Need your advice

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Rodrockinoff
Posts in topic: 4

Need your advice

Post by Rodrockinoff »

Question for you guys: Is it safe for me to carry my model 37 S & W airweight in my front pocket with ALL five rounds loaded? All of my buddies are leaving the chamber in front of the firing pin blank (for safety). Four rounds ain't much. Wonder what you think.

I have a CS9 and I can carry 8 shots (7 + 1) but it is almost twice as heavy and bigger. Would like to feel good about carrying 5 in the 37 BUT I value my knee-caps, feet, and other people. Give me some advice here.

Thanks in advance. :confused5

MoJo
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Need your advice

Post by MoJo »

Carry it fully loaded. The reason for downloading a revolver stems from the days of single action revolvers where the firing pin could hit the primer if the hammer was struck. Modern designs don't have this problem. I carry my Taurus ultra lite fully loaded.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

WEC
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WEC »

Do you use a pocket holster? If you're worried about something engaging the trigger and dropping the hammer, a good pocket holster such as a Desantis Nemesis with a sufficient trigger shroud may allay some of your hesitation.
"We are oft to blame in this / 'Tis too much proved -- that with devotion's visage / And pious action we do sugar o'er / The devil himself."
Μολὼν λαβέ | NRA Lifetime Member

Topic author
Rodrockinoff

Thanks for the replies

Post by Rodrockinoff »

Thank you Mojo & Wec. It's in a Desantis Nemesis OR just bare in the pocket.

I am considering an experiment: I am going to take my (hard) rubber-headed hammer to the range and hold the gun on the target, then get a friend to whack the hammer (in the closed position). That should reveal something, don't you think? I'm not too worried about trigger problems, just how reliable the hammer is.

barres

Post by barres »

You don't need to beat your handgun into submission. Modern revolvers have a transfer bar that moved between the hammer and the firing pin when the trigger is held to the rear. If the trigger is not pulled, the transfer bar is out of the way, and the hammer cannot contact the firing pin. Load up all five chambers and feel secure.
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

Topic author
Rodrockinoff

Post by Rodrockinoff »

barres wrote:You don't need to beat your handgun into submission. Modern revolvers have a transfer bar that moved between the hammer and the firing pin when the trigger is held to the rear. If the trigger is not pulled, the transfer bar is out of the way, and the hammer cannot contact the firing pin. Load up all five chambers and feel secure.
Thanks a million, Barres. I kind of thought something like that might be the case but just didn't know. By the way... I ALSO live in Prison City (retired University faculty). Where do you go to shoot? Where to you find ammo? Send me a PM.

Thanks,

Rod

WEC
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WEC »

Rod, I had a thought that your original request for advice can also be related to those who find trepidation in carrying a semi-auto in condition 1. Here's a thread discussing it: http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... 53&t=23319" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lots of good advice and philosophy in those pages. HTH!
"We are oft to blame in this / 'Tis too much proved -- that with devotion's visage / And pious action we do sugar o'er / The devil himself."
Μολὼν λαβέ | NRA Lifetime Member

Topic author
Rodrockinoff

Post by Rodrockinoff »

WEC wrote:Rod, I had a thought that your original request for advice can also be related to those who find trepidation in carrying a semi-auto in condition 1. Here's a thread discussing it: http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... 53&t=23319" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lots of good advice and philosophy in those pages. HTH!
Thanks, WEC. I enjoyed that thread. Learned a lot. I really appreciate the "enlightenment."

Rod

Glockin in the USA

Post by Glockin in the USA »

Do NOT pocket carry ANY firearm without a pocket holster! I can't stress this enough.
Glockin' in the USA
G19, G26, Ruger SP101 .357, Baby Eagle .40 Compact, Taurus PT-92, Ruger LCP, Sig P220 Compact, Browning 7mm mag, Remington 870 Express Tactical, Ruger 10/22
What great thing would you attempt if you knew you could not fail? - Robert H Shuller

AEA

Post by AEA »

Glockin in the USA wrote:Do NOT pocket carry ANY firearm without a pocket holster! I can't stress this enough.
I do not agree. :???:
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

Glockin in the USA wrote:Do NOT pocket carry ANY firearm without a pocket holster! I can't stress this enough.
If you don't carry anything else in that pocket, the biggest problem you'd have would be pocket lint.

No big deal!
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

A-R

Post by A-R »

Mike1951 wrote:
If you don't carry anything else in that pocket, the biggest problem you'd have would be pocket lint.

No big deal!
If you pocket carry without at least a minimalist pocket holster (DeSantis, Uncle Mike's, Blackhawk etc), then you run a substantional risk (especially with really small guns like .25 autos, Kel Tec/Ruger LCP size .380s, and even 5-shot revolvers) of the gun twisting out of proper position in your pocket during the course of the day. Then, if you need the gun quickly, the grip is not where you think it will be, the gun may even be sitting upside down in your pocket, making any sort of fast draw/fast presentation impossible. All depends on your particular pockets of course, it's conceivable that some pockets could just "fit" a particular gun just right ... but you better wear those pants every time you pocket carry.

4t5

Post by 4t5 »

The other problem with no holster is that it will wear a hole in your pocket pretty quickly.

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

I agree that you need a pocket holster. Otherwise there is always the distinct possibility that you grab the weapon by the trigger.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

wheelgun1958

Post by wheelgun1958 »

Rodrockinoff wrote:Is it safe for me to carry my model 37 S & W airweight in my front pocket with ALL five rounds loaded?
I do it nearly every day.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”