Herman Hospital...*update*

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
UNBLVR
Posts in topic: 3

Herman Hospital...*update*

Post by UNBLVR »

I probably know the answer but thought I'd ask anyway...

A couple of months ago my wife was having a procedure done at Memorial Herman Hospital. I hadn't been there in years and didn't know if it was posted or not. So, not being sure, I decided it would be best to go unarmed.

I pull up to the valet and enter through the glass doors. There was no sign on the doors or windows nor on the second set of doors/windows about fifteen feet in.

A different entrance is used when we leave (I guess to keep the traffic down at the drop-off location). Again I check the doors/windows and this time I see the ghostbusters type sign.

Fast forward to yesterday. Wife is having a repeat of the same procedure but this time I decide to pack...based on my last experience. Same thing...leave vehicle, no sign at first door, no sign at second door. About thirty feet in and on the left...what do I see? The sign.

First...it is not actually at the entrance. Second, and this may not matter either, it is not facing me as I approach. Even though it's on a pillar it's positioned as if you're walking down a hall and it were a picture hanging from it. Third...it's not in block letters and not exactly contrasting colors. I don't know what the color is but the background is kind of a light beige/gold/olive and the letters are basically the same only darker.

Anyone else been there recently? Any thoughts?

Joe
Last edited by UNBLVR on Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ONE DAY YOU MAY FIND ME DEAD...LAYING IN A DITCH.
BUT YOU CAN BET I'LL BE LYING IN A PILE OF BRASS.

Piney
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Piney »

Is it an attempt at an actual 30.06 compliant sign ?

I've seen signs at several hospitals that are not 30.06, but reference some other legislation. I assume its arcane.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

This thread will probably be lengthy once the many opinions are posted.

I take the wording of 30.06 literally, and if the signs are not compliant I will carry. I will probably be hammered for this but so be it.

Mrs. Anygun works for the Christus system. Every one of the Christus facilities I have visited in the Houston system are properly posted. The one in Beaumont is as well. The one in Port Arthur is not.

Anygun
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

anygunanywhere wrote:
Mrs. Anygun works for the Christus system. Every one of the Christus facilities I have visited in the Houston system are properly posted. The one in Beaumont is as well. The one in Port Arthur is not.

Anygun
Mrs. MoJo also works for Christus. In this area, the only Christus facility I've seen that wasn't posted was the former Regional Business Office in Port Arthur. She's now at the call center in Beaumont and I haven't been there to check it out.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

MoJo wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:

Anygun
Mrs. MoJo also works for Christus. In this area, the only Christus facility I've seen that wasn't posted was the former Regional Business Office in Port Arthur. She's now at the call center in Beaumont and I haven't been there to check it out.
A friend at work had to be seen at Christus St. Mary in Port Arthur last week. The front entrance had a revolver buster at the front entrance but no 30.06.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

evil_smurf wrote:Me personally, when my license comes in the mail I will not carry anywhere that is obviously attempting to post a correct 30.06 sign.

It may not be 100% "properly" posted, but I will not take a chance at somehow getting caught and have everything I worked so hard for go down the drain.
I understand your point, smurf. You have to do whatever you have to do.

I see lots of lame attempts at posting, and I can assume that a revolver buster sign is an attempt to satisfy the requirements of 30.06. I have seen gunbuster signs that reference the statutes. They are not compliant, and the law states they do not restrict CHL unless they meet the criteria.

If the signs are real close, and I have only seen a few that would pass, I do not carry. If the sign is compliant, it takes up about 3 feet by 3 feet of space. Not a lot of people want to pay for a sign that large and give up window or wall space. The office I am in has the wording and graphics exactly correct but the letters are 1/2 inch. The law states 1 inch. I do not pack because of the obvious. But a CHL could because the sign is not compliant.

If you do not pack somewhere because they are "obviously attempting to post a correct 30.06 sign" then you may not be packing in a lot of places. I look for signs all of the time, especially in hospitals, nursing homes, and other places on the "list". Lots of feeble attempts, very few compliant signs.

Of all the compliant signs there are in existence, I would be willing to wager that 50% are in places not allowed to post - government buildings.

one eyed fatman
Banned

Post by one eyed fatman »

evil_smurf wrote:Me personally, when my license comes in the mail I will not carry anywhere that is obviously attempting to post a correct 30.06 sign.

It may not be 100% "properly" posted, but I will not take a chance at somehow getting caught and have everything I worked so hard for go down the drain.
What good did it do you to get your license if you allow non compliant signs to keep you from carrying? There all over the place. You'll spend most of your time locking it in your car where there is always the possibility of it getting stolen. I think as time passes you will change your mind once you realize how much of a pain in the butt it will be to keep hiding it instead of carrying it. There's also a good possibility you won't have it when you most need it as it will be in the car.

Topic author
UNBLVR

Post by UNBLVR »

Just got back from Herman after my wife's third repeat procedure. The sign is still not at the entrance and not facing toward entering patients/family members. Everything else is as I described before. What has changed (I don't think I would have missed this last time) is a large, red 51 (without the "%").

I still feel that the sign is not compliant and since "concealed" means "concealed"...

It's funny, though...I didn't know Herman Memorial Hospital earned 51% or more of its income from the sale of alcoholic beverages intended for on-site consumption. ;-)

Joe
ONE DAY YOU MAY FIND ME DEAD...LAYING IN A DITCH.
BUT YOU CAN BET I'LL BE LYING IN A PILE OF BRASS.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Another fine example of idiocy run amok...

A 51% sign...Who'd have thunk that one up...

I guess I'll just belly up to the bar and have a cold one...

Sorry this has turned into such a challenge for you UNBLVR...I mean this should be the least of your concerns, and its good your keeping track of these things...I hope all those procedures she's going through work out alright for y'all...

I could nit-pick, and be a real pain about this, but I am just going to let it go...I know everyone uses their own good judgement when the situation becomes a little unclear...I been there, and had to make some snap calls...

In a perfect world we might not be having this discussion, and I believe the side that is holding the better hand is ours...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

phddan

Post by phddan »

Had to take the daughter in law to the emergency room in Georgetown a couple of months ago. Didn't notice any sign going in. After an hour, I stepped outside to have a smoke, and going back in guess what I noticed?
In the glass to the right of the door, all the way at the bottom was the 30.06 notice. Not a sign. Etched in the glass! Size and wording looked correct, but there was definatly no contrast.

I have a feeling that the people in charge of asthetics have a say in the signs we see that are not compliant, which is fine with me as long as they keep making them non compliant. :grin:

Dan

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

...is a large, red 51 (without the "%").
Say it ain't so, Joe. Say it ain't so. :ack:
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

I think the big red "51" goes back to some mix-up in wording of the Health Code. Every hospital I've ever seen with a valid 30.06 notice also has the 51 in a circle.

It was explained to me long ago. I don't remember the explanation, and the conflicting statutes have probably been addressed by now.

Kevin

AG-EE

Post by AG-EE »

The hospital in McKinney also has a 30.06 sign on a glass window, with a big red 51 at the top.

kauboy

Post by kauboy »

Russell wrote:Me personally, when my license comes in the mail I will not carry anywhere that is obviously attempting to post a correct 30.06 sign.

What if a loved one is shot in a resturant robbery that you could have prevented, but you spotted a tiny, English only version of the 30.06 sign hidden behind the entrance foilage. All your hard work...has just gone down the drain.

Non-compliance is non-compliance. As my CHL instructor told me, the only two signs I have to worry about are the 51% sign(and it better be legit) and the 30.06 sign (and it better be perfect). All others can simply be ignored as if they don't exist. Your CHL gives you the ability that other "non-carriers" don't have; to disregard "gunbuster" signs and "illegal firearm possesion" signs.

Let the law work for you. It is strictly defined in the Texas Penal Code as to how the 30.06 sign MUST be. If the poster of a 30.06 sign doesn't follow the letter of the law, and you do, how can it negatively affect you? Carry proud and carry often, and don't be ashamed of your right to carry a weapon. You deserve it.
"People should not be afraid of their Governments.
Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”