He joked about me standing behind the door with a gun in my hand. I said it would have been the case if I had one.

I am actually awaiting a small bonus from the company I work for. Should be around 500 bucks or so. More than enough to finance 2/3rds of the purchase price if I have to believe the prices I see on the net. I got to get my paperwork in order (collect 3 months worth of waterbills) because I am still a green-card holder. I just can't justify becoming a citizen in Today's America.. I'll apply as soon as we loose the current (insert word of choice) for a proper republican president.

I also did some research. Turns out the sidearm I had in the dutch army was a 3rd gen Glock 17. They are currently on the 4th gen, are there any advantages / disadvantages any of you Glock owners can think of?

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”