Police not happy about relazation of TX CHL law

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

jbirds1210
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Police not happy about relazation of TX CHL law

Post by jbirds1210 »

Purplehood wrote:Wow, I have lived here in Houston since '99 and have yet to experience all this hostility from HPD or HCSD.
I was thinking the exact same thing. I have lived here my entire life and never experienced this hostility.

Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

Liberty
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Liberty »

stevie_d_64 wrote:
Liberty wrote:While I believe in cooperating with the police .. showing the CHL .. I am wondering whether its a good idea to show our CHL to a Houston cop, or Harris county Deputy. They have proven they are the enemy and not to be trusted. If they are out to get us as CHLers maybe we probably shouldn't be giving them ammunition.

I'm still trying to sort this out, buy it does seem as though they are the ones that have picked this battle .. Starting with Chuck Rosenthal.
Come on muh man...This is all old news...Chuck is gone...Not even a bad aftertaste anymore... :hurry: :thumbs2: :tiphat: :cheers2:
It does seem like most of the anti gun politicians seem to come out of Houston, and now that we have a choice, maybe we should make decisions on how we proifile the particular dept,

If I got stopped by a LEO whose department doesn't have a gun unfriendly reputation and isn't known for real aggressive ticketing I believe we should give them every bit of the courtesy they have earned. But departments who don't deserve respect because of political stances by their leader ship, and their revenue gathering bye blue light special. I gotta say I I used to feel that way about Kemah.

I know if my company takes lousy public political stances we all pay for it, I'm just thinking we should co-operate with the bad guys just a little less than the good departments.. When I see the Houston Chief, and the Harris County DA actiually lobbying for us instead of against us, in Austin maybe I'll feel a little different.

Like they say "They're either with us or against us" there isn't much room between. Then again, I admit I haven't thought this thing out, and I actually know a couple of HPD officers and they are really nice people with positive attitudes about their jobs. But the leadership really doesn't seem to like us , and us outa towners can't do much about it.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

rm9792
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rm9792 »

I Know Jack wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:
I Know Jack wrote:.
I am not sure about the resistance of the HPD for law abiding folks to possess handguns, or the past cases....... I can say a few of my friends were disarmed during routine traffic stops in Houston, and handed their ammo back to them one round at a time!! HPD has a hard job, that I would not want, but I will not find myself in Houston without my gun when no HPD officers are not around and if they (HPD) can not respect that, they have a real problem!! Houston is rampant with crime and I will protect myself or property!!
I had an accident (rearended by a drunk) that left me real woozy a few years back. My pistol flew from the console interior to who knows where. No chl but just arriving in houston from Dallas. I was sitting on the seat edge when i saw it under the mat. I had told one of the officers it was somewhere already so some wrecker driver or assistant did not "wander off" with it. When I picked it up the EMS tech got all panicky and called the officer over. All the HPD cop said was "I know, he told me." and never even looked over. They did take it since I was not in any shape to handle it and gave it back later that night. Ammo was out in a baggy. They didnt seem too anti gun then. I really think it depends on the officer involved and current push by the higher ups.

Crapshoot
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Crapshoot »

rm9792 wrote:
I Know Jack wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:
I Know Jack wrote:.
I am not sure about the resistance of the HPD for law abiding folks to possess handguns, or the past cases....... I can say a few of my friends were disarmed during routine traffic stops in Houston, and handed their ammo back to them one round at a time!! HPD has a hard job, that I would not want, but I will not find myself in Houston without my gun when no HPD officers are not around and if they (HPD) can not respect that, they have a real problem!! Houston is rampant with crime and I will protect myself or property!!
I had an accident (rearended by a drunk) that left me real woozy a few years back. My pistol flew from the console interior to who knows where. No chl but just arriving in houston from Dallas. I was sitting on the seat edge when i saw it under the mat. I had told one of the officers it was somewhere already so some wrecker driver or assistant did not "wander off" with it. When I picked it up the EMS tech got all panicky and called the officer over. All the HPD cop said was "I know, he told me." and never even looked over. They did take it since I was not in any shape to handle it and gave it back later that night. Ammo was out in a baggy. They didnt seem too anti gun then. I really think it depends on the officer involved and current push by the higher ups.
Yup. +1
‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln
CHL
NRA
Conservative American
Die Hard Texan

CDH

Post by CDH »

Just an aside...can someone confirm or refute the statement my CHL instructor made? He said that when the police run your DL# it will pop up your CHL status...so they WILL know when they run your DL that you hold a CHL AFTER you are supposed to have presented your CHL license.

Removing the penalty is great, but intentionally not showing (since it is still required by law) it may come across as egging for a conflict. Bad idea...
No damage control is ever as good as prevention.

Commander

Post by Commander »

Your CHL instructor is correct. A DL check will return CHL info and status
"Happiness is a warm gun" - The Beatles - 1969

Commander

dac1842

Post by dac1842 »

True Police of any type are not required to notify as we are. But the fact is, most do. I was an LEO for many years, everytime I stopped another LEO he would identify himself immediately as an LEO and let me know if he was packing. Most understand the importance of the notification and the effect that the notificaiton has on the officers state of mind. I know someone will take off on that, and that is your right. Until you have walked in those shoes, don't critisize those that have.

shootthesheet

Post by shootthesheet »

With the comment by the Chief can I assume if I drive thru Houston with my AR-15 type rifle in the seat beside me and get pulled over I will have a gun pulled on me?

The whole point of these jerks making statements like this is to spread fear and misinformation to those who would be controlled by fear. That is why it is important for all of us to stand up against every one of these little tyrants when they try to harass a law abiding person. They only have the power we allow them to exercise.
http://gunrightsradio.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

dac1842 wrote:True Police of any type are not required to notify as we are. But the fact is, most do. I was an LEO for many years, everytime I stopped another LEO he would identify himself immediately as an LEO and let me know if he was packing. Most understand the importance of the notification and the effect that the notificaiton has on the officers state of mind. I know someone will take off on that, and that is your right. Until you have walked in those shoes, don't critisize those that have.
Police will seldom get a ticket if the identify themselves as a "brother officer"
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

frazzled

Post by frazzled »

03Lightningrocks wrote:
Liberty wrote:While I believe in cooperating with the police .. showing the CHL .. I am wondering whether its a good idea to show our CHL to a Houston cop, or Harris county Deputy. They have proven they are the enemy and not to be trusted. If they are out to get us as CHLers maybe we probably shouldn't be giving them ammunition.

I'm still trying to sort this out, buy it does seem as though they are the ones that have picked this battle .. Starting with Chuck Rosenthal.
I only get to Houston maybe once a month or so but the times I am there I dread getting pulled over by that geztapo law enforcement community. The couple times I had the pleasure of meeting Houstons finest reminded me of little punk kids in high school with an axe to grind. Rude is not a strong enough word for how they acted but is all that will be allowed on this forum.

I am always polite to cops hoping they won't taze me. My thought when the Houston cops walked back to the car was..."please get run over".

To be more serious. The first time I was pulled over in Houston, I thought maybe the guy was just having a bad day. then the next time was just as unpleasant and I thought "no, this isn't just a coincidence, Houston cops have a major bad attitude going on". :mrgreen:
I've never had these problems and never had these issues.
Maybe you should drive better and avoid all these times you get pulled over. Obeying traffic laws does wonders for limiting being pulled over.
People that don't like Houston can leave or don't come here. Don't let the door hit your rear on the way out.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

dac1842 wrote:True Police of any type are not required to notify as we are. But the fact is, most do.....
During my time as a LEO I was out of state on a trip to visit family. I was pulled over for speeding on the Interstate in Tennessee. When I handed the trooper my license I didn't state anything about being a LEO. He looked at the license and asked 'What department do you work for?'. Puzzled by his response I asked him how he knew I was in law enforcement since I had given him no credentials or made any comment as such. He turned my license around and pointed to the photo. I then realized that a couple of months earlier I had been on duty and stopped by to get my DL renewed. Since I was in uniform, the PD collar pins showed up in the photo. :lol:

While I was probably not going fast enough to get anything but a warning in the first place, we just chatted for a couple of minutes and he asked me to slow down a little and sent me on my way.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

jlangton

Post by jlangton »

Liberty wrote: Police will seldom get a ticket if the identify themselves as a "brother officer"
That's exactly why many do just that....the free "get out of jail" card.
JL
"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
-Thomas Jefferson.

6/14/08-CHL Class
10/15/08-Plastic in Hand

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Purplehood »

jlangton wrote:
Liberty wrote: Police will seldom get a ticket if the identify themselves as a "brother officer"
That's exactly why many do just that....the free "get out of jail" card.
JL
I think he is referring to that specific phrase. I too doubt that they would put it that way.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

frazzled wrote:People that don't like Houston can leave or don't come here. Don't let the door hit your rear on the way out.
Then move it somewhere away from the historic sites of my state.

I hear New Orleans is just about the right political climate for Houston.

frazzled

Post by frazzled »

You're just jealous because we have more than one street light.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”