Does this mean Im good to carry????

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Eddie2612
Posts in topic: 2

Does this mean Im good to carry????

Post by Eddie2612 »

Application Completed - license issued or certificate active..

I logged in to the Texas Licensing Site to see "processing application" and I saw the above.. Maybe it's disbelief, maybe I'm in shock.. but please help me out... the above means that Im good to carry.. Please comment / Let me know.. The LAST thing I want to do is carry before I should..

Thanks everyone..

Glock 19 - IWB
Ruger P345 = .45
Sig Sauer Mosquito .22LR

USA1

Re: Does this mean Im good to carry????

Post by USA1 »

DONT DO IT !!!
you have to have the license in hand ...give it a few days for the mailman to get it to you . ;-)
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

PappaGun
Posts in topic: 1

Post by PappaGun »

Gotta have plastic. I had mine 5 days after the website said License issued or Certificate Active. Be patient and be legal. It will be in your hands soon.
Congratulations!
"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe."
- Noah Webster

"All we ask for is registration, just like we do for cars."
- Charles Schumer

Topic author
Eddie2612

Post by Eddie2612 »

Thats what I was thinking.. Im just so excited..

Glock 19 - IWB
Ruger P345 = .45
Sig Sauer Mosquito .22LR

KFP

Post by KFP »

You can carry directly from your house to your car and visa versa, as you're able to do without a CHL. :txflag:

Just hang on a few more days outside of your house and car.
Life Member NRA & TSRA

WEC

Post by WEC »

This is why many feel the wait for the mailman is almost as excruciating as the wait for your application to be completed. If you've already waited a few months, a few days should be a breeze, right? Not necessarily, haha. Hang in there, bud. And congrats. :thumbs2:
"We are oft to blame in this / 'Tis too much proved -- that with devotion's visage / And pious action we do sugar o'er / The devil himself."
Μολὼν λαβέ | NRA Lifetime Member

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

KFP wrote:You can carry directly from your house to your car and visa versa, as you're able to do without a CHL. :txflag:

Just hang on a few more days outside of your house and car.
You may want to reconsider carrying in your car under MPA. A previous poster did that when his license was active (he didn't know) but before he had it. Cop stopped him, he had a handgun in the car (legal), but the cop reported it as failure to display license. First offense of this is grounds for license suspension. Second is Class B Misdemeanor.

Long story short, the guy went to JP court and avoided having his license suspended and the administrative action was dismissed. However, if you're going to carry under MPA for the 5 or so days until you get your license, you may want to strictly exercise your 5th and 4th amendments rights to remain silent, and to refuse a consent search of your vehicle, respectively.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

joe817

Post by joe817 »

And for goodness sakes, make sure your vehicle is in perfect condition, driving wise(no tail lights, break lights, headlights out, blinkers working, etc etc, etc ad nauseum), and ALWAYS drive the speed limit.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

apostate

Post by apostate »

With September 1st fast approaching, I wouldn't hesitate to carry under MPA if I didn't have my CHL in my possession. (IANAL & YMMV)

HKUSP45C

Post by HKUSP45C »

apostate wrote:With September 1st fast approaching, I wouldn't hesitate to carry under MPA if I didn't have my CHL in my possession. (IANAL & YMMV)
Mea Culpa
Texas Government Code wrote:SECTION 2. Sections 411.187(a) and (c), Government Code,
are amended to read as follows:
(a) A license may be suspended under this section if the
license holder:
(1) is charged with the commission of a Class A or
Class B misdemeanor or an offense under Section 42.01, Penal Code,
or of a felony under an information or indictment;
(2) [fails to display a license as required by Section
411.205;
Emphasised part is stricken as of September 1st.
Texas Government Code wrote:SECTION 3. An offense under Section 411.205, Government
Code, may not be prosecuted after the effective date of this Act.
If, on the effective date of this Act, a criminal action is pending
for an offense under Section 411.205, the action is dismissed on
that date. However, a final conviction for an offense under Section
411.205 that exists on the effective date of this Act is unaffected
by this Act.
SECTION 4. This Act takes effect immediately if it receives
a vote of two-thirds of all the members elected to each house, as
provided by Section 39, Article III, Texas Constitution. If this
Act does not receive the vote necessary for immediate effect, this
Act takes effect September 1, 2009.
The posters below are correct
Last edited by HKUSP45C on Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

dicion

Post by dicion »

HKUSP45C wrote: As with all Texas law, if you're busted BEFORE the law goes into effect (September 1st) you're dstill as guilty as sin and subject to the same consequences as if the law was never passed.
Actually, the Sunset Act has a provision that any cases currently under review for suspension due to not showing at the time of effect (September 1st) shall be dropped.

So, if you get caught.. just drag it out until September First and it will be automatically dropped.

The Gentleman in the other thread that recently got busted for now showing (because he hadn's recieved it yet) Was Told by DPS that they were not going to proceed with the suspension, because of the new law coming into effect. This was a few months ago. So it appears that they may have already stopped spending the time and money on suspending CHL's for this. Doesn't mean the LEO Won't read you the riot act about it though.

RiveraRa

Post by RiveraRa »

Not that Im condoning this or the hassle you would still have to go through but...
I think I remember hearing that the ID law on Sept 1st will be retro-active. Still a hassle to go through if you dont have your ID before Sept 1 but...
01/10/2009 - CHL class
06/16/2009 - Mailed application to DPS
06/18/2009 - Paperwork Received
06/25/2009 - Money Order Cashed
07/15/2009 - PIN Received
09/02/2009 - Application Completed
09/05/2009 - Plastic in Hand
Current Status: License in hand!

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

And actually you are still breaking the law. The revision does not eliminate the requirement to show your CHL, just that if you fail to do it there is no penalty.

I wonder if they could detain you until you show them the license. That could mean if you were only showing approved on the website/database, they might keep you for 7-10 days until your wife can open the mail, get your plastic and bring it down to show. And, if you live alone with no one to get your mail, you might never get out!! :mrgreen:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

USA1

Post by USA1 »

i have decided that the best practice for me will be to show it , out of courtesy to the LEO
if im not mistaken , Mr. Cotton recommended the same .
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

HKUSP45C

Post by HKUSP45C »

Keith B wrote:And actually you are still breaking the law. The revision does not eliminate the requirement to show your CHL, just that if you fail to do it there is no penalty.

I wonder if they could detain you until you show them the license. That could mean if you were only showing approved on the website/database, they might keep you for 7-10 days until your wife can open the mail, get your plastic and bring it down to show. And, if you live alone with no one to get your mail, you might never get out!! :mrgreen:
Well, you're breaking a law that Texas can't prosecute you for.

So, I'm not sure you're actually breaking a law if you can't be prosecuted for it. If it's impossible to prosecute for it, what possible excuse could a LEO give for detaining you for it? Was he going to request the DA issue charges under a different statute? I think the Texas Legislature messed this one up royally by leaving the law in place and then prohibiting prosecution for it. I love that they removed the penalty (both criminal and administrative) but the mess they left needs to be "tidied up."

IMHO, IANAL, YMMV

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”