Picked up a new Sig

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
john L
Posts in topic: 2

Picked up a new Sig

Post by john L »

Well, I went to the store with intentions of buying a new Walther P-22 for plinking, but instead bought a new Sig Sauer Mosquito .22LR. It was closer in size and feel to the wife's 9mm, than the P22 was; I wanted what ever I bought to help build her muscle memory for her 9mm. I can keep her qualified for a lot less money with the .22 cal.

Range report will follow...........

joe817
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Picked up a new Sig

Post by joe817 »

That is a really good looking gun. You did well. :thumbs2:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Salty1

Post by Salty1 »

They are fun plinkers and keep the feel of the larger Sig's. Jusr remember they can be ammo sensitive, keep with the CCI mini mags as stated in the manual and you will be all set. I sold mine cause I thought I was through with it and wish I never did. May be buying another soon.
Salty1

webb3201

Post by webb3201 »

I have one and made the exact same choice you did with the Sig over the Walther. My 12 year old has really enjoyed shooting this thing, although you will want to use CCI Mini Mags. We tried to use bulk Remington and rarely got through a mag. After pumping a couple of hundred rounds of CCI through the Mosquito, its has been flawless. Congrats on a great gun.
07/25/2009 - Online application complete
08/16/2009 - CHL Class
08/19/2009 - CHL Application Mailed
08/24/2009 - Application Received
09/21/2009 - CHL application processing
11/04/2009 - Application Approved
11/06/2009 - Plastic in hand

WEC

Post by WEC »

Sharp looking pistol. Keep me in mind if you want to sell it. ;-)
"We are oft to blame in this / 'Tis too much proved -- that with devotion's visage / And pious action we do sugar o'er / The devil himself."
Μολὼν λαβέ | NRA Lifetime Member

Topic author
john L
Posts in topic: 2

Post by john L »

Well I finally had a chance to take it our and see what she's made of. After an initial cleaning, I ran 200 rounds of Remington Thunderbolts through it with out a single problem.

I also was happy to see it was dead on accurate at 40 feet. The recoil is pleasant, yet will be enough to keep the wife in practice having to realign the target between shots. The trigger pull is smooth, short and feels pretty light. Of course the trigger pull is considerably longer when firing in double action mode, but is still a smooth pull. Over all, I'm very impressed with the Mosquito and the only complaint I could come up with is the safety is "off" when the lever is in the up position; which I just find odd, but not a problem, especially with a non defensive carry pistol.

This is the first Sig I've owned, so I have to ask if all the safeties on their pistols are like that; off in the up position?

Later I'll try some different brands of ammo and find it's outer limits on cheap ammo. The pistol came with a spare "lighter" slide spring for use with lighter ammo loads. All of todays rounds were fired with the heavier spring installed.

hheremtp

Post by hheremtp »

John,
Sig does not usually have an external safety on their pistols, with the exception of the p238 and their 1911.
Steve

longhorn_92

Post by longhorn_92 »

hheremtp wrote:John,
Sig does not usually have an external safety on their pistols, with the exception of the p238 and their 1911.
You are correct - however the Sig Mosquito has additional safety features that include an internal locking device and slide mounted ambidextrous safety.
“If you try to shoot me, I will have to shoot you back, and I promise you I won’t miss!”

NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Member

gmckinl

Post by gmckinl »

john L wrote:This is the first Sig I've owned, so I have to ask if all the safeties on their pistols are like that; off in the up position?
I'm not a Sig guy, so I had to refer back to the picture. The Sig has the safety on the slide vs on the frame. Normally, slide mounted safeties operate like that, which is the opposite of frame mounted safeties. There are probably exceptions, but that's what I have observed.
NRA Life Member

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”