carrying on a boat

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

FlynJay
Posts in topic: 3

Re: carrying on a boat

Post by FlynJay »

Russell wrote:...
Now I didn't mean it in that way. Weg is welcome here in my book, I was just pointing out that this forum is viewable to anybody that wishes to search for is and anything you post can be used against you in a court of law.
Last edited by FlynJay on Fri May 01, 2009 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
IANAL, what I write should not be taken as Legal Advice.
"Why I may disagree with what you say, I’ll fight to the death your right to say it."

particle
Posts in topic: 2

Post by particle »

As a general rule - if someone says something that they perhaps shouldn't have, or is inappropriate in some way and needs to be edited, DON'T QUOTE THEIR POST. If you truly feel they should edit it, quoting them simply creates a copy that the original poster CAN NOT edit!

:tiphat:
http://www.adamsleatherworks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

newlife12176 wrote:
I agree, and I will add you may want to go just go find another forum to be a member of. We try to keep a clean image here of CHL holders as being honest, law abiding citizens. Not potential criminals.
Wow, how closed minded can you be? Do you think everyone should have the same ideas, philosophies, and moral judgement as yourself? I am a law abiding member of this forum and a CHL holder so dont speak for me. This person is allowed to say and do whatever he wishes. He is entiltled to his own opinion and has every right to express it in this PUBLIC forum as long as he follows the rules.

Furthermore, let me ask you a question. Do you ever speed a little when late to a meeting or Dr apt? Have you ever thrown your gum wrapper on the ground or your cigarrete? Have you ever moved from one state to the next and not had your address changed on your DL within 10 days? Dont lie. When you answer those questions truthfully, you will be a hipocrit. Technically you are a criminal breaking the law, only the severity has changed. Get off your high horse.
Very well said. Quite frankly, if this forum is some kind of exclusive club, I too am in the wrong place. But I really don't think it is...I hope anyway.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

particle wrote:As a general rule - if someone says something that they perhaps shouldn't have, or is inappropriate in some way and needs to be edited, DON'T QUOTE THEIR POST. If you truly feel they should edit it, quoting them simply creates a copy that the original poster CAN NOT edit!

:iagree:

Wrightwing
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Wrightwing »

nitrogen wrote:Everyone here is a potential criminal. Heck, everyone in America is a potential criminal.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 6fe58.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From the DMN this morning..Though sending more people to prison costs the state money, lawmakers don't have to take that into account in their bills. It's how Texas has more than 2,300 felonies on the books, Henson said – 11 of them involving oysters.

"At this point, we've criminalized everything that remotely needs to be criminalized," he said.

:rules:
Texas CHL Instructor
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Life Member

tfrazier

Post by tfrazier »

I'm frantically sewing the tags back on my mattresses...

Keith B
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Keith B »

OK folks, rule 4 says: No posting of messages promoting illegal conduct.

The forum will not condone violations of the law. While people will do what they want, and I am guilty of breaking laws myself, we should abide by them. Event though we may not like all of the laws, it is the responsibility of every person to be a good citizen and obey them. That includes adhering to 30.06 & 51% signs, and all other statutes and laws that are in place concerning anything discussed here.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

FlynJay

Post by FlynJay »

particle wrote:As a general rule - if someone says something that they perhaps shouldn't have, or is inappropriate in some way and needs to be edited, DON'T QUOTE THEIR POST. If you truly feel they should edit it, quoting them simply creates a copy that the original poster CAN NOT edit!

:iagree: and have edited my posts accordingly.

But, back on topic.
Does anybody know of any cases and convictions that have occured because of the COE "rule"?
IANAL, what I write should not be taken as Legal Advice.
"Why I may disagree with what you say, I’ll fight to the death your right to say it."

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

FlynJay wrote: Does anybody know of any cases and convictions that have occured because of the COE "rule"?
I am unaware of any cases. There could be some out there, but since it may only be written and fined, finding case history will be tough and I haven't been able to find anything.

I will not put myself in a position to be a test case though.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

couzin

Post by couzin »

Without discussing past history and former employers. There have been a bunch of cases of weapon (gun) possession on USACE managed fee lands. The three (yep 3) I remember clearly were just verbal warnings to unload and put the gun away and/or leave the Corps property (each incident had a gun in very remote areas and not hunting - no Sheriff assist out there and USACE rangers are unarmed). The others I know of that did get citation and fines were just yahoos plinking and refused the ranger request to leave - a couple cases did escalate to arrest by calling in local law enforcement and adjoining Federal facilities that had LEOs. In the area I am familiar with, the local Sheriff or other Law Enforcement has been used when domestics or intoxicated instances, have been encountered and handguns have been found or known to be present. A suspected meth cookout is going to get law enforcement - guns or no guns.

There have been a several USACE rangers shot and two have been killed (one in 1977 and one in 2007).

Just consider it from the ranger's point of view - they are being asked to enforce regulations ('laws') with no other ability but verbal judo, defensive measures, and pepper spray. If they see, or become aware of, a gun in your possession, then they really are wisest if they just step away and call for armed LEO to assist (they do not know if you have a CHL or not - and cannot ask nor allow the gun even if you had a CHL). I understand having a CHL allows carry and that you are probably one of the good guys - and that is certainly peachy with me (or at least, used to be), but until the rules (regulations) change for the Corps like it has for the Park Service, one still runs the risk of an escalation if you are caught on USACE fee lands with a gun (outside of hunting season). So be very careful...
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

couzin wrote:....but until the rules (regulations) change for the Corps like it has for the Park Service, ...
FYI, the Park Service exemption has been temporarily (hopefully) reversed by a Judge pending an environmental review and you can't carry there now. :banghead:

Not sure the status of the review.
Keith

Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

Is Lake Livingston COE?
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Commander Cody wrote:Is Lake Livingston COE?
No, it is a Texas PWD lake and state park. A list of Texas COE lakes is posted earlier in this thread.
Keith

tfrazier

Post by tfrazier »

It's a shame it's illegal to carry on all those lakes.

There's alligator gar in 'em that are much more dangerous than crack-head burglars! "rlol" Not to mention there's alligator alligators! And it's only a matter of time before those Somali prates start going after freshwater craft...

Seriously, though, it chaps me that the federal government can tell me what I can and can't do in my own state.

That's why I'm pretty proud of Gov Perry for telling Obama to keep his stinking stimulus money.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

03Lightningrocks wrote:Quite frankly, if this forum is some kind of exclusive club, I too am in the wrong place.
It can't be too exclusive. They let me in. :lol:
Steve Rothstein

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”