Walther PPK???

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
RECIT
Posts in topic: 4

Walther PPK???

Post by RECIT »

I am looking into getting a backup pistol or something that I can carry when just wearing t-shirt and jeans. I also want a pistol that I don't hate shooting at the range. I am very interested in the Walther PPK/S style pistol. I know there are several copies of this type of pistol. Can anyone tell me the difference between the PPK and the PPK/S pistol. Are any of the copies just terrible junk to stay away from and are certain age ranges inherent to problems. And finally are they made in any other calibers than .380 and .32?
"I am a Free Man, regardless of what set of 'rules' surround me. When I find them tolerable, I tolerate them. When I find them obnoxious, I ignore them. I remain free, because I know and understand that I alone bear full responsibility for everything I do, or chose not to do."

HankB
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Walther PPK???

Post by HankB »

The PPK/S just has a longer frame than the original PPK, a "bureaucrat's gun" designed a couple of decades ago in order to make the requisite number of "points" to be importable.

The pistols were made famous by Ian Fleming in his "James Bond" novels, and they're decent, but IMHO there are better choices for concealed carry, primarily because not all examples exhibit sterling reliability.

The .32s are WAY too big for the caliber, and despite the cartridge's popularity in Europe, it's not really a "stopper" even among handgun rounds.
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

Topic author
RECIT

Post by RECIT »

I NEED to add that I just think they are plain sexy. I also like the HK P7 but they are astronomical in price and hard to come by.
"I am a Free Man, regardless of what set of 'rules' surround me. When I find them tolerable, I tolerate them. When I find them obnoxious, I ignore them. I remain free, because I know and understand that I alone bear full responsibility for everything I do, or chose not to do."

CompVest
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CompVest »

I have a PPK/S it is a great little gun. The only draw back is that it gets HOT when shooting a lot of rounds through it. The takes a away from the fun of shooting it.
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

The May issue of The American Rifleman came today. On page 26 there is an article that states, "Smith & Wesson is recalling all Walther PPK and PPK/S pistols manufactured from March 21, 2002, until Feb 3, 2009".

What does S&W have to do with Walther? :headscratch

Medino

Post by Medino »

i love my PPK it has never given me any problems. For a backup it is a good gun maybe a little underpowered but then again that is why it is a backup. I can wear most anything hand have it concealed even in my pocket if wearing looser jeans.

Almost forgot i had to send in my PPK for repairs at S&W. S&W makes the newest PPKs and they had a problem with the safety and hammer.
Personally, I’m interested in keeping other people from building Utopia, because the more you believe you can create heaven on earth the more likely you are to set up guillotines in the public square to hasten the process.--James Lileks

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

Oldgringo wrote:What does S&W have to do with Walther? :headscratch
US distributor.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

If you are interested in buying one, keep an eye on Gunbroker.com. We took a bunch of pistols over to the Facilities Commission today to be sold off. One was a PPK. It will go fairly cheaply since it has been sitting in our safe for several years without being touched (as in now showing a fair amount of surface rust).

The TFC contracts with CDN Systems in Leander as their firearms licensee for selling surplus and confiscated guns on Gunbroker. So seller "CDNsystems" is who to look for to help the state budget a little.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
RECIT

Post by RECIT »

Now taking a second look at things I don't know if I could afford shooting a .380. I think I should just stick to 9mm and buy a Walther PPS or another slim type 9mm. I did not know the ammo to feed one of those things would break the bank.

AEA

Post by AEA »

Want a slim 9mm? Check out a Browning Hi-Power!

Want something smaller? Check out a Kahr K9.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

RECIT wrote:Now taking a second look at things I don't know if I could afford shooting a .380. I think I should just stick to 9mm and buy a Walther PPS or another slim type 9mm. I did not know the ammo to feed one of those things would break the bank.
I just came back from Palestine after talking to the Wal-Mart sporting goods department manager about his bare shelves and lack of ammo. He said they now get a few boxes every now and then as compared to formerly receiving cases of ammo every night. LSS, he confirmed that .380 acp was non-existent.

There wasn't any Diet Tonic Water on the shelves either. :grumble

TxDrifter

Post by TxDrifter »

That is what my fiance settled on. The PPK/S with crimson trace laser grips. She likes it.
USAF Veteran
Lifetime NRA Member
Do or do not, there is no try.
For those who fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

casingpoint

Post by casingpoint »

The Walther PPK/S is the most ergonomic pistol I ever put my hands on. More grip length than a Glock 19. But it is limited to 380 APC caliber by the blowback design. Although kicky even in 32 ACP, it is extremely accurate on account of the fixed barrel, however, and exceedingly concealable and a natural pointer. But I think it has probably been superceeded by the new 9mm PPS, which is only nine-tenths of an inch wide. The 9mm capability gives you a wide choice of much more potent ammunition.

Medino

Post by Medino »

I just got my PPK back yesterday. Looks like now when you put on the safety there is a block that comes down to surround the firing pin to prevent the hammer from hitting it. I sent my pistol out 3 months ago. Not horrible but then again i heard they recalled all PPK, PPK/s pistols so you can imagine how many they had to do.
Personally, I’m interested in keeping other people from building Utopia, because the more you believe you can create heaven on earth the more likely you are to set up guillotines in the public square to hasten the process.--James Lileks

BigBlueDodge

Post by BigBlueDodge »

boomerang wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:What does S&W have to do with Walther? :headscratch
US distributor.
Actually S&W is more than a distributor. They actually make the Walther PPK. They bought the license from Walther and are the current producers the PPK. If you look at the product description page for the PPK

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/ ... sFirearm=Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you will see the following
and the PPK are now produced in the USA under license by Smith & Wesson

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”