Own House -> Own Gun

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

bdickens
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Own House -> Own Gun

Post by bdickens »

Go to http://www.gunfacts.info/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for a jumping off point for statistics on firearm accidents vs. other kinds. Auto accidents are my personal favorite point of comparison.
Byron Dickens

>whiplash<

Post by >whiplash< »

bdickens wrote:Go to http://www.gunfacts.info/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for a jumping off point for statistics on firearm accidents vs. other kinds. Auto accidents are my personal favorite point of comparison.
Falling, drowning and poisoning are also much more dangerous than firearms in the home.

USA1

Post by USA1 »

what we need are tighter restrictions on motor vehicles :shock:
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

caldvn

Post by caldvn »

usa1 wrote:what we need are tighter restrictions on motor vehicles :shock:
Seriously.... there are some people that shouldn't be driving, let alone talking on the cell phone or texting....
If my posts sounds like I got a monkey on my back... it's actually a gorilla. Just don't get offended. :)

Gyrogearhead
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Gyrogearhead »

Hi Justice,

Let me add my Welcome To Texas to all the others and ask a question that has not been brought up yet.

You mentioned posibly children in the home and a Glock 17. My question is have you considered any other hand gun, perhaps one that has an external mechanical safety lever? With the Glock, as you know, a pull on the trigger makes it go bang every time and children, thanks to television know how to do that from the time they can walk. Few if any children know what a safety lever is all about as that's not explained on TV. Just some food for thought. :shock:
"With atomic weapons, as in many other things, knowing what to do isn't nearly so important as knowing what NOT to do." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer, 1946

Wisdom comes from reading the instructions. Experience comes from not reading them!

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Gyrogearhead wrote:Hi Justice,

Let me add my Welcome To Texas to all the others and ask a question that has not been brought up yet.

You mentioned posibly children in the home and a Glock 17. My question is have you considered any other hand gun, perhaps one that has an external mechanical safety lever? With the Glock, as you know, a pull on the trigger makes it go bang every time and children, thanks to television know how to do that from the time they can walk. Few if any children know what a safety lever is all about as that's not explained on TV. Just some food for thought. :shock:
An external safety does not properly meet the guidelines of keeping a child safe from a firearm. Best bet is a fast access safe that can be gotten to quickly and retrieve the firearm.

I can tell you little-ones have an uncanny way of defeating any safety mechanism known to man, even if they don't know how to work it.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
Justice
Posts in topic: 18

Post by Justice »

@Carrots ->
Well, I had my biometrics taken today, so they have all my current fingerprints and picture. Now I wonder how long it is going to take for me to get:
A -> Summoned for an interview (hope not, like I previously stated, it's a PITA)
B -> Get my Full Blown 10 year Green Card
I did notice that my green card's effective date was far beyond my initial admittance in the US. I came here on 9th of October 2006, and the effective date on the greencard (or "Resident Since") was the 14th of June 2007. But I recon that date will be present on my new green card. It would be stupid to change my "resident since" date now would it?

@Gyrogearhead -> Beyond Glock I have no experience whatsoever. And I am sticking to what I know. Now that doesn't mean I am not open to other fireams...
There are a million guns I'd want just for the sake of owning one, here are a few;
-1911 (an Icon)
- Walther P5 (dutch police gun)
- Luger P08 (german WOII pistol)
- Walther P38 (german WOII pistol)
- Wildey magnum (Death Wish anyone?)
- Desert Eagle (over the top and stupid, like a hummer H1, both are still extremely nice to look at, and look is all you do because I doubt there is any place that will let you shoot .50 AE or the .44-.475 the Wildey has)
As for rifles:
- KAR98 rifle
- M1
- M14

Funny you start talking about safeties and such. I remember as part of the military training we went to a special branch called the BSB. They had an MP5 sitting on a desk for us to "play" with. I grabbed it, unloaded it, grabbed the mag, put it back in, and loaded it again in one fluent motion. The officer behind the weapon asked me where I got the training. And I simply replied "Years of Counter Strike," I knew the Glock and MP5 way before I even went into military training. Guns are very easy to figure out, and nowadays kids 8 years old are playing games with guns. 1+1=2.

I'll let ya'll know what happens when it happens.

Gyrogearhead

Post by Gyrogearhead »

Yeah, you guys are right! What was I thinking? You can tell the only thing I know about children is what I've read.
"With atomic weapons, as in many other things, knowing what to do isn't nearly so important as knowing what NOT to do." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer, 1946

Wisdom comes from reading the instructions. Experience comes from not reading them!

Stupid

Post by Stupid »

Like I mentioned before, the 4473 form is STUPID to ask for citizenship but not verifying anything. I am sure most illegals just put down US Citizen and get their guns in a heartbeat. However, as GC holder, you must put down your GC number (A number), show your GC and 90 days of utility bill.

On the CHL and Green Card, from my own experience, having a CHL saves a whole lot hassle, not only when buying firearms, but also when transporting them. When you have CHL - still need to show GC and 90 days of bill, most FFLs will not call in but there are a few who still do. Just keep that in mind.

Gun safety is no joke, especially when kids are around. However, I would worry more about swimming pools than guns. Below is a letter i wrote to ASK - some stupid anti-gun organization. The leading death of youngsters are traffic and swimming pool accidents, not gun accidents.

Just out of my curiosity. Why ask other parents about guns? Why not ask them if they have swimming pool? According to CDC, and I quote: fatal drowning rate, per 100,000 people, for children less than 14 is 3.09% while gun related fatality is 0.61%

Your children are 5 times more likely to be drown in a swimming pool than being killed by a gun.

Are you guys missing the whole forest by looking at one leaf?

Drowning
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5321a1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Firearm related
http://www.cdc.gov/MMWR/preview/mmwrhtml/00046149.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Please help the wounded store owner who fought off 3 robbers. He doesn't have medical insurance.
http://www.giveforward.com/ramoncastillo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.click2houston.com/news/26249961/detail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CDH

Post by CDH »

My personal attitude on your situation Justice:

First, get your wife to a gun handling class as soon as she is willing. I suggest that you do NOT try to teach her yourself. The reasons are many and varied, but suffice it to say the relationship typically interferes with the training. BTW, a full size 22 pistol like a Browning Buckmark makes an excellent training pistol. There is absolutely zero need to start on a full sized pistol, and lots of reasons NOT to.

Second, a trigger lock is ok, a safe is good, a gun in your possession is better, a kid trained and gun safe is best. I have a 3 and almost 6 year old. Both have seen and handled all of my handguns (empty of course, with me right beside them) so their initial curiosity is satisfied. I had them try to work the slide and neither had the strength yet, but both are able to pull the trigger. You'll have to read your kid (if/when you have one) to decide what an appropriate age is for yourself, but IMHO most people start far too late. You don't have to 'trust them' with a gun before you start teaching...they just need to be able to follow instruction and to STOP (right then and there!) when you say STOP!

I like your choice of the Glock (and own a G22 myself). It is a great car/truck/bedstand pistol. Reliability counts, fit and accuracy count, looks don't when your tail is in danger. They are as pretty as a brick, but they just work.

The previous points and statistics are great, and I hope they work for you and your wife. I suspect that most people have better luck if they can get their wives to become shooters themselves. Good luck!
No damage control is ever as good as prevention.

Topic author
Justice

Post by Justice »

I have to agree on you, the Glock 17 won't win any beauty contests, that's for sure! But it is light, even when fully loaded. Point and shoot, and if you have any concept of how to aim it'll deliver very good accuracy.

As for starting out with a full size, I did, (with the glock) and I had no problems with it. It's also a gun that makes the shooter handle it well. "gansta" style shooting will result in feeding errors. In my experience it's also a gun that likes to stay clean. I've heard a story when I was in the army about an semi-automatic "full-auto" glock 17. The firing pin got stuck due to bad cleaning, and the shooter did not expect to unload his 17 rounds all at once. No one got hurt, but it was a hairy situation.

As for my wife, I really don't think she'll get into it. If she does, I'll still start her on 9mm. It is not an excessive round at all. If a 100 pound, five foot Polish girl can handle it, I am sure my wife can.

Topic author
Justice

Post by Justice »

I dug up my old thread, because I really don't see the need to start a new one.

I check my mailbox today, and I got my 10 year unconditional green card. On top of that me and my wife made a bid on a 3rd house that is not a foreclosure or short sale, and does not have painted white bricks. And trust me, I have 2 solid reasons each approximately worth a Glock 17 why I don't like painted white brick houses. It is 99% sure it's in the bag, so we got ourselves a nice house with upstairs bedrooms. I like that since it gives me a sense of security somehow.

Once we are in it I am going to get the Glock. The wife still opposes, I just can't talk sense into her at all. But, I reckon she'll just have to deal with it. I really wonder if there are other guys out there that had the same problem I am having. And how they dealt with it. This is also the opportunity to steer me in a good Glock dealer around the Plano Area. I already know about Bullit Trap, so I would like other suggestions if there are any. :txflag:

Gyrogearhead

Post by Gyrogearhead »

I know this question is probably not gun related but why don't you like white painted brick? I don't like it either because I think it looks bad but that's just me. You seem to have a real reason for not having a house with it.

Just curious.

And congrats on moving into your new house!

Kevinf2349
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Kevinf2349 »

Justice,

Good luck with the citizenship process. It is really pretty painless...I know because I just underwent the same thing this year. All in all it took less than 3 months to come through. In fact it came through quicker than the CHL.

Initially my wife was no lover of gun of any kind, but after Ike she had an epiphany...something about looters and me saying that we had to protect ourselves.

Since then we took a handgun class or two (special thanks to Tom Estep for that). He helped in convincing her to apply for a CHL with me. She did and we now both have CHL and carry whenever possible by law.

From having 0 guns last year we have 5 of them now.

If you are buying firearms with the GC you need to show 3 months worth of utility bills to prove residence including the most recent month. Other than that and a phone call to the FBI you should be OK to buy. A CHL makes the whole process of utility bills moot though. :thumbs2:
Glock - When a FTF just isn't an option!

04/24/09 - CHL Class
08/17/09 - Plastic in hand!

NRA & TSRA Member

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

"Society doesn't have a gun problem; Society has a society problem"

Topic author
Justice

Post by Justice »

@Gyrogearhead: Because the two houses that fell trough had white painted brick. That and it indeed is ugly. Who in their right mind paints their outside brick? You just added another thing to keep up with! I don't have the place yet though... But thanks for the congratulations, much appreciated!

@Kevinf2349: Guess I am going to have to wait 3 months after getting the house before I can buy one. Currently we are "sheltering" in the inlaws house, so none of the utilities are in our name. Bummer... but oh well. Guess I'll have to rely on the good ol Louisville slugger for the time being.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”