Bossier City Boardwalk is Posted

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
john L
Posts in topic: 1

Bossier City Boardwalk is Posted

Post by john L »

I had promised the wife a nice steak dinner this week at the Saltgrass Steak House. It being on the Boardwalk in Bossier City, I thought I'd better check just to make sure it was legal to carry there. Come to find out the entire Board walk, with the exception of the Bass Pro Shop, is illegal to carry on, unless you are a police officer ON DUTY.

What was even more disturbing was the fact there was only one sign on the entire Board walk; a small sign at one of the many entrances and then it was at the bottom of the Code of Conduct rules. I'm sure people carry there all the time and don't even realize it off limits. I sure hated to lock my weapon in the car, but a promise is a promise and the steak was pretty damned good; shame that we didn't get mugged so I could own a portion of the Boardwalk.

A-R
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Bossier City Boardwalk is Posted

Post by A-R »

I'm not familiar with this particular area, but how can an entire boardwalk be off limits (I'm picturing other boardwalks I know like Kemah, TX and Atlantic City, New Jersey. These are wide open outdoor areas. They are not PREMISES that can prohibit concealed carry.

Also, from description, doesn't sound like the signage is correct for banning legal concealed carry either.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

john L wrote:I had promised the wife a nice steak dinner this week at the Saltgrass Steak House. It being on the Boardwalk in Bossier City, I thought I'd better check just to make sure it was legal to carry there. Come to find out the entire Board walk, with the exception of the Bass Pro Shop, is illegal to carry on, unless you are a police officer ON DUTY.
If you were a police officer OFF DUTY the Federal Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act (LEOSA) would generally override state law prohibitions on carry. Not familiar enough with Louisiana law to understand whether these signs have legal effect. You might go over to Louisiana forum on handgunlaw.us.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

A-R

Post by A-R »

ScottDLS wrote: Not familiar enough with Louisiana law to understand whether these signs have legal effect. You might go over to Louisiana forum on handgunlaw.us.
OK, duh, now I get it. This is in Louisiana. Yeah, I have NO IDEA what laws are over there.

AEA

Post by AEA »

The OP is correct and the signs are correct and legal. If you are caught, you will be arrested. If you are forced to protect yourself with your weapon, you will be arrested and charged for carrying.

Just the way it is in the land of milk and honey........... :cheers2:
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Bossier City is in Lousianna nextdoor to Shrevesport. Texas Logic and laws don't apply
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

AEA wrote:The OP is correct and the signs are correct and legal. If you are caught, you will be arrested. If you are forced to protect yourself with your weapon, you will be arrested and charged for carrying.

Just the way it is in the land of milk and honey........... :cheers2:
Can you expand upon this a bit? What are the Louisiana statutes that make the area off limits? And do they apply to off duty LEO as well as license holders as the sign suggests. The Louisiana Concealed Handgun Permit pamphlet says that private property owners may ban CHP holders from carrying on their property, but it doesn't suggest what action the property holder needs to take to enforce this, whether posting a sign is sufficient, etc.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

We must all remember to be very wary of other states' laws. In a good number of states, the "gunbuster" sign is legal and prohibits you from carrying. In my general perusal of some of the laws of other states, I don't believe I found anything quite like the specifics regarding posting that are found in Texas. Our laws are specific in letter size, type of letter, wording, and even language. It's my impression that in some states they can just put a sign on the door that says "No Guns" and you are obligated to disarm, whether concealed or not, prior to entering. I'm sure there is a lot of interpretation, but when in another state, be very careful, and make sure you know the laws there.

casingpoint

Post by casingpoint »

That law is a city ordinance and is generally regarded in Bossier City as unenforceable.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

casingpoint wrote:That law is a city ordinance and is generally regarded in Bossier City as unenforceable.
They do have a signs on the boardwalk that state the "Rules" One of the Rules listed is that there are no guns allowed. I am not surprised that it might be unenforceble though.

While there are grey areas of confusion in Texas, Texas law is usually a lot clearer than in Louisianna.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Piney

Post by Piney »

If I'm not mistaken (and INAL, ect, ect) LA laws simply require that a business post any form of "no guns" signage and that sets the area as off limits to any CHL holders. There are no specifics as to specific wording or size of lettering as here in TX. The tiny line in the dozens of "Rules of Conduct" signage the the Bossier CIty boardwalk is, apparently, all the notice needed.

Another oddity requires that a homeowner be notified and give permission if one is carrying under a CHL if entering their property.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”