more changes in the works

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
rjr5545
Posts in topic: 1

more changes in the works

Post by rjr5545 »

Got off the phone with Austin yesterday. I had a question about buying and using using blank FD-258 FBI fingerprint cards and adding the ORI codes in. I was told it wouldn't be worth buying FBI cards as they are getting ready to go to transmitted fingerprints as soon as they can. This will put an end to classroom fingerprinting and require student to see IBT or such for the electronic fingerprints. I had been told about this by a high ranking HPD offical, that's in the loop on fingerprinting with the state, and yesterday seems to confirm this. I have not heard about a time line, but I was told it would not be worth ordering a stock of blank cards. Also after the first they will still supply packages until the supply is exhausted. Just didn't know about any cost. If you take a look at all the copies it would still be worth the current cost just for that reason, let alone the time of making the packages. One of the things I have decided to do is offer a CD of the manual and other information they see in class, plus some of the Dispute Resolution Acronyms and info and give them a choice of the book or CD and still have the manual in the classroom for use. That's 34 copies at .16 cents a page for double sided copies.

Catfight

Re: more changes in the works

Post by Catfight »

Did you get an idea of when "soon" is with regard to changing to electronic fingerprints?
Texas CHL Instructor
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and HFS
TCLEOSE Certified Police Instructor
NRA Member

Greybeard
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Greybeard »

It's been at least 2 years ago when I spoke with them about similar and such was "in the works", but no time line. Supposedly, also the possibility of digital photos being sent electronically with the fingerprints. I can see all this eventually being an option, but just don't believe they can make it 100% mandatory. But I've been wrong before ....
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

roberts
Banned

Post by roberts »

There are probably a lot of smaller counties in Texas without a digital fingerprint facility. Will DPS start doing the digital prints free at all DPS offices? They already take a digital thumb print everywhere I think.
THE SECOND AMENDMENT IS NOT ABOUT DUCK HUNTING

joe817

Post by joe817 »

roberts wrote:There are probably a lot of smaller counties in Texas without a digital fingerprint facility. Will DPS start doing the digital prints free at all DPS offices? They already take a digital thumb print everywhere I think.
The DPS website is recommending CHL applicants have their fingerprints taken at the FAST locations. There are 83 locations spread throughout the state(See the website for details).

If they are in fact , going to that method exclusively, I would also think they would enlist the resources of the city PD's that do have the electronic fingerprint method, and have them made available to the CHL applicant as well. Along with the DPS offices that have that ability as well, and IMO, the state is pretty well covered with that service.

Note: I am only speculating, and have no idea if any of what I suggested is in the works. It would not bother me if it is in the works, as with what I suggested above, only a very few people are inconvenienced with a substantial drive, if any to get fingerprinted. It would be an interesting study unto itself to calculate the coverage within a given mileage, how many people statewide ARE within the service areas. Just my thoughts.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

roberts
Banned

Post by roberts »

The IRS recommends e-file but they haven't made it mandatory yet. Thank goodness. Maybe the switch to e-prints will be similar.
THE SECOND AMENDMENT IS NOT ABOUT DUCK HUNTING

gpeloq

Post by gpeloq »

At the rate the State is rejecting ink prints, they can basicly make it mandnatory without putting it in writing. Our reject percentage has gone from about 3% two years ago to 73% as of late. We gave up and are sending everyone to fastprint.
TX CHL Instructor
NRA Instructor:
Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection in the Home, Refuse to Be a Victim
NRA RSO

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

When I researched the deal that DPS cut with the electronic fingerprinting people several years ago, a part of it was they (Identix? original name) had an "exclusive" on the process of electronic submittals of "good guys". And their "prime "subcontractor" was a HUB (Historically Underutilized Business) - likley how they got the contract (IIRC, a minimum 2, maybe 3 years). Also, IIRC, law enforcement agencies could submit fingerprints electronically for "criminals" but the outfit had an an "exclusive" for all others. The big rub kicked in for CHL people when only a small percentage of the Identix (named now changed) offices had printers, as the CHL required printed cards. It would likely take another open records act request to get a handle on what type of contract is working now, but I'd bet a six pack of Dr. Pepper ;-) that it involves a HUB (efficient or not) somewhere near the top of the chain. "Follow the money."
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

KFP

Post by KFP »

DPS explained the fingerprinting situation during this summers instructor course - they take a look at the cards submitted and determine if they'll send them on to the Feds. If the prints don't look like they'll go through they kick them back to the applicant to have them redone. The reason that DPS gave for doing this, is that the FBI charges them $10 per card run, regardless of if has good prints or not. So, you can see how the cost will add up for DPS if they put "bad" prints through to the FBI.

I'm not sure of the current situation with the digital prints and contracts, but do know that the Collin County Sheriff will do the digital prints for free if you wait. Waiting can often be very long depending on how many others are being "processed" at that time - on the plus side they're open 24/7 at the CC Detention Center where the prints are done.
Life Member NRA & TSRA

GaryTx

Post by GaryTx »

KFP wrote:DPS explained the fingerprinting situation during this summers instructor course - they take a look at the cards submitted and determine if they'll send them on to the Feds. If the prints don't look like they'll go through they kick them back to the applicant to have them redone. The reason that DPS gave for doing this, is that the FBI charges them $10 per card run, regardless of if has good prints or not. So, you can see how the cost will add up for DPS if they put "bad" prints through to the FBI.

I'm not sure of the current situation with the digital prints and contracts, but do know that the Collin County Sheriff will do the digital prints for free if you wait. Waiting can often be very long depending on how many others are being "processed" at that time - on the plus side they're open 24/7 at the CC Detention Center where the prints are done.
I've had as many rejects from the Collin County Sheriff's Department (Collin County Detention Center) as I have from other places that roll the prints.
NRA Life Member
http://www.texasLTCacademy.com.com
CHL Classes | Basic Handgun Classes | NRA Classes

KFP

Post by KFP »

GaryTx wrote:
KFP wrote:DPS explained the fingerprinting situation during this summers instructor course - they take a look at the cards submitted and determine if they'll send them on to the Feds. If the prints don't look like they'll go through they kick them back to the applicant to have them redone. The reason that DPS gave for doing this, is that the FBI charges them $10 per card run, regardless of if has good prints or not. So, you can see how the cost will add up for DPS if they put "bad" prints through to the FBI.

I've had as many rejects from the Collin County Sheriff's Department (Collin County Detention Center) as I have from other places that roll the prints.
Clearly it's possible to have rejects on either side, but I'm surprised that you've had that many with the electronic system. They had a red/green readout that evaluated the quality of prints immediately, and redid any that the machine didn't like. I guess someone who is a pro at rolling people's prints would skew the results as well.
Life Member NRA & TSRA

Return to “Instructors' Corner”