deleted

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
apostate
Posts in topic: 4

deleted

Post by apostate »

Last edited by apostate on Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CainA
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Comcast Internet in Houston

Post by CainA »

I went from Time Warner(to Comcast) when they made the switch and wasn't very happy.

I now have ATT UVerse, for TV cable as well as internet(I don't know if there's a difference between the UVerse internet and your ATT-Yahoo one). I've been pretty happy with both the TV service as well as the internet. I haven't had a landline phone in years.

-Cain

bdeckbrew
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bdeckbrew »

Comcast has been fairly reliable. However, when UVerse becomes available in my area I will probably switch. Depending on what part of town you live in you may have Verizon available as well.

Like you mentioned Comcast will allow you to switch for $19.99 for 6 months with no contract.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Be careful with the UVerse stuff. A friend of mine asked about it and they were told their house was right next to the box or whatever, but when they came to install it were told that they could not because they were too far away. it was the routing of the line from the box to their house. It did not come straight to their house, but up the street on one side and then back on the other and finally into their house. Alas, too far!

I used to have 15 Mbs with Verizon fiber optic, but moved and it's unavailable where I'm at now. I would get it again in a heartbeat if I could.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

WEC

Post by WEC »

I made the switch from Comcast to U-Verse about a month ago and I haven't noticed any appreciable change in my internet, so I'm pleased with that. My television experience has been vastly superior after making the switch.
"We are oft to blame in this / 'Tis too much proved -- that with devotion's visage / And pious action we do sugar o'er / The devil himself."
Μολὼν λαβέ | NRA Lifetime Member

dicion

Post by dicion »

Another +1 to U-verse. I've had all 3. Comcast, ATT Yahoo DSL, and now U-Verse.

U-Verse has been the best of the 3, plus It's awesome having whole-home DVR :)

buffalo_speedway_tx

Post by buffalo_speedway_tx »

I switched to Uverse about a year ago. One of the things I have liked about AT&T is the service. They have been responsive when I have had to call them which has been twice in the past year. I am satisfied with the cable features and the Internet connections.

dicion

Post by dicion »

Ya, the service has been great to me. I had a box die on me at 6pm on a Saturday (equipment failures happen :/), and they had a tech at my door Sunday morning at 8am to replace it.

If you do get or want more info on u-verse, check the uverseusers.com forums for great info.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

And if you have questions, want to purchase U-Verse services, or experience extreme problems getting issues resolved, please PM me and I will be happy to assist! :tiphat:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
apostate

Post by apostate »

Thanks for the info. Uverse is not available at my address. Neither is Verizon Internet. Any other ISPs I should investigate?

Sent from my iPod at starbucks. ;)

bdeckbrew

Post by bdeckbrew »

there are several sites out there but one you could check out to help find other ISPs is http://www.dslreports.com/

Topic author
apostate

Re: Internet in Houston

Post by apostate »

Thanks again, Keith B. I'm back online and cooking with gas! I'll keep an eye out for U-Verse buildout.

WarHawk-AVG

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

apostate wrote:OK, their TV commercials are uber creepy, but do any of y'all in the Houston area get broadband internet from Comcast? How do you like it?

I have ATT (Yahoo) DSL and it's OK but a few days ago, their modem died. I went to an ATT store Friday and they want $50 for a replacement. Plain vanilla Motorola modem - no router/wifi/etc. That's not happening. It 's made in China and probably cost less than $5 to manufacture. I might pay $10-15 but not $50.

I'm month-to-month so I'm looking at my options. Comcast is advertising 12Mbps for $19.99/month with no contract. That's faster and cheaper than my DSL. They also have a "self install" package so that's a plus! The price goes up after the introductory 6 months but I'm free to switch because there's no contract.

I want to find a new ISP before the end of the week. Any other broadband providers in Houston I should consider? Camp out at coffee shops? :lol:

[title changed]
http://www.microcenter.com/single_produ ... id=0208639" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
$59.99

Does a TON more than the standard modem
These are good modems

Here you can pick and choose
http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... ps-sellers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

Topic author
apostate

Post by apostate »

Thanks for the additional suggestions. The issue is resolved.

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”