Harris County Applicants

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

JonK
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Harris County Applicants

Post by JonK »

Got a call from DPS this morning that my license came in and….wait for it…wait for it….it was defective so needs to be reprinted. Oh but it gets better. They don’t know when it will be reprinted and not only is mine an issue but 60% of the licenses that came back in this batch are defective and that is not unusual. Yup you read that right. The manufacturer is regularly printing bad licenses and DPS is continuing the contract with them.
1/31/09 -- Class Taken
2/02/09 -- Packet mailed
2/04/09 -- Confirmed delivery
3/04/09 -- Status Processing
4/04/09 -- Contacted Rep application is being "expedited"
5/13/09 -- Background complete
5/28/09 -- Status - Application Complete (Next Day Air on License)
5/29/09 -- Plastic in hand!

USA1
Posts in topic: 12

Post by USA1 »

maybe its the DPS that is defective :cool:
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

74novaman
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 74novaman »

JonK wrote:They don’t know when it will be reprinted and not only is mine an issue but 60% of the licenses that came back in this batch are defective and that is not unusual. Yup you read that right. The manufacturer is regularly printing bad licenses and DPS is continuing the contract with them.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Is this the same quality we can expect when the govt runs healthcare? :???:

60%! Wow.
TANSTAAFL

USA1
Posts in topic: 12

Post by USA1 »

74novaman wrote:
JonK wrote:They don’t know when it will be reprinted and not only is mine an issue but 60% of the licenses that came back in this batch are defective and that is not unusual. Yup you read that right. The manufacturer is regularly printing bad licenses and DPS is continuing the contract with them.

60%! Wow.
:iagree: "rlol" :lol: :headscratch :cryin :waiting:
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

Allofus123
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Allofus123 »

LOL, along that same line of thought, being a long time Ford man, I feel sorry for you GM owners. "rlol" :lol::

frazzled

Post by frazzled »

usa1 wrote:
74novaman wrote:

60%! Wow.
:iagree: "rlol" :lol: :headscratch :cryin :waiting:
:iagree: :cryin

BriN
Posts in topic: 10

Post by BriN »

On day 104... called DPS and... wait for it... they are still waiting on the background check to be returned. Apparently, it will get done when it gets done. I was happy she explained that to me because I had not heard that one before. :deadhorse:
Harris County (no issues w/paperwork)
02/08/09 CHL class
02/12/09 paperwork received
03/09/09 PIN & 'Processing Application'
06/26/09 BC finally returned (Day 134)
07/05/09 Application Completed - license issued or certificate active (Day 143)
07/10/09 plastic in hand (Day 149 from rececipt)

BriN

Post by BriN »

I need any feedback from anyone who has had success with contacting your representative. I spoke today with Senator Patrick's office and they are telling me there is really nothing they can do. They called DPS and was told the background check has yet to be returned and DPS in Austin has no way to contact the investigators in Harris County directly to check on the status of the BC.

I have seen many people say that contacting their State Rep or State Senator has been helpful. I just can't imagine that for each and every person it was complete coincidence that their process got moving after contacting their rep.

Senator Patrick's office is telling me that they would love to help me but they only have one legislative contact number at DPS and that is where they got the information that there is really nothing that can be done. Does anyone have any information for a situation where it helped and what they actually did to speed up the process. Alternatively, the lady in Sen Patrick's office asked if I could name any specific representative offices where they were able to do anything so she could call them and see what they are doing differently. She said she would actually love to know.

Any information would be very useful. On day 105, background check is still in a pile in Harris County and I am getting increasingly frustrated.
02/08/09 CHL class

JonK

Post by JonK »

BriN wrote:I need any feedback from anyone who has had success with contacting your representative. I spoke today with Senator Patrick's office and they are telling me there is really nothing they can do. They called DPS and was told the background check has yet to be returned and DPS in Austin has no way to contact the investigators in Harris County directly to check on the status of the BC.

I have seen many people say that contacting their State Rep or State Senator has been helpful. I just can't imagine that for each and every person it was complete coincidence that their process got moving after contacting their rep.

Senator Patrick's office is telling me that they would love to help me but they only have one legislative contact number at DPS and that is where they got the information that there is really nothing that can be done. Does anyone have any information for a situation where it helped and what they actually did to speed up the process. Alternatively, the lady in Sen Patrick's office asked if I could name any specific representative offices where they were able to do anything so she could call them and see what they are doing differently. She said she would actually love to know.

Any information would be very useful. On day 105, background check is still in a pile in Harris County and I am getting increasingly frustrated.

I believe that most of the "help" these days is purely in our heads. I believe that a few months ago calling may have made a big difference but I have "help" from Senator Huffman's office and I am getting my license tomorrow (day 115). I only know it will be here tomorrow because I have a UPS next day air tracking number.

My only point here is now that lots of people are calling I do not believe that DPS really is expediting anything for anyone anymore. Just my 2 cents.

-JonK
1/31/09 -- Class Taken
2/02/09 -- Packet mailed

BriN

Post by BriN »

JonK wrote:
I believe that most of the "help" these days is purely in our heads. I believe that a few months ago calling may have made a big difference but I have "help" from Senator Huffman's office and I am getting my license tomorrow (day 115). I only know it will be here tomorrow because I have a UPS next day air tracking number.

My only point here is now that lots of people are calling I do not believe that DPS really is expediting anything for anyone anymore. Just my 2 cents.

-JonK
Hopefully my background is soon to be done. Looking at your timeline, they received your application a week before mine but I am already more than two weeks past when they completed your background check. I wish I believed they were really handling 'first in, first out' but I seriously wonder if that is how it works. There is not a single thing on my record for them to take a second look at so I have to presume that it is still sitting in a pile.
02/08/09 CHL class

JonK

Post by JonK »

I finally have my license on day 115. Good luck to you other Harris county folks. My only recommendation is to be a thorn in the side of your rep, senator and DPS until they get you what you paid for. The more of us who complain to our reps the more they may actually try to fix this problem so that when we are all up for renewal it is a quick and efficient process.

Again Good luck to all of you,
JonK
1/31/09 -- Class Taken
2/02/09 -- Packet mailed

ysaias
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ysaias »

JonK wrote:I finally have my license on day 115. Good luck to you other Harris county folks. My only recommendation is to be a thorn in the side of your rep, senator and DPS until they get you what you paid for. The more of us who complain to our reps the more they may actually try to fix this problem so that when we are all up for renewal it is a quick and efficient process.

Again Good luck to all of you,
JonK

Do you have it in hand?

frazzled

Post by frazzled »

This might be relevant to you to help out with:

http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... 95#p287861

BriN

Post by BriN »

On day 113 (ZERO problems with the paperwork) and just found out from DPS that they are still waiting on the background check
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :blowup
02/08/09 CHL class

BriN

Post by BriN »

Day 119... DPS is still waiting on response from Harris County...

The problem as I can see it from all the responses I have gotten from DPS is simply that I am not compassionate enough of poor Harris County that has had to deal with the burden of a 'record increase' in applications. It goes amazingly silent when you talk about the proportional increase in fees received.

Statutes, what statutes? They don't apply if the government doesn't want them to - after all, who is going to do anything about it? Certainly not Senator Patrick or Rep Fletcher's offices. They have explained to me quite clearly that there is absolutely nothing they can do about it. They pass on my message to DPS and DPS ignores it just as they do my inquiries.

Ok... rant over. Time for a beer. :cheers2:
02/08/09 CHL class

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”