30.06 sign on one door, but not another

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Mako 25
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 30.06 sign on one door, but not another

Post by Mako 25 »

I have seen this scenario in a downtown Houston building, while visiting a law firm. I entered the building from the tunnel and no 30.06 sign was posted. I did see a 30.06 sign when I exited the building on the street level. As I see it, I did no wrong.

mr surveyor
Posts in topic: 5

Post by mr surveyor »

I'm still not sure what this has to do with the general chl public unknowingly entering a building through an un-posted entrance. Shawn, the oroginal poster said the following:

"I was going into HEB hospital a few weeks ago and I noticed a 30.06 sign on one door and not on another. I wonder what would happen in that instance if you went in the non-posted door (and got caught concealing). they were about 100 ft from each other."

What I read from this is that he, Shawn, say the posting on a door other than the one he entered, and asked what would happen if "you" (I assume meaning anyone else) entered the same building unaware of the sign. I think it's a verey good question, and one easily answered by the law requiring one to be informed.

If he had said in the original post "... I wonder what would happen in that instance if I went in ...." then you have a differrent argument as to whether or not he was actually properly informed.

surv
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

Topic author
shawn
Posts in topic: 4

Post by shawn »

mr surveyor wrote:I'm still not sure what this has to do with the general chl public unknowingly entering a building through an un-posted entrance. Shawn, the oroginal poster said the following:

"I was going into HEB hospital a few weeks ago and I noticed a 30.06 sign on one door and not on another. I wonder what would happen in that instance if you went in the non-posted door (and got caught concealing). they were about 100 ft from each other."

What I read from this is that he, Shawn, say the posting on a door other than the one he entered, and asked what would happen if "you" (I assume meaning anyone else) entered the same building unaware of the sign. I think it's a verey good question, and one easily answered by the law requiring one to be informed.

If he had said in the original post "... I wonder what would happen in that instance if I went in ...." then you have a differrent argument as to whether or not he was actually properly informed.

surv
you are absolutely correct! That is what I meant. What if you went in a door the was not posted, and another door was posted. Assume you did not know that the other door was posted. That is the question.

srothstein
Posts in topic: 2

Post by srothstein »

If you have never been to a plce before, and you go in a door that is not posted (and you cannot see other doors postings from during your approach), then you have not yet received the notice required under the law, even if other doors are properly posted. That would be my best guess as to how the courts would rule on it (and the fact that I talk about you going to court shows my best guess of how the local police will handle it).

Pretend for a minute that this is the first time you had ever been to Katy Mills Mall (and don't frequent this board where we discuss these things). You are carrying under your CHL and stopping at the Bass Pro there. You go in through the Bass Pro doors and see the sign specifically welcoming CHL's. After shopping around, you decide to hit the mall food court for lunch. You go through the Bass Pro mall doors into the mall. You choke on some of the lousy food court food and someone has to give you the Heimlich maneuver (to say how they foudn out about your carrying). Katy Police know that guns are banned there and would probably arrest you. The courts would probably let you go.

That is my opinion and given Harris County's history, I could well be wrong. I could also be wrong about Katy PD, as I am sure they have some good cops on the beat who support guns too.
Steve Rothstein

chamberc
Posts in topic: 11

Post by chamberc »

shawn wrote:
mr surveyor wrote:I'm still not sure what this has to do with the general chl public unknowingly entering a building through an un-posted entrance. Shawn, the oroginal poster said the following:

surv
you are absolutely correct! That is what I meant. What if you went in a door the was not posted, and another door was posted. Assume you did not know that the other door was posted. That is the question.
If you're supposing in that situation, you haven't been properly notified. However, in reality, you have seen the sign and have been notified.
Last edited by chamberc on Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

bdickens
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bdickens »

Katy Mills mall is actually located in Ft. Bend County.
Byron Dickens

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

chamberc wrote:
shawn wrote:

surv
If you're supposing in that situation, you haven't been properly notified. However, in reality, you have seen the sign and have been notified.

did you actually read the question??? I believe that Shawn said the he did in fact see the sign on another door himself. I don't think he was asking about whether or not he would personally be grilled about carrying into the building. I believe his question was directed towards any innocent chl holder that entered the poorly posted building without knowledge of the signage on other entrances.

sheesh... I give up

surv

chamberc

Post by chamberc »

mr surveyor wrote:
chamberc wrote:
shawn wrote:

surv

did you actually read the question??? I believe that Shawn said the he did in fact see the sign on another door himself. I don't think he was asking about whether or not he would personally be grilled about carrying into the building. I believe his question was directed towards any innocent chl holder that entered the poorly posted building without knowledge of the signage on other entrances.

sheesh... I give up

surv
Did you actually read the answer? That is why I said "in that situation" you haven't been properly notified.

Just because you don't like an answer, doesn't mean it isn't correct.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

o.k.... one last attempt here...

If the original post was:

Assuming that the number 9 has a square root, what it the square root of the number 4?

Then:

Would the appropriate answer be "3"? I don't think so.

Giving an "answer" to a question that was not asked, is, in my humble opinion, not very constructive.

just my opinion

surv

chamberc

Post by chamberc »

mr surveyor wrote:o.k.... one last attempt here...

If the original post was:

Assuming that the number 9 has a square root, what it the square root of the number 4?

Then:

Would the appropriate answer be "3"? I don't think so.

Giving an "answer" to a question that was not asked, is, in my humble opinion, not very constructive.

just my opinion

surv
One last attempt here, the original poster asked "I was going into HEB hospital a few weeks ago and I noticed a 30.06 sign on one door and not on another. I wonder what would happen in that instance if you went in the non-posted door (and got caught concealing)."

He didn't specify the purpose of the question was to ignore part of the information he provided.

So to help with your analogy, he got the exact answer to the question he asked, until he later clarified "what I meant".

It isn't worth arguing about, but the original poster originally asked what would happen if you were caught carrying after enter a building where you noticed a 30.06 sign but entered through a door without one.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

yes, you did a good copy/paste.

the first sentence actually described the conditions of the building/premesis for the discussion. The second sentence.... "I wonder what would happen in that instance if you went in the non-posted door (and got caught concealing)", as I read it was the question. The words "if you" seem to be the object of the discussion.

The original post seems to be a very good question regarding proper notification by adequate posting of all public entrances to buildings/premesis. I just did not see the relevance of taking the discussion off course in the direction of chiding the OP for a question he didn't seem to be asking.

I think we're beating a dead horse here. Yes, we can all agree on the law regarding proper notification. Yep, if one knows that the front door of a building is posted, even if in inadequate size/contrast signage, if one still enters the building through that door, an unmarked door, a window, or a hole in the roof, one could be prosecuted for trespass as notification has been presumed to have been made. Our disagreement here is the context of the question of the original post.

You can now have the last word ;-)

surv

chamberc

Post by chamberc »

mr surveyor wrote: You can now have the last word ;-)

surv
Thanks! :txflag:
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000

DoubleJ
Posts in topic: 1

Post by DoubleJ »

good job... :roll:
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

Topic author
shawn
Posts in topic: 4

Post by shawn »

chamberc, respectfully as the OP can you not respond to this post anymore. You obviously have your own agenda.

chamberc

Post by chamberc »

shawn wrote:chamberc, respectfully as the OP can you not respond to this post anymore. You obviously have your own agenda.
Respectfully, I have no idea what agenda I could possibly have. What agenda could their be about a cut and dry issue? This is a public forum and you asked a question and got answers.

The bottom line is, if you enter and do not see, and are not aware of a legally posted 30.06 sign, then you have not been notified and can legally carry.

If you are aware of a sign at any entrance, you can not legally carry.

There is no discussion, or argument regarding the situation as you posed the question. Since there is nothing to discuss, you don't have to worry about me replying.

Cheers!
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”