Please Suggest A Dependable .22LR Auto Pistol

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 3

Please Suggest A Dependable .22LR Auto Pistol

Post by Abraham »

I've looked into buying a .22LR conversion kit for my Glock 19 and it appears the cost would equal (or come very close) to the cost of a new .22LR pistol. Since there's no economic benefit to buying a conversion kit vs. an outright purchase of a new pistol, I may as well buy a new pistol.

My problem: I haven't a clue as to what to buy. It seems everything I've considered has some dependability issues, i.e., the Sig Mosquito.

If you have experience with a dependable .22LR I'd appreciate your recommendations. (This'll be a range gun) I'd also like to add that simplicity in cleaning/maintenance is important. I'm not interested in something that breaks down into many moving parts as I have two left thumbs...

Thanks!

USA1
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Please Suggest A Dependable .22LR Auto Pistol

Post by USA1 »

Last edited by USA1 on Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

I have a Browning Buckmark that has never had a problem except for the occasional fail-to-fire. In 100 rounds it might have 1 round not fire. There's always an indention in the case so it might be faulty ammo. It's a great range gun IMO. Not a lot of parts when you strip for cleaning either.
Charlie

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

I would suggest the newest Ruger (Mark II or III?), but assembly is a bit of a bear. They are good shooting pistols.

Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

Who'sJohnGalt

Post by Who'sJohnGalt »

I love my Walther P22. Shoots where I point it, all over the target, and I haven't had any issues. I've had one bad bulk box of Remington (FTF), the others have been fine. All Federal and CCI have never had a FTF.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Abraham wrote:I've looked into buying a .22LR conversion kit for my Glock 19 and it appears the cost would equal (or come very close) to the cost of a new .22LR pistol. Since there's no economic benefit to buying a conversion kit vs. an outright purchase of a new pistol, I may as well buy a new pistol.

My problem: I haven't a clue as to what to buy. It seems everything I've considered has some dependability issues, i.e., the Sig Mosquito.

If you have experience with a dependable .22LR I'd appreciate your recommendations. (This'll be a range gun) I'd also like to add that simplicity in cleaning/maintenance is important. I'm not interested in something that breaks down into many moving parts as I have two left thumbs...

Thanks!
If you are looking for a full-blown pistol, check out the Ruger 22/45. It has the same grip feel as the 1911. Even the Ruger Mark III is a good pistol.

Some folks have had good luck with the Browning Buckmark, but I have never had any experience with them so can't tell you first hand.

I have a Ciener conversion kit for the 1911 and really like it. He makes them for the Glock 19 also. You can buy one for about $200, so a little cheaper than you will find a .22 pistol for, but you won't have to deal with swapping slides all the time.

Good luck on your search!
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Abraham »

Keith,

Thanks for insight on the conversion kit.

It's been suggested to me that Advantage Arms conversion kits are THE kits to buy for a Glock. I've heard this from more than one source, including one from a Glock rep. That said, they are cost over $300.00.

I will definitely look into the Ciener kits, but I'm still strongly interested in buying a stand alone pistol.

Years ago, I had a Hi-Standard Stainless .22LR - 9 shot revolver that I dearly wish I still had, oh well...

CompVest
Posts in topic: 4

Post by CompVest »

+1 for the Browning Buckmark. I paid for mine by shooting Turkey shoots with it. Very accurate and very dependable!
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

wheelgun1958

Post by wheelgun1958 »

I have an old High Standard that runs like a clock. Easy to break down. Remove magazine, lock the slide back, remove the barrel and remove the slide. Reassembly is reverse.
Last edited by wheelgun1958 on Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

I have an old High Standard that runs like a clock as well. I love that gun.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

frazzled

Post by frazzled »

Beretta Neo is cheap, accurate, and easy to dissassemble. Can find anywhere but Academy has them dirt cheap.
Ruger marks are good. the target versions have some so the sweetest trigger on earth. Look up accurate in the dictionary and you will see a pic of one. Difficult to dissassemble though and could influence your purchase.
Browning Buckmarks. Never shot but have heard very good things about. easier to dissassmble than the Ruger.

Here's a board on nothing but .22LRs
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

As far as reliability goes, Buckmark or Ruger. I own a BM and my brother a Ruger no problems with either.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mrvmax »

Ruger 22/45 - I added a red dot sight and this gun is extremely accurate. In the days before I had a staple gun I would use push pins to hold the targets. After I was done shooting I would shoot the push pins off. It's cheap, relaible and fun to shoot.

BTW, if you buy the Ruger or Browning you need to buy "The Ultimate Cliploader". It makes shooting much faster and more fun.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I bought a Ruger 22/45 Mark III Hunter a while back (picture below). It, and my Model 29 .44 magnum are the two most fun to shoot pistols I own. I will echo jbirds1210's comment that taking it apart is easy, but putting it back together again is a bit tricky. You do kind of get the hang of it after a while. In any case, it is an absolute tack driver, and it doesn't seem to care much about ammo selection.

Also, my son recently acquired a S&W Model 22A (pictured below). It is marginally more accurate than my Ruger, but it is also more finicky about ammo. It is also cheaper than the Ruger. That said, the location of the magazine release button - on the front strap - is kind of funky. Sometimes you eject the magazine without meaning to.

They are very different pistols, but both are a hoot to shoot.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

paadams

Post by paadams »

I have about 2000 rounds through a Walther P22 and I love it. My only complaint is the small pistol grip. I've considered getting a conversion kit for Glock just for that reason. I'd love to be able to practice with something that felt more like what I carry.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”