Introduce yourself

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

jbirds1210
Posts in topic: 33

Post by jbirds1210 »

I have read your site as well and really enjoyed it. There have been several links to your site posted on this forum lately. Straight forward and educational....my wife and I really enjoyed the read. I look forward to learning from your experience and I hope that you can learn a little from ours! Have a great day.
Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

fm2
Posts in topic: 7

Post by fm2 »

Howdy everyone.

I just found this forum. Looks to be a lot of good folks here.

I'm married with 3 children. I've gotten my CHL..... a long time ago, 2 renewals IIRC.

CAL
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CAL »

MoJo wrote:Welcome Cal, 82nd trooper here too - - - I was at Ft. Bragg from January '69 to January '70 I was a "Red Hat" Before that I was with the First Cav in Vietnam.

Oh duh!!! I didn't notice the next page - - - Welcome to all!
Hey bro, good to see you here. BTW, where is Vidor?

stephen_g22
Posts in topic: 1

Post by stephen_g22 »

Howdy all,

Greetings from Houston

Great site. I know Greybeard - I am the proud owner of his model 638. (actually I have never met him but need to wander up to Denton sometime)

I will be a lurker and reader and occasional poster.

I shoot and train at TopGun of Texas in Houston.

I am mainly a glock guy but have a soft place in my heart for wheelguns.

Stay Safe and God Bless!

jbirds1210
Posts in topic: 33

Post by jbirds1210 »

Welcome to the forum Stephen. Enjoy your time here! Sounds like you have pretty good taste in guns! :grin: Take care!
Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

DDuck
Posts in topic: 1

Post by DDuck »

Hello everyone,

I have been looking over the forum for a few days now and decided to join. I used to shoot handguns years ago and now that I have retired I am taking it up again.

Age -- 67
Gender -- Male
Profession -- Retired in 2004 from large information tecnology co.
Marital status -- Married 46 years, same woman, children - 2 girls.
Years CHL -- 0 - I intend taking the class in the next few weeks.
TSR Dist. 89
Guns -- Glock 19, Ruger 357, S&W 357, S&W small frame 38.

DDuck

pdouglas
Posts in topic: 3

Hello

Post by pdouglas »

Hi all,

I've been reading a lot of posts here over the last couple weeks. Thanks for all the great information, it has been very informative.

I live in Houston in Memorial and I am a Residential Real Estate agent with Coldwell Banker United.

I shoot at Top Gun. I currently have a 9mm Beretta Mini-Cougar, which I have owned for about 5 years. I have enjoyed it and I'm looking to get another one, not sure what to get yet. I am waiting for my CHL to get processed. The web just says Packet Mailed to Applicant. - It is frustrating - they have had it for 3+ weeks and no status changes.

I was reading on here about an event the end of Sept. at PSC. Is PSC Pearland Shooting Center? Please add me to the reminder list, I would like to attend too.

Thanks again and I look forward to getting to know some of you.

Patrick

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 24

Post by Crossfire »

Welcome, Patrick! If nothing else, going through the CHL process will teach you patience! Hang in there, it will come eventually.

And, while you are waiting, please encourage your fellow agents to consider getting their CHLs also (especially the ladies). Given the recent events here in DFW area, a CHL should probably be a prerequisite to a real estate license.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 61

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Welcome Patrick!

PSC is the PSC Shooting Club on FM528 (a/k/a Parkwood) in Friendswood, TX. I'll be posting updates here as we get closer to Sept.

Chas.

pdouglas

Recent Events in DFW?

Post by pdouglas »

llwatson wrote:Welcome, Patrick! If nothing else, going through the CHL process will teach you patience! Hang in there, it will come eventually.

And, while you are waiting, please encourage your fellow agents to consider getting their CHLs also (especially the ladies). Given the recent events here in DFW area, a CHL should probably be a prerequisite to a real estate license.
What events happened in DFW area? If you have a link to an article, please email or post. I'll send it out to our agents / offices (we have 21 offices in Houston) so word will travel.

I am trying to get / encourage other agents to get their CHL. Many are scared or nervous about carrying while interacting with clients, but I'm trying. I think the one place I'll be fairly open about my CHL will be at work with fellow agents so I can get some of them to ask about it and get some good dialogue going in our office(s). Just for reference there are 20,000 agents in Houston, but there is no way of knowing how many of us have CHL, I know not enough.

Thanks for the welcome.

longtooth
Posts in topic: 252

Post by longtooth »

Welcome Patrick. Good job on preparation for carrying at work. Not many can. +1 on what llwatson said about prerequisite. Your job may be second in danger only to Pizza delivery. Be comfortable. Get a good holster. Learn to wear it at home. Cover it up & LEAVE IT ALONE. No one will know you have it.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

dws1117
Posts in topic: 53

Re: Recent Events in DFW?

Post by dws1117 »

pdouglas wrote: I think the one place I'll be fairly open about my CHL will be at work with fellow agents so I can get some of them to ask about it and get some good dialogue going in our office(s).
I understand the sentiment, but that might not be the wisest course of action. It is possible to pursue the dialogue without revealing that you yourself are carrying. As an exapmle, asking them how they feel about CHL, or what they "think" is the best method of protection while in the field.

Openly revealing that your carrying or do carry in the business environment can cause employers to get squirly at times. Remember, it's called Concealed Handgun License for a reason. Talk about self protection, but don't reveal yours.

WElcome to the forum!

Wayne

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 24

Post by Crossfire »

pdouglas wrote:What events happened in DFW area? If you have a link to an article, please email or post. I'll send it out to our agents / offices (we have 21 offices in Houston) so word will travel.
I guess I thought this would have made the news, even in Houston, but here is the story:
Sales rep found dead at model home

MCKINNEY — McKinney police called the murder of a saleswoman found in a model home with more than 27 stab wounds in her upper body "a very vicious attack."

A couple seeking information about the model home, Saturday, discovered the body of 40-year-old Sarah Anne Walker inside the house located at 5700 Conch Train, in the Craig Ranch area.

She died by the time police arrived on the scene, about 1:30 p.m. Police said she also had wounds that indicated she tried to fight off her attacker.

Resident Pam Gossick talked with the couple who found Walker's body. "They had come in to talk about decorating ideas in the model home," Gossick said. "They walked in, and the husband had seen some blood, and walked over to the kitchen and saw her face down—the victim face down—and asked his wife to go outside and call 911."

The neighborhood is still under construction but there are several model homes open for viewing.

McKinney police attended Walker’s autopsy, today, but right now, investigators do not have any suspects or a motive.

Gossick said the couple who found Walker said she appeared to have been beaten up. "McKinney's not just the type of place where these things typically happen," she said. "You never know who's going to walk to your front door, but I just don't feel like it's a random happening. It seems that it was something passionate."

People who knew Walker said she was divorced and had a small child.

Walker's sister, Jackie Mull, said she is searching for answers.

"If I had to write her life story, I would have never pictured it ending this way," she said.

The murder victim was featured in an Internet video as a sales associate for the Hemingway Townhomes development.

pdouglas

Post by pdouglas »

Thanks for all the replies and info. I'm learning a lot just being here.

I do remember hearing something about the DFW situation, but did not have a chance to go back and get the details. I'll get that out to at least a couple thousand agents and I'll try to get Houston Assoc. of Realtors to send out a reminder on safety, with the story attached.

A couple months ago, my working partner got punched in the face a few times and robbed while sitting outside one of her listings. She was looking up something on her cell phone and this normal clean cut guy came up and opened her car door and demanded her purse. There is just no way of knowing what will happen, so I do agree many more of us should go CHL.

The bad part of real estate is so many agents are hurting for cash so they will drop whatever they are doing to go meet someone they don't know anything about at an empty house. We have to be aware and try to stay safe. I will never drop what I'm doing - that's a warning sign, if you can't wait a few hours or a day to see a home and give me some information about yourself, there is a problem and I don't need you as a client, but too many agents think they will get that quick sale.

Wayne, I understand what you are talking about, but I'm talking about being open with a small group of people I work with and consider friends, plus we are all independent contractors so there really are no rules that could say I can't carry. There are a couple others that have theirs so at least with this group, I know it's okay to talk about. I'm not going to go to a company wide meeting and talk about what I have concealed. I understand what you are saying.

Thanks again. Patrick

dws1117
Posts in topic: 53

Post by dws1117 »

Wayne, I understand what you are talking about, but I'm talking about being open with a small group of people I work with and consider friends, plus we are all independent contractors so there really are no rules that could say I can't carry. There are a couple others that have theirs so at least with this group, I know it's okay to talk about. I'm not going to go to a company wide meeting and talk about what I have concealed. I understand what you are saying.
I wish you all the luck. The more that we can get to take thier protection into thier own hads the better for them and us. It's just wise to be mindful of who you let know the you have a CHL.

Wayne

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”