Dog encounter

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

nonameisgood
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Dog encounter

Post by nonameisgood »

Having had a pit attack my wife's dog while walking down a city street, without a weapon (I did not have a weapon in town), and having to use my foot to stop the attack, I'd rather have a weapon.
As a direct result of the attack, my dog died, but I had no real recourse against the irresponsible owner ("he just jumps over the wall.")

At a different time, before she obtained spray, two pits were hunting them (approached, then circled, with one dog in front and one to the rear. I now always carry when walking, and have started transporting a weapon with me when I fly commercial.

However, be careful using pepper spray around small children, they can react with fatal consequences.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

I have had more than a few encounters with loose dogs. In each instance I have had the good fortune of being the only one in range of the animal and have managed to extricate myself from the situation without harm and without doing harm to the animal. Now if I was outside with my nephews in one of those situations I would follow my local police chief's advice and "Put the animal down."

The logic in this situation is simple. When dealing with just myself and the animal I have only one threat and nothing else to focus on. With a child present My attention must now be divided between the threat and the child who may, while not knowing better, do something to cause the animal to escalate the situation. If you felt the need to protect your kid (such as when you kicked the animal to get its attention away from said child) then you would most likely be justified in putting the animal down. Personally if it comes down to an animal or one of my loved ones being injured then the animal is looking at a short but exciting life, and I will deal with the consequences after the fact.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

LostInAustin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by LostInAustin »

Thanks everyone! I see from reading here that my natural reaction would probably not be the wrong reaction. Sometimes just have to check my reality meter to see if it stills zeroes out! ;-)

Good reading and good info. :tiphat:
Colt Combat Commander
Colt Govt Model Series 70
Beretta 92FS

age_ranger

Post by age_ranger »

I almost had to shoot my own dog after it went on a barking rampage on a neighbors teenage son. The dog was obviously aggrevated and was barking and baring her teeth. I yelled at her as I raised my rifle and she went into the house. I had just pulled up to my garage and was getting out and removing my AR which I carry loaded in the truck and she bolted out of my garage at him. She had opened the garage door and I thought she was coming to greet me. Since then the door handle has been changed to remove the lever type handle and I've spoke to the boy and his family........but for a second there I had taken up the slack on the trigger and snicked off the safety. Still unsure why she went after him and is friendly to everyone else. Must be something I'm missing there.
http://www.berettaforum.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just remember: Your very best thinking got you where you are now!!!

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

joe817,

I have sprayed quite a number of dogs who've come after me - with mixed results.

The majority, if I hit them in the eyes, nose, mouth stop and do their best to wipe off the spray by scraping their face against the pavement, all the while forgetting about me. I aim a little above their head in a Z pattern. I've found over time that's the best way to insure a hit. Trying to aim straight into their face generally results in a low miss.

I use Freeze +P, a combination of pepper spray and OC tear gas. This is potent stuff.

I've used it on a wide variety of breeds including pits, chows, husky's, German Shephards, and mongrels of all kinds. The majority stop coming after me if I hit them squarely in the face, but some shake it off and keep coming. When that happens I don't stop spraying. I've found that sometimes they keep coming because I thought I'd gotten em, when in fact I'd missed.

Understand, I'm pedaling furiously all the while, so unless their absolutely next to me it's difficult to have great accuracy. However, I know I've hit a few in the eyes and yet they still came after me. These are the ones that really worry me. Which ones - strangely enough, at least to me - mongrels. These are the most likely ones that seem able to shake off the spray and keep coming. Pure breeds seem to have less fight in the dog...

P.S. I really don't want to spray any dog and many times I don't - though I have the can in hand ready...but, if you cycle as many miles as I do, it's absolutely essential to have strong spray as you WILL encounter attacking dogs.

Also, if you use spray against an attacking dog, be prepared for the irate dog owner (fortunately, I've encountered only two vs. at least a hundred sprayed dogs) who often seem to think it quite alright for you, the cyclist, to be attacked. That's not a problem for him or her, in fact, entertaining. It's when you spray the attacking dog their common sense goes awry...

A-R

Post by A-R »

john L wrote:I am a dog lover and have never found a dog I couldn't back down by standing my ground. That being said, I would of put myself between the stroller and the dog; had it made an attack it would have been me getting bitten and of course it would of been shot at that point. Law enforcement would probably not give you a bad time what so ever if you have a bite or torn pants to show it was in attack mode.
Why do you feel the need to let yourself be attacked/bitten first BEFORE you defend yourself? That's like waiting for a mugger to cut you with a knife or shoot you with a gun before you defend yourself. You have the God-given right to defend yourself from an attack BEFORE you are actually physically harmed.

A-R

Post by A-R »

nonameisgood wrote:However, be careful using pepper spray around small children, they can react with fatal consequences.
Great point.

mr.72

Post by mr.72 »

In my neighborhood, dogs are likely more of a danger than humans.

In our last house we had a next-door neighbor with a very dangerous pit bull. If I had been enlightened to the merits of gun ownership at the time, I would have shot this dog on more than one occasion with no regrets.

I see no reason to hesitate to shoot to protect your family or others (including yourself) from a dangerous and unpredictable animal.
non-conformist CHL holder

RedRaider

Post by RedRaider »

mr.72 wrote:

In our last house we had a next-door neighbor with a very dangerous pit bull. If I had been enlightened to the merits of gun ownership at the time, I would have shot this dog on more than one occasion with no regrets.
Sounds like it must not have been that dangerous of a dog as from your statement it appears you had ecounters with it on more than 1 occassion and are alive to tell about it. :???: Maybe there are details you left out, but based off this statement alone it doesn't sound like shooting the dog would be justified.

joe817
Posts in topic: 6

Post by joe817 »

Thanks for the response Abraham! I do appreciate it. :tiphat:

Is Freeze +P readily available, and if so, what merchants handle it? I'm interested.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Sniper John

Post by Sniper John »

The moment the dog looked aggressive, I would suggest 911 on the phone.
Once the dog got that close to the stroller, have the gun drawn and ready or depending
on the location and situation at least have your hand near the gun where it can be quickly accessed.
Place myself between the dog and family if possible to separate it from having access to the stroller.
Then I definately would only shoot as a last resort if 911 help or the owner of the dog did not arrive before
the dog made an actual attack or left on it's own.

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

When the wife and I walk our neighborhood, we always have flashlight, pepper spray, pistol.
There are dogs that run loose, including 3 that get out and have killed livestock.
After this discussion I may invest in some frangible ammo for the first couple rounds.
Last edited by Rex B on Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

NTexas_V-Star

Post by NTexas_V-Star »

I havent read this entire thread....but thought I would add my two cents. Worth that to some, and more/less to others.

Before my CHL went active, I was at my grandfathers house in ******ville Texas. Their has been problems with his neighbors pitbull before. Ya know the type, seems like the dog was trained to guard methlabs. That kind of deal.

Long story short, I was out getting a pack of smokes out of my truck (where the pistol was at in accordance with the MPA) and here comes the pit. I tried to get around him to go back in the house...he cut me off. Snarling, the whole nine yards. I retrieved the pistol, and tried it again. When he advanced again, I drew a bead..and when he took a good lunge, I put one in his chest.

I had to deal with the owners over it, they threatened to call the Sheriffs office, and I told them I'd wait for the Sheriff's. Nothing ever happened; no police were called by the owners, and I'm pretty sure the reason for that was that the dog had at least 7 complaints called in on it that I know of.

I felt completely justified pulling the trigger in that situation. I hated having to put a dog down, but the owners had been warned, and I was quite literally shaking with fear. If that dog had gotten ahold of me, it would've been bad.
"Cry Havoc, And Let Slip The Dogs Of War..."

CHL course Taken: January 24th, 2009
Application Mailed: January 31st, 2009
PIN recieved : March 4th, 2009
Certificate Active: April 18, 2009 (Day 77)
Plastic In Hand : April 20th, 2009 (Day 79)

dicion

Post by dicion »

Abraham wrote: Also, if you use spray against an attacking dog, be prepared for the irate dog owner (fortunately, I've encountered only two vs. at least a hundred sprayed dogs) who often seem to think it quite alright for you, the cyclist, to be attacked. That's not a problem for him or her, in fact, entertaining. It's when you spray the attacking dog their common sense goes awry...
Maybe next time an owner comes yelling at you, you should spray them too "rlol"

After all, if they're fine with their dogs attacking a cycler, you have to assume that they're fine with attacking cyclers themselves as well :lol:

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

I was a mailman in Clute for a year. I found that well-aimed Pepper Spray (whatever they issued us) had a variety of effects. One charging Doberman turned right around and went the opposite direction after getting a shot in the schnozz. One large, large (yes 2 larges) breed of dog totally ignored a full nose-full and pretty much ignored me too.
I see Pepper Spray as the equivalent of a Taser-shot. It works on some, and it doesn't on others.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”