Just ordered a Glock 20SF (10mm)

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
CC Italian
Posts in topic: 6

Just ordered a Glock 20SF (10mm)

Post by CC Italian »

It should be here in two days. I can't wait. After shooting my dad's best friends Glock 20 I fell in love with the caliber. Grip was a little big but I went to a gun dealer and held the new 21SF which is the same as the 10mm but with the .45ACP round. It fit like a glove. I have the Glock 27 and love it. I have never had a problem with the glock. Yes its ugly but they perform. Ammo will be expensive unless I reload myself but its a blast to shoot. It will most likely be a nightstand gun and could carry it in the winter. This was my college graduation present to myself. I ordered some double tap rounds for it also. I will post some pics when it comes in.

Greybeard
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Just ordered a Glock 20SF (10mm)

Post by Greybeard »

Good to see ya already know about Double Tap Ammo. Good people. Got started by makin' "real" 10mm loads.

FWIW, I used to have the Glock 29. After finding that it and most Glocks would function with just about any ammo, that 10mm did not run reliably with Remington Golden Sabers ... For whatever reason, way too many FTFs with those bullets in my 29 ... IIRC, it was 180 grainers ...
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Very nice present. Pictures would be cool.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
CC Italian

Post by CC Italian »

Here it is. Shot only 14 rounds through it today at the range. The double tap has not come in yet but the gunsmith gave me 14 rounds of Federal American Eagles. Recoil was very mild. Less then the Remington’s I shot before in a G20. I can’t wait for the DT to get in. Shot great and was very accurate at 20 yards. All shots hit the silhouette target. I shot 13 in the head and one in the neck, very accurate. I did pick up some 180gr Federal JHP but didn't want to shoot and waste them. When the DT gets here I will have a more in depth report.
Attachments
Width of grip is similar to glock 17 but is still a little bit bigger
Width of grip is similar to glock 17 but is still a little bit bigger
SF
SF
Here is the new Glock 20SF
Here is the new Glock 20SF
Last edited by CC Italian on Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
CC Italian

Post by CC Italian »

Here are some more pics
Attachments
As you can see it fits my smaller hands very well. Something the regular G20 could not.
As you can see it fits my smaller hands very well. Something the regular G20 could not.
gun 5.JPG
gun 4.JPG
Last edited by CC Italian on Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
CC Italian

Post by CC Italian »

Here is the 10mm next to the .40 S&W. Can't wait for the hot loads.
Attachments
.40 next to 10mm
.40 next to 10mm

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

CC Italian:
It's a pleasure to see someone excited about their new baby.

For those of us who are not familiar with Double Tap ammo, can you say a few
words about them? I assume that they are JHP's.

By the way, Ted Nugent carries a Glock 10MM people behind his back, according
to the July 2009 issue of Texas Monthly. They did not show it or mention the exact
Glock model number. There's a link on the other thread about famous people who are
2A friends and what they carry.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Topic author
CC Italian

Post by CC Italian »

I have never shot Double Tap, only American Eagles and Remington in 10mm. I was told by my father's friend that they make quality 10mm hot loads. 10mm can be weak loads (like the federal American Eagle I shot today), Medium loads like Hornady, Remington and Winchester Silvertips and Hot loads (Two most common companies that I have heard of are DT and Buffalo Bore). The DT that I ordered is just the FMJ 180gr but are rated at 1250fps and 625ftlbs. This is their mildest load. This is similar to the Winchester Silvertips. DT’s 135 gainers run 1600fps and 767ft lbs from a G20. That’s a Hot Load!!!! Where the 10mm really shines is when it moves a 180 gr. round at 1350fps while most .40 S&W can't do that with a 135gr round. I will give a full review on the ammo and post pics of it. If I am happy with their quality and performance I will order more and get some JHP also. I only ordered 150 rounds to start me off. Most 10mm guys buy it in 300 plus rounds because it is so hard to find over the counter.

Go to doubletapammo.com and check it out.

Mike from Texas

Post by Mike from Texas »

Congrats on the purchase. You will love it.

Couple of things;

1) Ammo is not as expensive OR hard to find as most people imply. I have no problem finding ammo for mine and it s only about 10% more expensive than 45ACP.

2) Double Tap ammo is awesome. I typically carry their 135 grain load in summer with a magazine of 165 grain Gold Dots as backup. For hunting I carry the DT 200 grain HP loads.

3) You can buy various different caliber barrels for your G20 as well. You can get a 40 S&W barrel, a 357 SIG barrel, and a 9x25 Dillon barrel, all while using your stock magazines and other parts.

Enjoy your new weapon, it's a good one. :thumbs2:
A few Glocks, a few Kahrs, Dan Wesson CBOB 10mm, Dan Wesson CBOB 45ACP, Springer Champion Operator

****************************************************************************************************

Street2Peschel

Post by Street2Peschel »

YES!!!!!!

I also have a Glock 20SF and LOVE it. I loved it so much that I turned around and bought the Glock 29SF (10mm subcompact) to carry. The 10mm is a nasty round and the Glock 20 is one of the most versatile guns they make. Mine are hands down my two favorite guns that I own. All of my other pistols have been in the safe since I bought them...except my Glock 27 has been taken over by my wife.

Double Tap ammo is easily the best that I have used. I carry the 200 grain HP loads for killing hogs on the way to my bow stand and 165 grain for killing anything or anyone else that attacks me!

Enjoy your new weapon and welcome to the 10mm cult, er...club.

Topic author
CC Italian

Post by CC Italian »

Ok, finally got to go to the range with a vast assortment of ammo.
Double Tap 135 gr. jhp 1608fps 767ftlbs
Double Tap 155 gr. jhp Bonded defense 1475fps 750ftlbs
Double Tap 180 gr. FMJ Match 1250fps 625ftlbs
Double Tap 180 gr. jhp Bonded defense 1300fps 676ftlbs
Double Tap 200 gr. WFN 1300fps 750ftlbs
Federal Premium Hydro shock 180gr JHP 1030fps 424ftlbs
CCI Blazer 200gr. Aluminum case TMJ 1050fps 490ftlbs

I took my time shooting and spent about 2 1/2 hours at the range. I also wrote a few notes down between different ammo. I know I am a nerd but I thought I should attempt to properly review the ammo.

First off, Double Tap ammo is just what everybody has been raving about, it’s that good. I inspected several cases from all grs. There were no imperfections in the cases or blemishes. All 250-300 rounds fired flawlessly with no FTFs, 150 were double tap rounds. The 135 gr.JHP was the most accurate out of all the rounds and the bullet hit the target at 20 yards almost as fast as my .30 .30 win. Grouping was within 4in and recoil was evident but not unmanageable by any means. The 155gr DT was similar to the 135 and I couldn't really tell much of a difference and grouping seemed to get a little farther apart. The 180gr. match was much milder but almost as accurate as the 135 gr. jhp. The 180gr. bonded defense Jhp was harder to control and my grouping was all over the silhouette but I never missed. The 200gr. felt like I was throwing a football out of a gun! The recoil was heavy for me and I just aimed for dead center and hit various parts of the silhouette with 5 going off the silhouette and just hitting the cardboard.

The CCI Blazer shot perfectly and had heavier recoil then the federal but far less then the DT. It’s cheap for 10mm ammo and great for someone who doesn't care about reloading and just wants target ammo. As for the federal JHP, they were very accurate but I assume that is because there was little or no recoil. This is the mildest load I have ever shot out of a 10mm and it is just like shooting a .40S&W, don't waste your time with it.

The DT was awesome and well worth the money. Recoil was a challenge with the heavier grains but I need to practice more. On a side note a gentlemen shooting a Colt .38 Super and a pair of .45 Kimbers in the stall next to me had to move three stalls down because he said it was too loud and he couldn't concentrate. (: I love the 10mm. Sorry for the long post.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”