Kahr firearms informal poll

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Kahr pistols you've personally owned

No problems of any kind
53%
Minor problems, corrected without having to send gun back to factory
24%
Major problem, had to send gun back to factory to repair. But the one repair worked and gun now functions well
12%
Multiple major problems, had to send gun back to factory or gunsmith more than once.
10%

Total votes: 49

Topic author
A-R
Posts in topic: 2

Kahr firearms informal poll

Post by A-R »

Just thought I'd start an informal poll of owners (past or present) of Kahr firearms. Will also set up identical poll questions for some other firearms brands. Not trying to flame any particular brand here, and understand fully that this poll is much less than scientific. But if everyone will answer honestly, it might give a good sample of general reliability of different brands.

After answering, feel free to mention the particular model and type of problems you had.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Kahr firearms informal poll

Post by Keith B »

PM9 has been flawless. Have a friend who also has one that has ran perfect since purchase.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

I had an Mk9 elite 03 and a PM9. Both were 100% from day 1.
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

Topic author
A-R

Post by A-R »

previously discussed at length, multiple problems with my PM40

Locke

Post by Locke »

New PM9 had lots of FTF. Called Kahr they told me this was normal in a new gun and it should clear up after about 500 rounds and call them back if it didn't. They were easy to reach and talk to. He was right after shooting around 400 rounds it has worked flawlessly.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I have a PM9 that has been relatively trouble free for probably near 1500 rounds. Kahr has sent me a few replacement parts for worn out parts at no charge. My magazines started falling out after firing the first shot at about 1200 rounds or so. Replaced the spring and catch...all is good again. In my mind the customer service at Kahr is top notch. Been real happy with the gun so far.

My son's new P380 just had to be returned because of Failure to feed issues. We shall see how it pans out, but I feel sure they will take care of the issue. Typical new gun design "work the bugs out" issue in my mind.

TheArmedFarmer

Post by TheArmedFarmer »

My P9 functions flawlessly every time.

I also have a P45 that has a very strange malfunction that I haven't had looked at yet, so it just sits on the shelf waiting for me to get around to it.

Basically, I'm firing the gun, but every few rounds it fails to fire. When the trigger is pulled, nothing happens (no click, nothing). I think it's the trigger release that is not resetting the firing pin but I couldn't be wrong. I don't know much about pistol internals.
Life member: NRA, THSC, HSLDA.

particle

Post by particle »

I have a P9 that I bought from another TxCHL forum member last year. He put a few hundred rounds through it - said it ran fine for him as far as I can remember. Since then, I've also run a couple/few hundred rounds through it. Each and every round has functioned flawlessly, and it is my daily carry.

That being said, the inside of the polymer frame looks like it was carved out by a beaver with a broken tooth. Not sure if that's indicative of the typical build quality, or if mine has abnormal marks from dis-assembly / reassembly. But, like I said, it works great for me and I will continue to carry it - at least until something better finds its way into my safe.
http://www.adamsleatherworks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

.45mac.40

Post by .45mac.40 »

:tiphat:
CW40 .. a 458 dollar gun.
250-300 rds. at tha' range ... not one problem ..
(( well, one re-load, lead nose 165 gr. which didn't make it into the breech // never use re-loads again. In fact Kahr reccommends not using anything but factory fresh ... So I will. Shot a box or two of tha' Gold Dot 165 gr. / This I carry as my def. ammo !! ))
Carry tha' CW40.. mostly 24/7 ... I trust my life with it !
Mac :fire >>>>>>> @:::@
Retired US Army.
EDC: Sig Sauer 1911 UC .45 acp

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

Whereas I'm in the process of sending my CW40 back to the factory. Never had any problem with firing but the top step on the barrel is preening.

If you want to look there are a couple of pics http://www.epsilon3.com/shoot

Warning, they are very, very large to show detail.

Since I'm in the process, I didn't vote on this poll.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

MAFWG

Post by MAFWG »

My P45 had FTF (light strikes) and FTF/E issues. It was returned to the factory for repair with a turnaround time of a little over 1 week. I haven't had a chance to take it to the range yet to see if the issues are gone.

On the other hand, my PM9 has been perfect since day one.

I would buy another Kahr. In fact, I'm looking hard at the .380.

MAFWG
"My days of not taking you seriously are coming to a middle."

Bisley

Post by Bisley »

I have owned a PM-9, which was a great gun, but too small for my hand, while being a bit large for pocket carry in blue jeans. Of course, now I have a LCP, which also does not fit my hand, but I was willing to adjust for it because it is a true pocket pistol that conceals well for my normal mode of dress.

I also owned a Kahr P-45 for a while, and it was also a very fine handgun. But I swapped it for a K-9, because, at the time, the steel framed Kahrs were the only Kahrs that Crimson Trace made laser grips for.

WEC

Post by WEC »

I bought a K9 back in 1999. It had some FTF issues at first but after a break in period it has been great. I have a PM9 that has been flawless from the get-go.
"We are oft to blame in this / 'Tis too much proved -- that with devotion's visage / And pious action we do sugar o'er / The devil himself."
Μολὼν λαβέ | NRA Lifetime Member

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

My recently acquired CW9 is still performing flawlessly. I only have 437 rounds through it and not a single glitch. I have had no less than 6 women and teen girls shoot at least a mag each, as well as at least as many men and teen boys. If there was going to be a feed problem, it would have most likely displayed itself with the limpwristing of a couple of the young women. That included a couple of teenage girls visiting from France that had never even held a firearm before that experience.

Obviously, firearms can be finicky from all manufacturers....some maybe more than others. I know the Kahr isn't an heirloom type firearm like the Kimber and Sig that now spend a lot more time in the safe, but it's a pleasure to carry, and I know it will go bang if needed.

surv
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

hoytinak

Post by hoytinak »

I bought a PM9 when they first came out but I will never own another. After I got it back from Kahr for the 3rd time for FTFs and it still wouldn't feed properly, I ended up taking an angle grinder to it, cutting it up and tossing it in the trash.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”