Shooting range restrictions

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
YabuUS

Shooting range restrictions

Post by YabuUS »

I've been reading again. (Uh oh) A couple of articles on defensive shooting recommend practicing drawing your concealed weapon and shooting until you become proficient enough to be confident on hitting the BG where you need to. This seems like a no brainer to me and is a skill we should all be working on. The problem is I don't know of a single shooting range that permits drawing your weapon and firing down range. Does anyone know where you could do this? Heading out to the boondocks and shooting at melons is not really an option for me. Any suggestions? :???:

USA1
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Shooting range restrictions

Post by USA1 »

i do , but what area are you in ?
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Keith B »

YabuUS wrote:I've been reading again. (Uh oh) A couple of articles on defensive shooting recommend practicing drawing your concealed weapon and shooting until you become proficient enough to be confident on hitting the BG where you need to. This seems like a no brainer to me and is a skill we should all be working on. The problem is I don't know of a single shooting range that permits drawing your weapon and firing down range. Does anyone know where you could do this? Heading out to the boondocks and shooting at melons is not really an option for me. Any suggestions? :???:
There are some ranges that allow you to do this. PSC in Pearland (home range for a lot of our members) does allow this. Dallas Pistol Club also allows this.

Most of the ranges that allow holster draw shooting are 'members only' ranges and host IDPA and pistol competition shooting matches.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
YabuUS

Post by YabuUS »

Keith B wrote:
Most of the ranges that allow holster draw shooting are 'members only' ranges and host IDPA and pistol competition shooting matches.
Ah, there's the rub - I am not a member on any gun club. I live in SW Houston and I usually use Top Gun or American Shooting Centers.

USA1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by USA1 »

if you're willing to drive a few miles , i go to http://www.shilohshooting.net/

not sure about specific rules , but another forum member and i were drawing and shooting .
what i like about this place is you can shoot double taps and rapid fire .
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

NTexas_V-Star

Post by NTexas_V-Star »

I've been wanting to find a place to do this. The only real alternative I can think of is to get back into IDPA. For a little while I awas involved in an informal IDPA practice in the evenings that was put on by my local range.

I may build a berm at my grandfathers land and set up some target frames.....may have to look into this.
"Cry Havoc, And Let Slip The Dogs Of War..."

CHL course Taken: January 24th, 2009
Application Mailed: January 31st, 2009
PIN recieved : March 4th, 2009
Certificate Active: April 18, 2009 (Day 77)
Plastic In Hand : April 20th, 2009 (Day 79)

smasraum

Post by smasraum »

I spoke to a well respected local CHL instructor. He says he practices drawing his (empty) weapon at his house, and then practices firing at the range. It's not ideal, but if you can fire, and if you can draw and get your gun on target, then you should be able to string the two together.
Steve
SA XDM 9
Friendswood

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

YabuUS wrote:
Keith B wrote:
Ah, there's the rub - I am not a member on any gun club. I live in SW Houston and I usually use Top Gun or American Shooting Centers.
You may want to consider joining PSC Shooting Club in Friendswood. Dues are $150/yr. plus tax for a family membership. There is a $50 initiation fee when you first join and dues are prorated based upon our membership year of July 1st through June 30th. Depending on where you are in S.W. Houston, you have at least two choices of routes, including the Beltway that will allow you to come in from the "back side," i.e. Hwy 35 a/k/a Telephone Rd. http://www.PSC-Range.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chas.

Otto N. Sure

Post by Otto N. Sure »

Does anyone know of a place like this in the San Antonio area? Thanks!
Otto

Life Member: NRA; Single Action Shooting Society. Forum Moderator: CZForum.com

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”