Poll: Reasons you have not gotten a CHL?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

If you would like to have a CHL, but haven't applied, why?

Cost ($140 initial; $70 renewal)
33%
Required class time (10hr. initial; 4 hr. renewal)
12%
Too many areas where CHL's can't carry their guns
12%
Don't know how to go about getting one
4%
Other
39%

Total votes: 275

jiannichan
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Poll: Reasons you have not gotten a CHL?

Post by jiannichan »

Still waiting for TxDPS to finish processing, otherwise I'd have it.
-jchan

TxDrifter

Post by TxDrifter »

Mine was a combination of the class time and the now ex-wife just being a pain about it. I travel a lot for work, so it is a pain to schedule it.
USAF Veteran
Lifetime NRA Member
Do or do not, there is no try.
For those who fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

Count

Post by Count »

I can carry without a CHL at home and when I travel. I can't carry at work even if I get a CHL.

I'm not sure getting a CHL is worth the time and money considering the limited number of additional places it allows me to carry. So many places are off limits in the arbitrary rules for CHL.
The information in this message is not provided in the course of a client relationship and is not intended as legal, accounting, or other professional advice.

TxFig
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TxFig »

I have my CHL now (took the class in July, got the license by Oct). But I answered the poll anyway..

for me, it was the money. I have 3 daughters in college, so finding a spare $200 was just about impossible for me. In fact, when I took the class, I did so because someone else paid for it (a belated birthday present).

sfagrad2003

Post by sfagrad2003 »

Wife and I just went through class yesterday. Paperwork in the mail on monday. Class wasn't bad at all, and I actually found it informative. However, as one poster above mentioned....I do think the "Crazy guy" in every group really turns of some people. I would recomend going through class to any one from any background.

ES4Me

Post by ES4Me »

I haven't taken the class because I am an anal, type A sort of person who thinks everything has to be perfect. I have this crazy belief that I should be able to hit the "x" every shot and if I don't...I keep practicing, and practicing, and practicing. :roll: I am also afraid my gun will jam...and I will panic. And....and....and... :oops: I have sucked it up and I am taking the class March 21.
CHL Class - 08/22/09
App Mailed to DPS - 09/16/09
Recv'd by DPS - 09/17/09
Processing App - 11/11/09
Plastic in Hand - 12/26/09

Morgan

Post by Morgan »

Just remember... the X is the button on the bad guy's shirt. Your target isn't the button... it's the middle 1/2 of the shirt.

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

I had a CHL years ago, and didn't renew it. Mostly because I didn't have a gun/holster combination I liked. I wasn't taking advantage of my ability to carry, so why go through the time/expense to renew?

My firearm of choice was a Glock 23 - too thick (I'm 5'11", 175#). Stumbled across the Walther PPS (in 9mm) a few weeks ago, and my interest in carrying has been rejuvenated. Have just received my CHL packet from DPS, should take the class in the next few weeks.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

TxFig

Post by TxFig »

Morgan wrote:Just remember... the X is the button on the bad guy's shirt. Your target isn't the button... it's the middle 1/2 of the shirt.

That's sort of like my mentor (well, good friend) who was a US Army Green Beret/Special Forces who had the saying:

"I shoot minute of man"

beccasgrandpa

Post by beccasgrandpa »

There is one other reason you might add, I have met several who have not applied for CHL because of ARROGANCE ! They believe carrying is a God given right and they don't have to get a permit from anybody. I don't disagree with their principle, just don't want to tangle with the law and then be denied the ability to carry because I BROKE the law.

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

Wouldn't that fall under "Other" in the poll? :headscratch
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

LaUser

Post by LaUser »

I don't need one. As a retired LEO, I am qualified to carry concealed under the Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act of 2004. It is a federal law that prevents any state from keeping me from carrying concealed, including New York and California. However, I would not push the issue in those states or other states that do not permit concealed carry. I could still be arrested and have my weapon confiscated, wrongfully so. There is no guarantee of some hot shot officer or DA wrongfully arresting me, etc.
The Republican Party has been taken over by the Four Horsemen of Calumny,
Fear, Ignorance, Bigotry and Smear.

zaroffhunts

Post by zaroffhunts »

LaUser wrote:the Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act of 2004
One of many unconstitutional federal gun laws.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man" - Ernest Hemingway

llanite

Post by llanite »

Delayed for a good reason - when I started pistol shooting my wife started coming along of her own accord. Then she wanted a range gun of her own. Then she wanted us to take the class together, but wanted to feel comfortable with the shooting test. I'm poorer, but we're finally scheduled for the last weekend in April!

MorphiusFaydal

Post by MorphiusFaydal »

I haven't gone b/c I haven't been able to get both the time off of work and have the money at the same time. To the best of my knowledge, Patriot Firearms is the only place that does CHL in Lubbock. I'll admit I haven't looked that hard for alternates....

And of course, I only just got my first gun in the middle of March... And there's only been 3 classes since then. But I'm planning to take it sometime in May. I have the money, and I can get the time off of work.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”