Carrying at church

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 3
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Re: Carrying at church

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

TAM:

Were you the one who recomended that his preacher get a Taurus PT-145?

A previous church carry discussion thread was where I saw it.

If so, did he get one, or go with something else?
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote:TAM:

Were you the one who recomended that his preacher get a Taurus PT-145?

A previous church carry discussion thread was where I saw it.

If so, did he get one, or go with something else?
That must have been someone else. I've always told anyone who asked me to go try a bunch of different pistols and see what they like, and then I've offered to take them to the range and try some of ours. Me, I'm partial to 1911s, but that doesn't mean that it's a good choice for someone else. I also have revolvers in 2 different calibers, 2 different pocket semi-auto pistols, 4 1911s in 2 sizes, a G19, a couple of .22 semi-autos, and a USP Compact. I can offer them handgun caliber experiences in .22LR, .380 ACP, .38 Special, 9 mm, .40 S&W, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, and .45 ACP. Brands represented are Ruger, S&W, Colt, Glock, Taurus, Springfield, Kimber, and H&K.

But I always stress to newbies to try a lot of pistols before settling on the one they like best. It's a fairly significant investment, both in time, money, and personal competence/ability, so they should be certain of what they want before plunking down several hundred dollars for their first gun. And even so, what they choose to buy may not be what they choose to carry. I bought my wife a 642 Airweight for Valentine's day in 2008. It's not her favorite gun to shoot because of the recoil management. On the day after she took her CHL class, she bought herself a Glock 19, because that is what she qualified with, and she really enjoyed shooting it on the range. But, once she got her plastic and decided that purse carry was really her favored method, she realized that getting the Glock in and out of the zippered concealment pocket in her new carry purse was not as easy as it looked; so she finally settled on carrying the revolver with a backup speed loader. The 642 is just easier for her to deploy quickly, so that is her primary carry weapon - even though she would be probably better armed with the Glock.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 3
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

TAM:

By my count you and the bride have at least 14 handguns from 8 manufacturers.

You are the cat daddy.

I'm sure that people you introduce to shooting are definitely able to make a good
choice for their initial purchase.

Rock on, Garth.
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Rifleman55
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Rifleman55 »

longtooth wrote:All the above is correct. You can carry at our church. :thumbs2:
Knowing you ,you probably encourage your people to carry. I also carry at church.

longtooth
Posts in topic: 8

Post by longtooth »

Rifleman55 wrote:
longtooth wrote:All the above is correct. You can carry at our church. :thumbs2:
Knowing you ,you probably encourage your people to carry. I also carry at church.
Yeppers,
Trained a lot of'em. Was at Brit's last friday w/ another husband/wife.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

heliguy972

Post by heliguy972 »

A lot of churchs are developing security teams with all members required to have a TX CHL...This is a really good idea. Training is provided. Strategy and positionings are outlined....

Reloader

Post by Reloader »

Our pastor encourages us to carry at church. She feels it also increases her attention to a good sermon, since we are watching and she, tongue in cheek, suggest if we don't like the sermon, she makes a good target! She has a sense of humor..
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor
Amateur radio Instructor, VE KE5LDO
Tarleton State University '74

quoheleth

Post by quoheleth »

She feels it also increases her attention to a good sermon, since we are watching and she, tongue in cheek, suggest if we don't like the sermon, she makes a good target!
I appreciate she was trying to make a joke, but as a pastor, I'm not impressed with the punchline. :shock:

To the question, some of my lay leadership isn't all that keen on CHLs or firearms. I suspect they would frown on carrying in church a great deal. I also have a couple of folks who seem OK with it - at least, in the abstract they are OK with it. My congregational president calls me the "Pistol Packin' Preacher." It's been funny up til now; now, I need to tell him to knock it off. My personal stance is "Don't ask, don't tell - except to me" so that if the proverbial fertilizer hits the air oscellation unit, I know who I can count on for back-up or whom I need to back-up.

Good grief, I even have an HPD officer who doesn't go heeled on Sundays - or most of the time he's off duty. And, he's a 20+ year veteran. But he encouraged me to get the license and carry on Sundays. Go figure! But he wants to work up a security plan for the church building. :confused5

Anyhow, like Longtooth and UptheIrons, you can chalk me down as a pistol packin' preacher (to-be). Just in case someone REALLY is upset by the sermon or the offering plate.

Q
Texas CHL received 07/24/09 and being used daily.

tropicalsun

Post by tropicalsun »

I am also a pastor who carries. Besides the deacons, I would be surprised if anyone else knows. It's also encouraging that many others in the church carry as well.

tropicalsun
Rob

Dexdahex
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dexdahex »

tropicalsun wrote:I am also a pastor who carries. Besides the deacons, I would be surprised if anyone else knows. It's also encouraging that many others in the church carry as well.

tropicalsun
Rob
In this day and time you have too

I am a Deacon
"Every Citizen Shall Have The Right To Keep And Bear Arms In The Lawful Defense Of Himself Or The State"

CHL Holder
NRA Member

Fabrique Nationale Herstal (FNH) FN-40

gringogigante

Post by gringogigante »

I can't imagine NOT carrying in church. There are too many examples of churches in the news of wackos shooting up churches.

Our church has a "security force" that is unarmed, of course, but it makes me feel safe to know that others are carrying with me.
Thanks!
Chris McCollum
http://www.metroplexchl.com
Dallas Concealed Handgun Class
Fort Worth Concealed Handgun Class

E10

Post by E10 »

God knows you're packin', and if He has any objections, He'll let you know.

dac1842

Post by dac1842 »

Heliguy mentioned several churches are forming security teams made up of CHL holders. Be careful how you proceed there and what you call them. In Texas anyone that provides security functions must have a security license, anyone that is armed must be commissoned. Read the law and make sure your organization is not in violation of it. I would hate to see folks with good intentions get bad consequences!

longtooth
Posts in topic: 8

Post by longtooth »

dac1842 wrote:Heliguy mentioned several churches are forming security teams made up of CHL holders. Be careful how you proceed there and what you call them. In Texas anyone that provides security functions must have a security license, anyone that is armed must be commissoned. Read the law and make sure your organization is not in violation of it. I would hate to see folks with good intentions get bad consequences!

This is very true. I get a little ribbing & have some fun from this side about Preacher Carry, & since I am the Safety Officer at our local range I have trained SEVERAL of our folks in firearms safety & personal defese; also several people in other churches.

For above reason: In Texas anyone that provides security functions must have a security license, anyone that is armed must be commissoned. Read the law and make sure your organization is not in violation of it. I would hate to see folks with good intentions get bad consequences!

At our church we have a "Safety Plan." In print & officially, there are no designated people or official places of responsibility to guard or even watch. We do have greeters at every door that really do shake every hand & greet every visitor w/ a smile & friendly welcome. They are not assigned either. Our folks just welcome people coming in.

When I go over the Safety Plan about every 6 months I remind everyone that:
"There are no security guards at Jubilee Baptist Church, there are no special hats, badges, ribbons or crosses to wear that designate anyone as security personell. There is no secret hand shake or sign flashed that designates anyone as security. If you do something in time of trouble, it will be because you are doing what men do in times of trouble."

I make sure I make that quoted statement several times through it. I have had lawyers look at it & the Chief of Police here set through one of the presentations. It has passed their close examination.

Advice following is worth exactly what you will be billed for.
Dont designate anyone as security personel, dont even use the word security.
Let men do what real men do in times of trouble.
Off the box & headed for the cave to reload. :leaving :patriot:
LT
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

longtooth wrote: Advice following is worth exactly what you will be billed for.
Dont designate anyone as security personel, dont even use the word security.
Let men do what real men do in times of trouble.
Off the box & headed for the cave to reload. :leaving :patriot:
LT
A lot of wisdom can be found from this simple country preacher.

Thanks LT
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”