Police not happy about relazation of TX CHL law

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

wford
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Police not happy about relazation of TX CHL law

Post by wford »

XtremeDuty.45 wrote:Exactly. We are still required by law to hand over the CHL. There is just no penalty if we have a "senior moment".

I think a lot of people are confused and think that we now have the option of displaying CHL or not.

:patriot:
Well in the strictest sense we have always had the option to display or not. However prior to Sept 1, we had to face consequences for our choice.

DONT TREAD ON ME

Post by DONT TREAD ON ME »

wford wrote:
XtremeDuty.45 wrote:Exactly. We are still required by law to hand over the CHL. There is just no penalty if we have a "senior moment".

I think a lot of people are confused and think that we now have the option of displaying CHL or not.

Well in the strictest sense we have always had the option to display or not. However prior to Sept 1, we had to face consequences for our choice.
Yes you are right. We always have an option to follow the law or break it!

I Know Jack

Post by I Know Jack »

Newsflash..... I watched this broadcast, When have the Houston Police Dept ever been happy that the citizens are allowed to possess a CHL? and even more of a surprise the Media doesn't like it either!! At least one senator made a good point by sayint the CHL holders are Texas's most upstanding law abiding citizens due to the process to obtain a CHL. If I was a LEO I would not be worried about a CHL holder who does or not disclose his weapon. I would be more worried about the gang banger who has one and will never disclose that fact during any type of a Stop!!

I will show my CHL when stopped as long as I am carrying!
Glock 27
Colt 1911

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 8

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I Know Jack wrote:Newsflash..... I watched this broadcast, When have the Houston Police Dept ever been happy that the citizens are allowed to possess a CHL? and even more of a surprise the Media doesn't like it either!! At least one senator made a good point by sayint the CHL holders are Texas's most upstanding law abiding citizens due to the process to obtain a CHL. If I was a LEO I would not be worried about a CHL holder who does or not disclose his weapon. I would be more worried about the gang banger who has one and will never disclose that fact during any type of a Stop!!

Your right about the Houston police and their stance on CHLers. Was it not Houston that rejected the right to carry while traveling for quite awhile, just after the measure was passed into law? I think I remember my CHL instructer telling us a story about the Houston Police arbitrarily arresting folks for it.

It seems that there is a correlation between the size of the City and the amount of anti-chl sentiment. The larger cities sure seem to have more of an issue with anyone owning a gun than the smaller cities. Houston is huge and cancerous with crime. The police there probably feel like they are in a war zone at times. It is somewhat natural for them to want something/anything they can blame for the crime.

I dunno...just some random thoughts on why larger cities are more anti-gun than smaller ones.

I Know Jack

Post by I Know Jack »

03Lightningrocks wrote:
I Know Jack wrote:Newsflash..... I watched this broadcast, When have the Houston Police Dept ever been happy that the citizens are allowed to possess a CHL? and even more of a surprise the Media doesn't like it either!! At least one senator made a good point by sayint the CHL holders are Texas's most upstanding law abiding citizens due to the process to obtain a CHL. If I was a LEO I would not be worried about a CHL holder who does or not disclose his weapon. I would be more worried about the gang banger who has one and will never disclose that fact during any type of a Stop!!

Your right about the Houston police and their stance on CHLers. Was it not Houston that rejected the right to carry while traveling for quite awhile, just after the measure was passed into law? I think I remember my CHL instructer telling us a story about the Houston Police arbitrarily arresting folks for it.

It seems that there is a correlation between the size of the City and the amount of anti-chl sentiment. The larger cities sure seem to have more of an issue with anyone owning a gun than the smaller cities. Houston is huge and cancerous with crime. The police there probably feel like they are in a war zone at times. It is somewhat natural for them to want something/anything they can blame for the crime.

I dunno...just some random thoughts on why larger cities are more anti-gun than smaller ones.
I am not sure about the resistance of the HPD for law abiding folks to possess handguns, or the past cases....... I can say a few of my friends were disarmed during routine traffic stops in Houston, and handed their ammo back to them one round at a time!! HPD has a hard job, that I would not want, but I will not find myself in Houston without my gun when no HPD officers are not around and if they (HPD) can not respect that, they have a real problem!! Houston is rampant with crime and I will protect myself or property!!
Glock 27
Colt 1911

Stupid
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Stupid »

Purplehood wrote:
45 4 life wrote:http://www.kc3.com/self_defense/officers_peril.htm

Articles like that should be mandatory reading for all on-duty LEO's at least once a year. That would include from the Chief/Sheriff on down...
No offense, but many of those cases, guys stood a good chance of getting shot by the police.

How can they tell a guy coming at them with a gun in hand is a good guy?
Please help the wounded store owner who fought off 3 robbers. He doesn't have medical insurance.
http://www.giveforward.com/ramoncastillo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.click2houston.com/news/26249961/detail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

While I believe in cooperating with the police .. showing the CHL .. I am wondering whether its a good idea to show our CHL to a Houston cop, or Harris county Deputy. They have proven they are the enemy and not to be trusted. If they are out to get us as CHLers maybe we probably shouldn't be giving them ammunition.

I'm still trying to sort this out, buy it does seem as though they are the ones that have picked this battle .. Starting with Chuck Rosenthal.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

PappaGun wrote:I think I'll stay out of Houston. :mrgreen:
Some of us are trying to escape...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Liberty wrote:While I believe in cooperating with the police .. showing the CHL .. I am wondering whether its a good idea to show our CHL to a Houston cop, or Harris county Deputy. They have proven they are the enemy and not to be trusted. If they are out to get us as CHLers maybe we probably shouldn't be giving them ammunition.

I'm still trying to sort this out, buy it does seem as though they are the ones that have picked this battle .. Starting with Chuck Rosenthal.
Come on muh man...This is all old news...Chuck is gone...Not even a bad aftertaste anymore... :hurry: :thumbs2: :tiphat: :cheers2:

As long as the CHL has been around, Ihave never had a bad experience with any agency since its taking effect...It has never been an issue, because "I" do not allow it to become an issue...

I know some have had their problems in this state and elsewhere, but those are certainly a point to be concerned and we need to learn from those incidents we hear about...I think we've done a great job in regards to this issue...

Again, if I am pulled over for breaking the law, that Law Enforcement officer WILL be presented with ALL the documentation needed to ensure he knows who he is dealing with...I will gladly take my citation, and the issue that I have a firearm on me will never be a point of discussion...

Guys, Gals...For the most part Law Enforcement doesn't give a flip about US...Be cool about it, and it will most likely not be a problem...

If you cop an attitude, show any signs of being coy about something, they will begin to have a problem, and the extra scrutiny will be a result of YOUR words and actions, not theirs...

Play it cool, play it professional, and you'll be on your way...The world does not revolve around what you carry on your hip...It revolves around what goes on between yer ears...

(ohhhh, thats a good one...I need to write that one down as well!!! :thumbs2: )
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Liberty wrote:While I believe in cooperating with the police .. showing the CHL .. I am wondering whether its a good idea to show our CHL to a Houston cop, or Harris county Deputy. They have proven they are the enemy and not to be trusted. If they are out to get us as CHLers maybe we probably shouldn't be giving them ammunition.

I only get to Houston maybe once a month or so but the times I am there I dread getting pulled over by that geztapo law enforcement community. The couple times I had the pleasure of meeting Houstons finest reminded me of little punk kids in high school with an axe to grind. Rude is not a strong enough word for how they acted but is all that will be allowed on this forum.

I am always polite to cops hoping they won't taze me. My thought when the Houston cops walked back to the car was..."please get run over".

To be more serious. The first time I was pulled over in Houston, I thought maybe the guy was just having a bad day. then the next time was just as unpleasant and I thought "no, this isn't just a coincidence, Houston cops have a major bad attitude going on". :mrgreen:

stash

Post by stash »

I have been to Houston only a few times and that was just to change planes at the airport. From what I have read here I will make every effort to never have to go or drive thru Houston.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Purplehood »

Wow, I have lived here in Houston since '99 and have yet to experience all this hostility from HPD or HCSD.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

LEO's are as individual as you or me.

I have three cop friends, one HPD, one LaPorte PD, one Baytown PD and a number of cop acquaintances who are all pro-CHL.

In fact, I've yet to know one who isn't.

So, please don't lump them all into a anti-CHL category.

It just isn't so.

3dfxMM

Post by 3dfxMM »

To be more serious. The first time I was pulled over in Houston, I thought maybe the guy was just having a bad day. then the next time was just as unpleasant and I thought "no, this isn't just a coincidence, Houston cops have a major bad attitude going on".
I was just sitting here reading this thread, thinking the same thing about San Antonio cops. :)

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Purplehood »

Abraham wrote:LEO's are as individual as you or me.

I have three cop friends, one HPD, one LaPorte PD, one Baytown PD and a number of cop acquaintances who are all pro-CHL.

In fact, I've yet to know one who isn't.

So, please don't lump them all into a anti-CHL category.

It just isn't so.
:iagree:

Keep in mind that when you are stopped, you may not realize that you too are projecting an attitude (be it positive or negative). That can have alot of bearing on how the LEO handles your particular stop.

I always try to project courtesy (not fawning adoration), and I can only recall getting the same in return even while the LEO merrily writes my citation.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”