Rock Island 1911

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Papalote
Posts in topic: 3

Rock Island 1911

Post by Papalote »

Can any of you tell me about this .45? It is described as military spec, parkerized, assume fixed sights. The early springfields were inexpensive and turned out to be good values. What about this one? The offer to me is 300.00

Papalote

Texasdoc
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Texasdoc »

they are not bad guns and 300 is about the right price for them.

I have had one and it was a good shooter

300shooter
Shoot more,then Reload and Shoot somemore. Image

http://www.texasguntalk.com

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

I had one and it was not even close to mil-spec. I will never own a phillipine made 1911 again. Rock Island, Charles Daly, Armscor etc. Mine might have been a lemon but I am not willing to try again.
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

I have not owned one, but have fondled many. They seem like decently built guns. They're no frills. I don't know about true mil spec but I've known a few that have used them as a base to build some nice guns.

Thane

Post by Thane »

I have one. While initially slightly rough, it's "worn in" quite well. I used to think it wasn't accurate at all; then I got accustomed to the sights, and my opinion changed drastically. It'll punch a magazine's worth of ammo through the same hole if I do my part, over and over again.

It's one of my favorite pistols, and likely to be a regular carry piece.

Lumberjack98

Post by Lumberjack98 »

I have one and am very pleased with it. It is very accurate.
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

bauerdj

Post by bauerdj »

I have a RI Compact and am very pleased with it. I bought it to use as a range gun as I didn't think it would be reliable enough to carry. I was wrong! over 500 rds through it and no a single FTF or FTE, and 100 of those rds were HP.

As far as accuracy its pretty good. A word of caution here - if you are a Glock shooter as I am, the grip angle is different and it will take you some practice to get comfortable and get good groups. That is tru of all 1911's if you are used to the Glock. (Nothing 'bad' about either one - just different)

Dave B.

Scroggwe

Post by Scroggwe »

I have owned one for a couple of years now and am very happy with it. It is accurate and well made. I carried 1911s for 23 years in the military and this one is as good as any I carried then. High Velocity, you probably had one of the early ones. When they first came out there were some problems with them and they had a bad reputation. They have since corrected the problems with soft steel and non-milsurp parts. The only thing that I would like to do to mine is change out the straight M1911 main spring housing for a arched M1911A1 main spring housing.

Bill Scroggins
U.S. Army, retired

Topic author
Papalote

Post by Papalote »

Well Gents, As it so often happens to me, it has been sold before I could move on it. Thanks for the replies. I will certainly know better the next time opportunity knocks.

Papalote

DiverDn

Post by DiverDn »

papalote,

If it's any consulation I have seen them several times for around the $300 mark. Keep looking I'm sure there are others out there.

I saw a pair of Springfield GI models used in a gun store a while back for $350 each. I was tempted to buy them both but didn't. Went back two days later and they were gone.

Topic author
Papalote

Post by Papalote »

DiverDn, PM'd you.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”