Knit Picking about "The EXAM"

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
joe817
Posts in topic: 9

Knit Picking about "The EXAM"

Post by joe817 »

As I have time to obsess about taking the CHL class, and studying, and going to the gun range, several questions pop up in my little pea brain:

1. What happens to the qualifying target we use on the proficiency test? Can we keep it, and frame it? :lol: Or does the instructor hang on to it?
2. In a related question, if our accuracy is so good as to punch paper to the extent the instructor cannot definitely discern 2 holes from 3 or 4 in the same small area, what happens to the scoring? Am I penalized? I assume she/he has to count 50 separate paper punches for scoring purposes.
3. How many questions are on the written portion of the test? And are they all multiple choice, fill in the blanks or essay?
4. As this is an all day affair(for all practical purposes), do you have classroom instructions first thing, break for lunch, meet up at the gun range, do the profiency test, then come back to the classroom, then the instructor grades the 2 tests(classroom & profiency), or what?

Just trying to get an idea of what to expect....and prepare for.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Knit Picking about "The EXAM"

Post by WildBill »

joe817 wrote:As I have time to obsess about taking the CHL class, and studying, and going to the gun range, several questions pop up in my little pea brain:

1. You can keep it if you want.
2. If you are that good you don't have to worry about passing.
3. I don't remember how many, but I think all of the above.
4. That was the schedule of my class. YMMV :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

mikeintexas
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mikeintexas »

I just sat through a class with my wife last Saturday.

1. You can do what you want with the target. After your instructor scores and records it, it's yours to do what you want with.

2. If you punch that many holes in one spot, you've passed.

3. There are 50 questions on the test, a mix of multiple choice and true/false. No essay.

4. You are supposed to be in 10 hours of instruction. We got several breaks. Then to and from the range. Then lunch. Then back to the classroom for the last 5 hours of videos and classroom discussion. Then the instructor passed out the tests and graded them when finished. Everyone passed the shooting and final test. All that is presented to the DPS is a pass or fail on both tests, no scores. No big deal.

The worst part is the 10 hours. That's a long time to keep anyone's attention.

Have Fun! :txflag:

USA1
Posts in topic: 7

Post by USA1 »

the test is very very hard , no breaks ,instructors are brutal, and they make you stand out in the sun for hours.
if you miss the bullseye even once ,you fail. :shock: ...........

.....obviously im joking, you will be surprised how easy it is.
some think the long hours are boring , but i was like a sponge , and soaked up all the knowledge and kool stories :tiphat:
Last edited by USA1 on Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

mikeintexas

Post by mikeintexas »

usa1 wrote:the test is very very hard , no breaks ,instructors are brutal, and they make you stand out in the sun for hours. :shock:
Cut it out usa, no one will go if you let everyone in on the secret! "rlol"

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

usa1 wrote:the test is very very hard , no breaks ,instructors are brutal, and they make you stand out in the sun for hours. :shock:
Don't forget about the part where you have to field strip, clean and reassemble your handgun. Blindfolded. :biggrinjester:
NRA Endowment Member

longhorn_92

Post by longhorn_92 »

What if it's cloudy?.... :biggrinjester:
“If you try to shoot me, I will have to shoot you back, and I promise you I won’t miss!”

NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Member

mikeintexas

Post by mikeintexas »

Seriously, it's no big deal. :smilelol5:

USA1
Posts in topic: 7

Post by USA1 »

usa1 wrote:the test is very very hard , no breaks ,instructors are brutal, and they make you stand out in the sun for hours.
if you miss the bullseye even once ,you fail. :shock: ...........

.....obviously im joking, you will be surprised how easy it is.
some think the long hours are boring , but i was like a sponge , and soaked up all the knowledge and kool stories :tiphat:
i edited my statement. i just cant be mean. :cheers2:
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

Topic author
joe817
Posts in topic: 9

Post by joe817 »

Thanks bunches ever body! I now know what to expect...and what to focus my attentions on.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

dicion

Post by dicion »

I had fun with my target. I cut out the circle around the X in the middle

The instructor was counting the points on the guys next to me (he was all over). He came to mine, took one look, said 'you passed' and went to the lady next to me and started counting :) "rlol"

There was another guy in the class who did about the same thing I did, made one hole in the center.

We were both firing 1911's.... everyone else had some version of BT it seemed :lol:

Coincidence? :leaving

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jimlongley »

In our last class we were not even allowed to see our targets, they were left at the 15 yard line and we were walked off the range. I know mine was one ragged hole at the ten ring, and my wife's was on about the same par, when they left the seven yard line. Since the first forty shots are what really count, at least if you shoot well enough, I didn't sweat the last ten.

The last time we renewed, our targets were scored in front of the class and the instructor gave me a hard time because my wife fired a perfect score while I dropped two points. We were also allowed to know what our written score was.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

GlockFan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by GlockFan »

I think the guy in the lane next to me was doing that ....just not on purpose :lol:
Jak Se Mas?

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

dicion wrote: We were both firing 1911's.... everyone else had some version of BT it seemed :lol:

Coincidence? :leaving
Whats a BT?
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”