Traffic Stops

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Traffic Stops

Post by The Annoyed Man »

In my experience in California (I have yet to get pulled over in Texas), a lot of whether or not you get a ticket has to do with the attitude that you serve up to the officer - as long as your violation isn't so out of line that he/she simply has no choice but to ticket you. And on a couple of occasions, I've been ticketed for far less than the actual offense when the officer decided to cut me some slack because I did the same for him.

So far, the only time I've had to talk "business" with an officer in Texas was when my wife's car was whacked by a hit-and-run driver a week ago. In that particular case, the officer never asked to see either my wife's or my IDs, so there were no CHLs produced. (She has hers too, and she was actually disappointed that he didn't ask. Isn't that cute?)

I think the funniest CHL/LEO exchange I've ever seen was on this board, when one of our members recounted having been asked by an LEO if he had his weapon on him. When our member replied in the affirmative, the officer said something like "tell you what. . . .you don't show me yours, and I won't show you mine."

"rlol"
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

KRM45

Post by KRM45 »

redfish76 wrote: I forgot to give the LEO my CHL with my DL. When he walked back to his vehicle, I remembered and got out of the truck to take it to him. :oops:
I don't think I would get out of the car to tell the officer I had a gun on a traffic stop... Might not end well :anamatedbanana

bryang

Post by bryang »

by The Annoyed Man
I think the funniest CHL/LEO exchange I've ever seen was on this board, when one of our members recounted having been asked by an LEO if he had his weapon on him. When our member replied in the affirmative, the officer said something like "tell you what. . . .you don't show me yours, and I won't show you mine."
Now that's funny!!! :smilelol5: "rlol"

-geo
"I am crucified with Christ: Nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me" -Gal 2:20

NRA-TSRA-Life Member
American Legion USN-GM
"Μολών λαβέ!"

Project One Million:Texas - Get Involved - Join The NRA & TSRA -TODAY!

Topic author
redfish76
Posts in topic: 3

Post by redfish76 »

KRM45 wrote:
redfish76 wrote: I forgot to give the LEO my CHL with my DL. When he walked back to his vehicle, I remembered and got out of the truck to take it to him. :oops:
I don't think I would get out of the car to tell the officer I had a gun on a traffic stop... Might not end well :anamatedbanana
Yeah, I thought about it for a second and decided it was worth the risk. If I remember correctly, the gun was in the center console at the time.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

bryang wrote:
by The Annoyed Man

-geo
That may have been one of my youngest son's traffic stops when a DPS Trooper told him "don't go for yours, and I won't go for mine." He got a warning, then they talked about guns for about 10 minutes.

Chas.

joe817
Posts in topic: 2

Post by joe817 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
bryang wrote:
by The Annoyed Man

-geo
That may have been one of my youngest son's traffic stops when a DPS Trooper told him "don't go for yours, and I won't go for mine." He got a warning, then they talked about guns for about 10 minutes.

Chas.
Talk about a good way of diffusing a tense situation. I can't think of a better way to relax than talk guns. ;-)

One day, after a few hours at the practice range, wife & daughter asked me if I had a good time. I responded "wonderful. Just like you ladies would enjoy an afternoon at the day spa.....they understood.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

shh83
Location: Stephenville, Texas (one more week) and Rowlett, Texas

Post by shh83 »

So I am going to make this quick, because I'm tired!!................

get off work at 11pm (hotel industry, hiring anyone?)

turn on headlights, one "flickers" and burns out, like a normal lamp, etc.

driving home and get pulled over.

Erath county (Stephenville, Texas) Sheriff.

Asks for DL and Ins.

I say "do you need my CHL?"

(in a very awkward way) "no"

goes to his car, comes back, hands me my stuff

says "get that light fixed tomorrow"

I said "no problem, have a good night"

Sheriff walks away

What was that all about!!?? I knew my light was out and I knew I was probably going to get pulled over.

Why did the Sheriff act so weird about CHL question? I just simply did not want t get in trouble for not showing the license.

He acted (in my mind) as if I was saying "LOOK AT ME, I HAVE A CHL!!!!!

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

shh83 wrote: Asks for DL and Ins.

I say "do you need my CHL?"

(in a very awkward way) "no"

goes to his car, comes back, hands me my stuff

says "get that light fixed tomorrow"

I said "no problem, have a good night"

Sheriff walks away

What was that all about!!?? I knew my light was out and I knew I was probably going to get pulled over.

Why did the Sheriff act so weird about CHL question? I just simply did not want t get in trouble for not showing the license.

He acted (in my mind) as if I was saying "LOOK AT ME, I HAVE A CHL!!!!!
Typically we just hand the CHL over to the officer when we turn over the license and insurance information. You gave the officer extra information he had to process.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

If you were carrying you were required to show/give the LEO your CHL license. If you were not, then why even ask? If they want to know they will ask and I'll appologize saying that I am not carrying and that is why I did not offer it.

Having said that, I have not been stopped since I've had my CHL, so I haven't actually been through this to be speaking from experience. If and when it ever happens to me I may forget and be wondering if I should get out of my truck to take it back to the officer. I hope not, but who knows?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

dac1842

Post by dac1842 »

As a former LEO I will tell you that good looking woman beats a chl everytime!

3dfxMM

Post by 3dfxMM »

As a non-LEO, neither former nor current, I can tell you that a good looking woman beats a CHL everytime. ;-)

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

The Annoyed Man:

As to the funniest CHL/LEO encounter I am aware of, the one that
cracked me up was the CHL who was visiting the Texas State Capitol
and the DPS trooper on duty chided the CHL for not having a backup
magazine on him!
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

CodeJockey

Post by CodeJockey »

When I was at DPS Training Academy last week for my CHL Instructor's class, they talked about this. The trooper that was teaching said that they teach their cadet's to make a decision regarding whether to issue a citation or warning before they ever get out of the car, and that in the 30+ years he had been making stops, he had only changed his mind twice after having talked to the driver. I doubt seriously that CHL has much, if any, bearing on whether you will receive a ticket.
Always watch your six!
NRA Life Member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”