When you go to bed...

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

cjlandry
Posts in topic: 4

Post by cjlandry »

Let the cops clear the house. You could end up dead doing that yourself.

As long as you have your family all together, and not spread out all over the house, you have no reason to clear the house. Just keep the entrance to the room you're in covered.

Boma
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Boma »

cjlandry wrote:Let the cops clear the house. You could end up dead doing that yourself.

As long as you have your family all together, and not spread out all over the house, you have no reason to clear the house. Just keep the entrance to the room you're in covered.
Good point!!!

My CHL instructor told us that it's a bad idea to have a gun within reach. Even under the bed. He said that if a bad guy gets to you before you can reach you gun, you did something wrong. IE: not put on good locks, etc. He recommends it in a safe.

cjlandry

Post by cjlandry »

Boma wrote: My CHL instructor told us that it's a bad idea to have a gun within reach. Even under the bed. He said that if a bad guy gets to you before you can reach you gun, you did something wrong. IE: not put on good locks, etc. He recommends it in a safe.
While I fully agree that your gun should be the last of several layers of defense, I don't agree with not having it within reach.

Home invasions these days sometimes happen in seconds, regardless of your locks, security system, dogs, etc. I certainly don't want to have to fumble with a safe during an emergency when a split second could cost me and my family our lives.

The Winchester Defender stands beside my bed, along with my Glock and a Surefire G2.

After having read recently about MS13 invading homes SWAT style, I want to be able to respond instantly from where I am.

kw5kw

Post by kw5kw »

Boma wrote:
cjlandry wrote:Let the cops clear the house. You could end up dead doing that yourself.

Good point!!!

My CHL instructor told us that it's a bad idea to have a gun within reach. Even under the bed. He said that if a bad guy gets to you before you can reach you gun, you did something wrong. IE: not put on good locks, etc. He recommends it in a safe.
I do not agree with your instructor at all!

Might as well have it locked up in a save with the gun lock cable running through it and have the ammo safely stored in a safe on the other end of the house.

Might as well not have one in the first place.

Russ

Topic author
Diode
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Diode »

kw5kw wrote:
Boma wrote:

Good point!!!

I do not agree with your instructor at all!

Might as well have it locked up in a save with the gun lock cable running through it and have the ammo safely stored in a safe on the other end of the house.

Might as well not have one in the first place.

Russ
If someone is coming into my home at night instead of the daytime, I will assume they are going to be armed. If they manage to sneek up on me in my sleep, my firarm being in the open won't matter much. I am willing to take that risk so I can have it there to use in an instant. SO far my plan is to have it within reach in a flash but not so easy as to grab it in my sleep! A safe does not make a good option for me.

therooster
Posts in topic: 2

Post by therooster »

Diode wrote:A safe does not make a good option for me.
+1

some people think about this stuff the wrong way(IMO).

here is a story to help lead up to my point...

while at the range one day with a fellow shooting buddy, we opened the trunk of his car to unload our equipment. my buddy noticed a little handle on the inside of the trunk that said something to the effect of "pull to release trunk". my buddy turned to me and said, "you know, if you had to use that you would have to stop and seriously ask yourslef... what lead up to me being in this perdicament" :lol: . he made a very good point.

a lot of times we focus so much on the solution to a problem, we overlook avoiding the problem all together. let me try to further explain.

:Aside: i hate using "what if" scenarios, because "what if" is limited only by ones imagination, which is limitless. but i think its necessary to demonstrate the thought process in this particular situation. :Aside:

If you keep your gun easily accessable at your beside, and if a badguy were to sneek in your room and get to it before you wake up; we would agree this is a bad situation. i think we can also agree that "bad" is a negative term. so, keeping in mind the story i told above, here is the problem with this situation. that scenario has been played over and thought about countless times on many different forums, and all of them have made the same mistake. everyone constantly reinforced a negative thought process by focusing only on that one bad little piece of the "what if" situation that they completely pass up how to avoid the situation all together. you have to seriously ask yourself... what lead up to me being in this perdicament?.

so, instead of thinking about the bad/negative (what would i do if i were in this bad situation), start thinking about the positive (what can i do to make sure no one would ever be able to get to me and my weapon before i could). i think you will find that there are a lot more options with the latter, and options are good.

does this make any sense to you guys? honestly, because i fell like its hard to explain.
"live with honor, and let not your death be born by the pallbearers of disgrace, cruelty, weekness, and fear." - Justin Smith in a letter to Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

TXDPSA

Topic author
Diode
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Diode »

Makes very good sence, good points. We have a dog in the back yard, yappy dog inside, alarm system on the doors and a creaky staircase to get up to us.

da.suxor

Post by da.suxor »

therooster wrote: my buddy noticed a little handle on the inside of the trunk that said something to the effect of "pull to release trunk". my buddy turned to me and said, "you know, if you had to use that you would have to stop and seriously ask yourslef... what lead up to me being in this perdicament" :lol: . he made a very good point.
That is there for kids that lock themselves in trunks accidently.
Sic vis pacem, para bellum

therooster

Post by therooster »

da.suxor wrote:
therooster wrote: my buddy noticed a little handle on the inside of the trunk that said something to the effect of "pull to release trunk". my buddy turned to me and said, "you know, if you had to use that you would have to stop and seriously ask yourslef... what lead up to me being in this perdicament" :lol: . he made a very good point.
That is there for kids that lock themselves in trunks accidently.

yes... we both know that. that wasnt the point. please re-read.
"live with honor, and let not your death be born by the pallbearers of disgrace, cruelty, weekness, and fear." - Justin Smith in a letter to Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

TXDPSA

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”