Please Suggest A Dependable .22LR Auto Pistol

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

CompVest
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Please Suggest A Dependable .22LR Auto Pistol

Post by CompVest »

The P22 is an excellent choice for small hands. I like mine because it is cute and yes it is a good shooting gun! However, if I am going to shoot a 22 I always pull out my Buckmark. I know I can always put the round in the X ring with it.
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

NcongruNt
Posts in topic: 1

Post by NcongruNt »

Good job. I've got a 5" P22 and have found it to be very dependable. It's not picky on ammo at all, unless its just bad ammo *cough*RemingtonGoldenBullet*cough* with bad primers that won't ignite no matter how many times you hit them.

My P22 will feed and fire everything I give it, and I have nary a problem with light strikes. I compared the primer strikes against my Marlin 60 and found that the P22 pin striking surface is much narrower and "sharper" (for lack of a better word), which seems to account for its reliability in getting rounds to fire. I've never had a misfeed on mine, and It cycles anything from low power subsonic rounds up to the super-hot Aguila Supermaximum rounds (rated at 1750fps, but surely not out of my P22's 5" barrel) without a hiccup.

The trigger is a bit lacking, as it's quite gritty at the end of the pull, but is an OK starter .22LR pistol, especially for folks with small hands. The interchangeable backstrap is a nice touch, and lets you get adjust the grip to your liking. I have found it a good learning gun, as it tends to exaggerate any problems with technique without throwing things too far off, and aids new shooters in learning grip and trigger control.
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

android
Posts in topic: 2

Post by android »

NcongruNt wrote:Good job. I've got a 5" P22 and have found it to be very dependable. It's not picky on ammo at all, unless its just bad ammo *cough*RemingtonGoldenBullet*cough* with bad primers that won't ignite no matter how many times you hit them.

The trigger is a bit lacking, as it's quite gritty at the end of the pull, but is an OK starter.
That was pretty easy to fix. The trigger bar is a stamped, die-cut piece of metal. The edges are not clean up at all. The mfg grinds the bare minimum number of surfaces required to get it to work at all.

I filed off all the sharp edges and rounded and polished all the sides and edges. It made a huge difference and the trigger is very smooth now.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

frazzled wrote:1. Finicky-real finicky or will it eat Remington, Federal, and Winchesters ok?
2. How's the trigger pull?
3. How about dissassembly?
1. Medium finicky... seems to prefer a higher velocity load... haven't notice a brand preference.
2. Trigger pull is outstanding... very light... very crisp... like a good 1911.
3. Disassembly is not too hard... easier than on the Ruger... but not intuitive like on a 1911.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Rawb77

Post by Rawb77 »

I would also agree with the Walther P22. It is a very well built handgun. The sister gun the P99 is also very well built. Good family of Guns the Walter "P's"
CHL Class - 03/28/09
Mailed out - 03/30/09
DPS received 04/02/09
Processing 05/18/09
Plastic In hand 09/04/09

Sigfan

Post by Sigfan »

I wanted a .22 pistol as well and ended up going with a .22 conversion for my Sig 226. It was just under $300. I like it because I have the same trigger pull and feel for one of my self defense firearms, at a much lower cost to shoot. I am going to get one for my 220 as well. There is a lot to be said for consistancy across training.

rangefinderII

Post by rangefinderII »

I have a Ruger Mark II and a 22/45. No problem with either. Also have a Taurus PT-22 - really a fun gun - pocket pistol.

CDH

Post by CDH »

+1 on the Buckmark. Mine is the Camper version with nice, grippy rubber grips. My only problem is the rear sight screws come loose when I don't torque them down enough. I always feel like the little hex screws shouldn't take that much force...but they do.

I had a buddy with a Walther P22 which had nothing but problems. Jamming was occasional, but accuracy was bad...very bad. He doesn't sell many guns, but he sent that one down the road.
No damage control is ever as good as prevention.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”