February Applications

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

BriN
Posts in topic: 30

Re: February Applications

Post by BriN »

Day 119 (no issues with paperwork)... email response from DPS today... "At this time, we are still currently awaiting a response from Harris County"

:mad5 :banghead: :mad5 :banghead: :mad5 :banghead: :mad5 :banghead: :mad5 :banghead: :mad5 :banghead: :blowup
Harris County (no issues w/paperwork)
02/08/09 CHL class
02/12/09 paperwork received
03/09/09 PIN & 'Processing Application'
06/26/09 BC finally returned (Day 134)
07/05/09 Application Completed - license issued or certificate active (Day 143)
07/10/09 plastic in hand (Day 149 from rececipt)

I Know Jack
Posts in topic: 18

Post by I Know Jack »

cdcurrin wrote:new here just wanting to help you guys out. I mailed my stuff sometime around the end of feb, dont remember. Pin letter says april 6th. I got the completed/active message on the texasonline site either today or yesterday (didnt check yesterday). so i would imagine im right at 90 days total. I've lived in Travis Co since Jan of this year, otherwise I lived in 2 different counties in north carolina. Hope this helps you guys out on your wait.
Hey CD

I am thankful you passed this information on........ I also had residence in NC and was concerned they might be the "hold up" but now you just cleared up one thing for me........ Harris County is the hold up!!! Harris county SUCKS!!!!!!!

Ken
Glock 27
Colt 1911

USA1
Posts in topic: 70

Post by USA1 »

the funny thing is...the reason you need a CHL is because you live in Harris County... :fire
......yet Harris County is the reason for the delay.... :shock:
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

redsectora
Posts in topic: 6

Post by redsectora »

Hello all, I've been lurking in the weeds and decided to sign up. Lots of great information here.

Days since Austin received paperwork = 105
Days from date on PIN letter = 77
NO Issues with missing paperwork, prints or photos.

I called DPS today and was told "waiting on Harris County BG check"

:shock:
02/21/09 CHL class
02/26/09 paperwork mailed
02/27/09 received in austin
03/06/09 check cashed
03/27/09 pin issued & 'Processing Application'
08/04/09 Application Completed - license issued or certificate active
08/07/09 plastic in hand

I Know Jack
Posts in topic: 18

Post by I Know Jack »

usa1 wrote:the funny thing is...the reason you need a CHL is because you live in Harris County... :fire
......yet Harris County is the reason for the delay.... :shock:
Exactly!! One thing I learned when I moved to Texas from NC........ Dont get caught with a handgun unless you have a CHL. We did not need a concealed carry license in NC........ Open Carry State and you could carry in your vehicle as long as it was in plain sight and you disclosed to the officer that you had it. I had one in NC anyway but it expired over a year ago, and if I knew it would take so damn long here I would have reapplied in NC before I gave up my residence there. I am seriously thinking about applying in FLA next week while I am there and I bet I will see that one first! :banghead: :evil2:
Glock 27
Colt 1911

USA1

Post by USA1 »

redsectora wrote:Hello all, I've been lurking in the weeds and decided to sign up. Lots of great information here.

Days since Austin received paperwork = 105
Days from date on PIN letter = 77

I called DPS today and was told "waiting on Harris County BG check"

:shock:
hi redsectora, nice to have you to join in :tiphat: hopefully you shouldnt have too much longer to go :patriot:

USA1

Post by USA1 »

I Know Jack wrote: I am seriously thinking about applying in FLA next week while I am there and I bet I will see that one first! :banghead: :evil2:
sad to say , but your probably right :shock:

redsectora

Post by redsectora »

My brother submitted his paperwork 3 weeks after me and he received his plastic a week ago. He didn't live or work in harris county over the past 5 years.
02/21/09 CHL class
03/06/09 check cashed
08/07/09 plastic in hand

PsychDiver
Posts in topic: 5

Post by PsychDiver »

Application sent in the first week of Feb. Pin received mid March. Contacted DPS after about 90 days. No Help. BG check Harris County and Galveston County not in. Contacted state rep. One of his aids called DPS. Told aid waiting on BG check. Aid called each county and asked were the BG check was. Aid called me and needed my application number to follow up. Gave her my number. She was on vacation for about two weeks. I had called DPS and was told because I had be arrested in 1973 for littering (through water balloon at rival high school on Halloween night) that they could take up to 180 days to complete it. Aid came off vacation. I informed of DPSs comments two days ago. She called me this morning and told my CHL was done and was suppose to be sent to me overnight. Web site still says processing application. I will wait and see when it gets here. Working with my state rep appears to have helped. But they have to be committed to call the counties to put the pressure on them.

BriN
Posts in topic: 30

Post by BriN »

PsychDiver wrote: Working with my state rep appears to have helped. But they have to be committed to call the counties to put the pressure on them.
Can you tell me which rep you are working with? Mine don't have a clue what to do but have told me if I could find someone that actually knew what to do they would call another rep's office to figure out how to be a better help in the future.
Harris County (no issues w/paperwork)
02/08/09 CHL class
02/12/09 paperwork received
03/09/09 PIN & 'Processing Application'
06/26/09 BC finally returned (Day 134)
07/05/09 Application Completed - license issued or certificate active (Day 143)
07/10/09 plastic in hand (Day 149 from rececipt)

Allofus123
Posts in topic: 14

Post by Allofus123 »

Finally in hand. Haven't had time to post until now. 107 days

Did my Wally Walk yesterday. Wife wanted to know what I was up to since I was grinning the complete time we were in the store. LOL (she didn't know I was carrying) Told her after we left and she didn't believe me. Said she thought for sure she'd be able to tell.

FYI - Have lived in Harris County for 20+ years and at the same address for approx 15yrs. No record of any kind.

Good luck to thoe still waiting.

PsychDiver

Post by PsychDiver »

Can you tell me which rep you are working with? Mine don't have a clue what to do but have told me if I could find someone that actually knew what to do they would call another rep's office to figure out how to be a better help in the future
My rep is Larry Taylor. I called the League City Office and his aid helped me. I don't recall her name but she first called DPS and then called each county. I was impressed with the effort she made. She followed up and they are to overnight it to once they get it back from the printer. Who know when that will be. But she made a good effort and I think is is helping.

LarryH

Post by LarryH »

PsychDiver wrote:My rep is Larry Taylor. I called the League City Office and his aid helped me. I don't recall her name but she first called DPS and then called each county. I was impressed with the effort she made. She followed up and they are to overnight it to once they get it back from the printer. Who know when that will be. But she made a good effort and I think is is helping.
Probably Terri(sp?) Goodman. My wife has talked with her a number of times; all legislators' aides should be as helpful.

redsectora

Post by redsectora »

Just checking in.

Is it just me or would temporarily adding a few troopers to get Harris and Galveston counties caught up on BG checks make sense?

I'm a proud Texan, born and raised in Harris County. I have a sense of pride about Texas that only fellow Texans can really understand, as I'm sure most of you do. I wish our elected representatives and DPS officials would show more of a sense of urgency in following their own statutes. I would expect this from the Federal Goverment but makes me feel kinda dissapointed when the buracracy is coming from the State of Texas.

Ya'll know that feeling ya get inside when you check status and it says "processing application"?......I just had it :headscratch

Days since Austin received paperwork = 109
Days from date on PIN letter = 81
02/21/09 CHL class
03/06/09 check cashed
08/07/09 plastic in hand

USA1

Post by USA1 »

redsectora wrote:
Ya'll know that feeling ya get inside when you check status and it says "processing application"?......I just had it :headscratch
yeah, i get that feelin bout 3 or 4 times a day :eek6

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”