Campus Carry Question

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Aggie_engr
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Campus Carry Question

Post by Aggie_engr »

Just because something doesn't directly affect you is a poor excuse to not stand up for the rights of others to defend themselves, IMO.
:iagree:.... :totap:

Topic author
LaUser
Posts in topic: 4

Post by LaUser »

1TallTXn wrote:You're right, this bill wouldn't affect most students. But, there's quite a few staff/faculty that would be allowed to carry.
I thought about that after I posted the thread. My hat is off to you for pointing this out. :tiphat:
The Republican Party has been taken over by the Four Horsemen of Calumny,
Fear, Ignorance, Bigotry and Smear.

Topic author
LaUser

Post by LaUser »

Just because something doesn't directly affect you is a poor excuse to not stand up for the rights of others to defend themselves, IMO.
I defended others longer than most college students have been on this earth. That's why I just never gave it any thought, therefore no opinion on the matter.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Liberty »

LaUser wrote:
1TallTXn wrote:You're right, this bill wouldn't affect most students. But, there's quite a few staff/faculty that would be allowed to carry.
I thought about that after I posted the thread. My hat is off to you for pointing this out. :tiphat:
Depends on the school a lot of the commuter type schools such as the University of Houston has a lot of older students, Lots of older part time students go nights. Campuses are a mixture of a lot different people. I would dare guess that most people on campus are not the 19 to 20 year old alcoholics irresponsible party goers that the media would have us believe they are. Somtetimes even old guys like myself have reason to be on campus.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Liberty wrote:
LaUser wrote:
Depends on the school a lot of the commuter type schools such as the University of Houston has a lot of older students, Lots of older part time students go nights. Campuses are a mixture of a lot different people. I would dare guess that most people on campus are not the 19 to 20 year old alcoholics irresponsible party goers that the media would have us believe they are. Somtetimes even old guys like myself have reason to be on campus.
You are correct about the most not being the 19-20 yrs olds the media talks about. If you will notice the media only makes this slanderous insult when talking of CC. The talk about the mature Young Democrats that are on campuses registering responsible voters & educating society about the progressive needs of the new day. :banghead: (we sure need a puke icon for places like here.)

I was 31 when I started to college & commuted as you stated. Never talked about it but lated night commutes in Marrion County from Marshall to Jefferson & for a while from Marshall to West Shreveport Fair Ground area. You bet there was one in the truck. If carry had been legal that would have been just as quiet as Campus Carry needs to be when we get it..
From start to finish I had 5 Profs that were younger than I was. One man & a couple of ladies were retired & went back. They laughed that they never had a Prof that was even close to their age.
Campus Carry will make the active shooter pick a different target or at least know there will not be 30 victims again for sure.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

Community colleges are going to have much higher age demographics. Especially as the economic profiles in the community change, and further education is needed by the population. I've seen classes at our local CC where over half the class was over 30. Trades like welding, truck driving, AC & HVAC, police sciences, and computers perpetually have older attendees.
The demographics are going to vary around the state and by institutions.
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

stash

Post by stash »

Should this pass am I correct in assuming that any CHL holder could carry in a building on a campus? All I ever see here and elsewhere is students, faculty, staff, etc. mentioned. I can see where someone who does not fit in these groups might have a reason to visit a building on a college campus.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

It would apply to ALL CHL holders.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Owens

Post by Owens »

Believe I'll chime in on this one.

I teach at a CC in technical ed. Took a mental survey of students that are in our building all day and came up with a very short list of CHL/potential CHL.

That number is 4. Of those, only 1 has a CHl. 2 say they are going to, but have not taken a class as of yet. 4th most likely will not.

This is out of 35.

So yes, the number is very low, at least here.
Life Member NRA, TSRA

Captain Matt

Post by Captain Matt »

Aggie_engr wrote:
:iagree:.... :totap:
Like open carry?
"hic sunt dracones"

Topic author
LaUser

Post by LaUser »

I'm originally from Louisiana which allows open carry. http://opencarry.org/la.html
I never saw anyone open carry, except for the police.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Owens wrote:Believe I'll chime in on this one.

I teach at a CC in technical ed. Took a mental survey of students that are in our building all day and came up with a very short list of CHL/potential CHL.

That number is 4. Of those, only 1 has a CHl. 2 say they are going to, but have not taken a class as of yet. 4th most likely will not.

This is out of 35.

That's actually probably higher than the general Texan population
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Keith B »

Liberty wrote:
Owens wrote:Believe I'll chime in on this one.

This is out of 35.

That's actually probably higher than the general Texan population
1 out of 35 is higher, but he stated it was a technical class, so I am sure there is a higher possibility of gun-types in there than say a theater class. However, with the increase in gun interest in the last year, I expect we will see the CHL percentage go from the current 1.3% of the population to a higher percentage.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”