Where do most of you shoot at?

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

justsome45guy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by justsome45guy »

longtooth:

Hats off to your son for his service. The Bullet Hole is the one west of the AFB. Very friendly people there.

Popshot
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Popshot »

I grew up shooting in the woods (National Forest or grandparents). Grand parents are long gone. I don't get to the woods that often.

Ranges that I use most often in the Houston area:

American Shooting Centers (outdoor)
Carter's Country (outdoor)
Sportsman's in Humble (indoor)
Texas City Municipal (outdoor)
Top Gun (indoor)

This spring, we were in Phoenix for a few days and I found Shooter's World/Arizona Tactical. Nice place. Rental guns available. Indoor range allowing up to .300 Win Mag.
Gun control = hitting where you aim

jbenat
Posts in topic: 6

Greenville Gun Range?????

Post by jbenat »

Does anyboby know anything about the new (I guess), gun range West of Greenville on HWY 380? Surely someone here knows something about this range. The name or possibly a phone # or a web site. We have a group that wants to shoot with us but a indoor range wouldn't work out too well.

If I had a gun range in N. Texas I would surely be hollering about it especially on a good Texas gun site like this. Good, outdoor ranges in N.Texas are becoming very rare thanks to the gun grabbing Sheeple.

Thanks for your reply S&W6946. Have you been there yet?
NRA
TSRA
Texas CHL Holder
Member VRWC (Vast Right Wing Conspiracy)

USA OUT OF THE UN - LET THEM APPLAUDE THAT!
Liberal Motto; "We've got what it takes to take what you've got"

xenatexas13

Post by xenatexas13 »

Shoot at the Bullet Trap. Hoping to try one of the pistol clubs next year.

age_ranger

Re: Greenville Gun Range?????

Post by age_ranger »

jbenat wrote:Does anyboby know anything about the new (I guess), gun range West of Greenville on HWY 380? Surely someone here knows something about this range. The name or possibly a phone # or a web site. We have a group that wants to shoot with us but a indoor range wouldn't work out too well.

If I had a gun range in N. Texas I would surely be hollering about it especially on a good Texas gun site like this. Good, outdoor ranges in N.Texas are becoming very rare thanks to the gun grabbing Sheeple.

Thanks for your reply S&W6946. Have you been there yet?
The Range you're wondering about is ATG. It's run by At-Risk Tactical Solutions. I was out there a while back but Garland SWAT was hogging the range. The 300yd rifle range is blacktop all the way out. The pistol ranges are nice but all positions are void of any overhead cover. Here's their info:

http://www.apgtraining.com/
AT RISK TACTICAL SOLUTIONS
2131 HIGHWAY 380
GREENVILLE, TX 75401
(888) 524-4108

I typically go to:
Bullet Trap (member)
Backwoods Traps (not anymore)
Garland Public Range

I stopped in at CCGR but they've had to change their hours of operation. Guess the town has included them in town limits and store hours are something like 8-4 or 9-5....something crazy like that. Wasn't super impressed.

jbenat
Posts in topic: 6

Thanks Age_Ranger

Post by jbenat »

Guess we will be at CCGR later today. APG range doesn't sound like a place I want to spend the day with the tempature over 100 degrees. Since Backwoods Traps closed, we usually go to CCGR or the Bullet Trap.
I miss backwoods because we could back our SUV up to the shooting lane and all our equiptment was right there. Not to mention, it was only a 10 minute drive from my house. The gun range situation on the north side of Dallas sucks! :mad:
You are right about CCGR being usurped into the McKinney city limits. The good liberal judge is apparently trying to put them out of business with his restrictions on hours of operation. Not only did he regulate his weekday hours but he cannot even be open at all on Sunday! It's a shame,the owner is a LEO and doesn't deserve that kind of treatment. :roll:
NRA
TSRA
Texas CHL Holder
Member VRWC (Vast Right Wing Conspiracy)

USA OUT OF THE UN - LET THEM APPLAUDE THAT!
Liberal Motto; "We've got what it takes to take what you've got"

too-tall

Post by too-tall »

I shoot at the Leon County Gun Club range just out of Buffalo. Its close to home and nice folks.
Too-Tall
" Behind every silver lining,
there is a cloud..." NRA Life Member

Texasdoc
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Texasdoc »

I shoot at the Fayette County Gun Club and before that I had a range in my backyard .

http://www.fayettecountygunclub.com/

300shooter
Shoot more,then Reload and Shoot somemore. Image

http://www.texasguntalk.com

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Thanks for resurrecting the Topic, too-tall. It was down low enough on the list that I'd never have seen it.

I live in northwest Harris County, just outside of Houston proper, and work in west Harris county near Alief. Most of my range time is at Hot Wells, off Hwy 290. Owned by the Lamar family, it's the closest to me; a short four exits up the freeway. Good people, but the public facilities are (like most) fairly limited for handgunners: paper targets; 3, 7, 15, and three (I think) at 25 yards. Slow fire only, 30-minute changeouts; but the ROs change the targets for you, and will use your own targets if you bring 'em. There is a private, LEO course next to the pistol bays. Did my CHL class there, and have shot there a couple of other times, but it isn't open to the public. Still and all, it's close enough to me that, for Houston, it's about as close to a backyard range as I'll ever have, and I get there two or three times a month.

One of my New Year's resolutions is to shoot more IDPA. The Impact Zone is closest to me for that, though I've yet to get there. I live near Hwy 529, and they're just off it also, about 24 miles away. The monthly matches at PSC are already marked on my calendar, and I hope to make most of them. I want to get up to Conroe and Thunder Tactical, too. I chickened out yesterday because it was raining pretty good at my house 30 minutes before I'd have had to hit the road. :???: It looked like a washout, but the rain stopped shortly after, and never became more than drizzle the rest of the day. I should have tried it.

Another resolution is to visit G.C. at Top Gun. It's one of only two indoor ranges (that I know of) within driving distance from work that would allow me to do some shooting on a weekday. And they have a bunch of interesting stuff going on I want to check out...like Two Gun Monday and Comp-tac Tactical Tuesday.

My ammo costs might go way up in 2007. ;-)
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

When I make it to the Beaumont area, I shoot with my Dad at Golden Triangel Gun Club. He's been a member there ever since I can remember. I learned how to shoot on that range.

Occasionally, I make it to PSC with invitation from a member. I'm not a member myself, but would be if I lived closer. My uncle, along with many members here, is a member. He said that they have a safety orientation before you join, which is wise.

I just put in an application to BASC (Bay Area Shooting Club), which isn't too far from my house. I normally shoot in the back yard, but am limited on drawing, etc since my neighbor's cows and inlaws are behind my house. (They're a good distance behind me, but I don't want to shoot them--I sorta like them.)
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

rbraughn

Post by rbraughn »

I am a Memeber of Galveston Pistol and Rifle club which is private, and only 2 minutes from my house. That is where I do most of my shooting.

Nothing real fancy, but it is close and usually you have the range all to yourself. There is no rangemaster, so as a result there is very little down time for "Cease fires".

I have been to the Texas City range. It is very nice.

I have also been to one off of 646 near Beacon Lakes Golf Course that is OK also.
Be insensitive....Tell the truth !!

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 3

Post by seamusTX »

rbraughn wrote:I am a Memeber of Galveston Pistol and Rifle club ...
Hey, me too. Mrs. Casey and I joined in December last year. We also go to Texas City for skeet.

- Jim

rbraughn

Post by rbraughn »

seamusTX wrote:
rbraughn wrote:I am a Memeber of Galveston Pistol and Rifle club ...
Hey, me too. Mrs. Casey and I joined in December last year. We also go to Texas City for skeet.

- Jim
I've been a member for a long time now. I should have bought the Lifetime membership back then. It was really cheap

I wish GPRC would let individual members have the combination of the Trap machine instead of having to shoot as a group all the time. My schedule doesn't allow for me to use it......

Maybe I'll see ya there sometime
Be insensitive....Tell the truth !!

308nato

Post by 308nato »

Ilike to go to Hot Wells during the week when there is hardly any one there, it makes for a fairly quiet time when the weather is mild.
Sportsmans in Humble when it hot and you can shoot as fast as you want
Sometimes I make it to Carters in spring.
I will try and check out some of the places in Conroe this year also.

O6nop

Post by O6nop »

I noticed thias thread started about a year and a half ago and is 5 pages long. I also noticed only one post from the Austin area. It's sad to see that there is so little to choose from in this area. Two ranges closed down this fall and even though the Eagle Peak range outside of Austin is nice, it's restrictive on rifle ammo (hollow point only). Any other ranges are a pretty far distance to travel, unless you want to go to an indoor range.

I don't understand why ranges here in the Capital area are vanishing!

Return to “Shooting Ranges”