Police not happy about relazation of TX CHL law

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ml1209
Posts in topic: 1

Police not happy about relazation of TX CHL law

Post by ml1209 »

Not sure if this is a dupe, but it was new to me.

http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/ ... d644c.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The change, which took effect Sept. 1, removes the penalty for not presenting a concealed handgun license to a peace officer if the officer asks to see identification, and if the person being questioned has a hidden weapon. Until this month, the state could suspend a violator’s concealed handgun license for a year.

garcia946

Re: Police not happy about relazation of TX CHL law

Post by garcia946 »

Like the guy said " I`ll still show me license anyway"
I feel the same way , and that`s what I`ll still do and tell my students it would just makes everything go smoother and more comfortable for everyone.
Even if I really don`t need to show it .
My opinion... :tiphat:
NRA Instructor/RSO
Glock 27 .40 , Sig P229 .40
Right To Carry CHL

wford
Posts in topic: 2

Post by wford »

... will put officers at risk. Thats what they said about chl's in the first place. Assuming a motorist DOESN'T
have a weapon is what puts officers at risk.

boomerang
Posts in topic: 3

Post by boomerang »

Anyone who is upset by this change is an ignorant bigot. And doesn't deserve to carry a gun, wear a badge, or set foot on Texas soil. :txflag:

A peace officer in street clothes spending time with her family on her day off doesn't have to notify.

A federal agent or other special investigator in plain clothes doesn't have to notify.

A convicted felon carrying illegally doesn't have to notify.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

TheArmedFarmer

Post by TheArmedFarmer »

And finally, now we don't have to notify, either. This is a good step in the right direction.
Life member: NRA, THSC, HSLDA.

DONT TREAD ON ME

Post by DONT TREAD ON ME »

We are still required to show CHL it just eliminates any punishments for us if we do not.

Yea I know...if no punishment for not showing why still require us to :banghead:

DONT TREAD ON ME

Maybe I am reading this wrong...but does this quote from the above link worry anyone else?

“When an officer is on a traffic stop and he observes a weapon that he wasn’t made aware of, he is going to draw his weapon until he gets the whole scene under control.”

So, when I hand over my CHL and make them aware of my weapon that they were not aware of before they are supposed to draw their gun on me? Sure hope their finger does not slip.

:patriot:

PappaGun

Post by PappaGun »

boomerang wrote:Anyone who is upset by this change is an ignorant bigot. And doesn't deserve to carry a gun, wear a badge, or set foot on Texas soil. :txflag:

A peace officer in street clothes spending time with her family on her day off doesn't have to notify.

A federal agent or other special investigator in plain clothes doesn't have to notify.

A convicted felon carrying illegally doesn't have to notify.
:iagree:

The comments by the Union president are not warranted or justified.
The attitude displayed by Mr. Blankinship is naive.

I think I'll stay out of Houston. :mrgreen:
"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe."
- Noah Webster

"All we ask for is registration, just like we do for cars."
- Charles Schumer

Kevinf2349

Post by Kevinf2349 »

XtremeDuty.45 wrote:Maybe I am reading this wrong...but does this quote from the above link worry anyone else?

“When an officer is on a traffic stop and he observes a weapon that he wasn’t made aware of, he is going to draw his weapon until he gets the whole scene under control.”

So, when I hand over my CHL and make them aware of my weapon that they were not aware of before they are supposed to draw their gun on me? Sure hope their finger does not slip.

I wonder if they ever read what they are writting about?

How can he observe it if it is concealed? Am I missing something here? :headscratch
Glock - When a FTF just isn't an option!

04/24/09 - CHL Class
08/17/09 - Plastic in hand!

NRA & TSRA Member

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

"Society doesn't have a gun problem; Society has a society problem"

LittleGun

Post by LittleGun »

Interesting phrasing in the article: "...the Texas Legislature which quietly relaxed the state’s concealed weapons rules at the end of last session." The change was no quieter than other changes of the last session.

DONT TREAD ON ME

Kevinf2349 wrote:
XtremeDuty.45 wrote:Maybe I am reading this wrong...but does this quote from the above link worry anyone else?

I wonder if they ever read what they are writting about?

How can he observe it if it is concealed? Am I missing something here? :headscratch
I thought the same thing after I posted. How can they observe a weapon if it is concealed/out of plain view?

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 8

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

How can a person who is so completely ignorant be chief of police? Unbelievable!!!!! Am I the only one who wanted to ask that retard how CHL holders not showing the permit were putting his gestapo at risk but the umpteen thousand other people carrying concealed under the floor mat was not a problem?

You see folks...here is what we did wrong. We are allowing the "intellectually elite" to take over the system and they are slowly twisting the system to keep us from taking it back. The entire story was presented from an elitist liberal democrats point of view. No part of that story made any sense what so ever, but to the casual observer at home it looks as if there will now be mass carnage.

I can just picture this moron telling his officers to pull their guns on folks who don't show their permit. :mad5

joe817

Post by joe817 »

ml1209, thanks for posting that article. It gives us some insight of some short sighted LEO's.

XtremeDuty.45 yes this quote worries me:
When an officer is on a traffic stop and he observes a weapon that he wasn’t made aware of, he is going to draw his weapon until he gets the whole scene under control
Let's think about that. The operative word in the term Concealed Handgun License is Concealed. I highly doubt that a CHL holder will have a gun visible that allows the weapon to be observed in the first place. How could the officer "observe a weapon" if it's not concealed??? The answer" He can't....because it's CONCEALED! OR....that person is not a CHL holder.

Yet Mr.Blankenship is assuming that because that officer sees a gun that a person has, that he must be a CHL holder. It's obvious that he does not hold in high regard the CHL holder. And that's a shame. Thank goodness that man is not in the majority of LEO's who DO.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

joe817

Post by joe817 »

I see that my s l o w t y p i n g resulted in 2 other people pointing out what I just did, before I posted. :lol: :oops: :shock: :roll:

Well, at least we are all on the same page! More than I can say for the people in the article! ;-)
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

DONT TREAD ON ME

Thats ok. I type slow too. But thats mainly 'cause I cannot read fast! "rlol"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”