Under 21 - No Reciprocity

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

mgood
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Under 21 - No Reciprocity

Post by mgood »

KFP wrote: . . . I think the best (most difficult) route is to somehow focus on the states limiting reciprocity solely because we issue to military under 21. If they decide they don't want those under 21 carrying in their state :roll: - just say that and let the rest of us do so.

I've slowly been working on states that appear to restrict us because of this and come up with Ohio, Oregon, Nevada, and New Hampshire. I'm still working on getting letters out to some lawmakers in those states, but it's at the bottom of my pile of things to do right now.
:iagree:
If we allow certain people under 21 to have a CHL, I don't see why that should be a problem. If someone is carrying under a CHL from another state, they have to obey the laws of the state they're in, which won't necessarily be the same as the laws where their license was issued. Same as driving.
So if some state doesn't allow anyone under 21 to carry, can't they just say that they only recognize the out of state licenses of people 21+? That allows them their state's right to set their own age limits but still allows reciprocity without forcing another state to change it's age limit to gain reciprocity.
(Not sure if that made any sense. Just saying that WA could allow reciprocity with Texans who are 21+, while here in TX, we could continue on as we're doing.)

psijac

Post by psijac »

I wish i didn't have to say this but I don't believe in the chls for under 21 even if they are in the military. Military training is big on disciple but not on common sense

http://www.nowpublic.com/world/marines- ... -sentenced" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
07/25/09 - CHL class completed
07/31/09 - Received Pin/Packet sent.
09/23/09 - Plastic in hand!!

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 4

Post by seamusTX »

People who are well over 21 do equally stupid things.

I've said it before: Some teenagers are more mature than some "adults." Calendar age is a very crude standard.

- Jim

mgood

Post by mgood »

seamusTX wrote:I've said it before: Some teenagers are more mature than some "adults." Calendar age is a very crude standard.
VERY true. I've known 13-yr-old adults and I've known 30-yr-old children.

USMC-COL
Posts in topic: 1

Post by USMC-COL »

psijac wrote:I wish i didn't have to say this but I don't believe in the chls for under 21 even if they are in the military. Military training is big on disciple but not on common sense

http://www.nowpublic.com/world/marines- ... -sentenced" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Care to expand on this? How does the link support your point since the people who behaved inappropriately are probably over 21. I have seen inappropriate behavior in most organizations and from people of all ages. There will always be politicians-in-training.
Respectfully and Semper Fi,
F. Phil Torres
Colonel of Marines, Retired
Independent Security Contractor
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
Unarmed Combat Instructor
NRA Life Member

lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

Agreed, Colonel. My experience is that in every group of people, there are the top 5%, the middle 90% and the bottom 5%. If you make the bottom 5% go away, you have just reshuffled the deck and nothing changes. Under 21 CHL is as valid as a DL for a 16 year old. Both have to demonstrate proficiency and pass the test.

Any other method gets nasty. Where does one draw the line? Are left handed glass blowers only going to be allowed to vote in every third election? Who decides?

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

lonewolf wrote:Agreed, Colonel. My experience is that in every group of people, there are the top 5%, the middle 90% and the bottom 5%. If you make the bottom 5% go away, you have just reshuffled the deck and nothing changes. Under 21 CHL is as valid as a DL for a 16 year old. Both have to demonstrate proficiency and pass the test.

Any other method gets nasty. Where does one draw the line? Are left handed glass blowers only going to be allowed to vote in every third election? Who decides?
It sounds like you're saying the age limit should be the same for everyone, regardless of whether they're in college, in the military, or in a church choir.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

psijac

Post by psijac »

Maturity and adulthood is incredibly subjective. If Age is not an accurate indicator, neither is military service. Boot camp instills a sense of pride and discipline in young men and women, but that is not the same as maturity. Boots still need and even crave good leadership to learn from and emulate. Without a Corporal or Sergent to keep them inline and squared away, young Marines would not be as effective at accomplishing the mission. That's why the NCO is considered the backbone of the Marine Corps. When carrying the individual will have to decide for him or herself when the right time to use deadly force is and unlike a battlefield they will have to make this choice alone. This is a terrible burden for anyone and should not be offered lightly, and certainly not because we happen to feel extra patriotic one day

I can't speak on how the Army, Navy or Air Force, and i was only in the Marines for 4 years so I don't claim absolute authority on that either. i will say I've seen Marines doing very silly things, to include violating the 4 weapon safety rules
07/25/09 - CHL class completed
07/31/09 - Received Pin/Packet sent.
09/23/09 - Plastic in hand!!

chamberc

Post by chamberc »

KFP wrote:
Liberty wrote: I've slowly been working on states that appear to restrict us because of this and come up with Ohio, Oregon, Nevada, and New Hampshire.
Ohio doesn't appear to have any reciprocity with Texas, it's one state I really need reciprocity with Texas and don't appear to have any movement in getting it. I wrote the AG, and received a generic response stating which states we have reciprocity with, and didn't address working toward getting reciprocity.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

chabouk
Banned

Post by chabouk »

I don't think the problem with NH is under-21, because NH doesn't have an age limit. I've heard of (but didn't confirm) a 15 year old having a resident NH license. I know there are 18 year olds with licenses.

NH law says they will reciprocate with any state that accepts their license. Even under Greg Abbot's generous interpretation of other states meeting the Texas standard for reciprocity, I don't think NH qualifies (no education, no proficiency test, no background check).

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/htm ... 59-6-d.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TITLE XII
PUBLIC SAFETY AND WELFARE
CHAPTER 159
PISTOLS AND REVOLVERS
Section 159:6-d
159:6-d Full Faith and Credit for Licenses From Other States; Reciprocity. – Notwithstanding the provisions of RSA 159:6, no nonresident holding a current and valid license to carry a loaded pistol or revolver in the state in which he resides or who is a peace officer in the state in which he resides, shall be required to obtain a license to carry a loaded pistol or revolver within this state if:
I. Such nonresident carries upon his person the license held from the state in which he resides; and
II. The state in which such person is a resident provides a reciprocal privilege for residents of this state.
Source. 1993, 130:1, eff. Jan. 1, 1994.

Return to “Other States”