February Applications

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

mactex
Posts in topic: 2

Re: February Applications

Post by mactex »

Well, I was completely surprised today when my plastic arrived. When I checked status on Thursday afternoon it still said processing application! I had been taking a nap when I wife came into the bedroom and told me that I was now certifiable. Got to love her!

ls6tt
Posts in topic: 20

Post by ls6tt »

I as well am in Tarrant County, nothing in the mail today (darn given its my birthday) maybe next week, we shall see
-Alex

ikishk
Posts in topic: 21

Post by ikishk »

I'm in Williamson, my wife called me earlier to tell me I got something with a card in it from "texas dept of licensing and regulation" on saturday. Can't wait to get home! website still says "processing"
11/07/08 online app
12/24/08 Packet received
02/04/09 training
02/06/09 packet mailed
02/07/09 Rtrn rcpt rcvd
03/06/09 Proc App
03/25/09 Incomplete App
03/30/09 picts mailed
03/31/09 Rtrn rcpt rcvd
04/06/09 proc app
05/02/09 license issued
05/06/09 Plastic received

Pistol storm 40
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Pistol storm 40 »

I guess this week must of been good for license's! Received mine yesterday as well :cheers2:
My status changed from processing to issued on the 13th, license in hand the 17th!!! :woohoo

Even did the Wally walk yesterday too....

74novaman
Posts in topic: 25

Post by 74novaman »

Still says processing application, but I received my PIN on the same day as some of you guys (March 16th) so I'll check the mail tomorrow and hope I got lucky. Of course, I was expecting it to take another month or so, and just this Friday ordered my Crossbreed Supertuck for the gun. :grumble If my permit gets here before my holster, I don't know what I'm going to do. "rlol"
TANSTAAFL

ikishk

Post by ikishk »

ikishk wrote:I'm in Williamson, my wife called me earlier to tell me I got something with a card in it from "texas dept of licensing and regulation" on saturday. Can't wait to get home! website still says "processing"
wife FAIL. false alarm :( was my HVAC cert :(
11/07/08 online app
12/24/08 Packet received
02/04/09 training
02/06/09 packet mailed
02/07/09 Rtrn rcpt rcvd
03/06/09 Proc App
03/25/09 Incomplete App
03/30/09 picts mailed
03/31/09 Rtrn rcpt rcvd
04/06/09 proc app
05/02/09 license issued

DrinkRaiderade
Posts in topic: 13

Post by DrinkRaiderade »

I called DPS yesterday (Day 61) and asked about the status of my CHL Application. The Technician was quite short and said "It is processing". I said, "Well it has been 60 days and I was just wondering what a time table might be to get my CHL. What stage of processing is it in? Are my background checks complete?" She said "yes your background checks are complete. Your application is 'Under Review'' I said "well, okay, what is the time table like getting my license?" She said "it is different for every applicant, if you call back in 2-3 weeks we might know something more." I just said "Fine whatever, have a great day" I didnt feel like I ever really got an answer as to when my license would be issued.

Emailed my State Rep (Rafael Anchia) State Senator (John Carona) and Rep. Joe Driver yesterday (along with the chl email address, havent gotten any response from it). The only office that I got a response from was Senator Carona's office. One of his staff members gave me a call to let me know that the Senator was concerned with CHL processing times and she would call her "Legislative Contact" at DPS to find out more on my situation. She told me to expect a call from DPS today with an "update" on my status and a timetable for when my license would be issued. At 3:00p today, I still had not heard anything so I called Senator Carona's office and spoke with the same member of his staff. She completely understood my frustration and said that she would again call DPS to get them to contact me, and if I have any more issues she or the senator would move further up the chain of command for me. I still have yet to receive a call from DPS, so I will probably be calling the Senator's office again tomorrow. I know that many people here have been waiting longer than me, but this issue will never be fixed until we collectively stand up for ourselves through our elected representation. Maybe this will only help my application be processed faster, but hopefully it will begin to speed things up for all of us.

I'm ready for it to get here.
Applied Online 02/03/2009
Took CHL Course 02/07/2009
Packet & PIN Arrived 02/17/2009
Mailed Packet (Certified) 02/18/2009
Packet Received by DPS 02/19/2009
Online Status Changed to Processing Application 03/13/2009
Application Complete 05/28/2009
Plastic in Hand 06/03/2009 (104 days)

dimbulb
Posts in topic: 12

Post by dimbulb »

Emailed DPS for a update. Got this reply:

"We are currently awaiting the printing of the license. Thank you for your continued patience."

Nice.
the DIMbulb

74novaman
Posts in topic: 25

Post by 74novaman »

dimbulb wrote:Emailed DPS for a update. Got this reply:

"We are currently awaiting the printing of the license. Thank you for your continued patience."

Nice.
Congrats! I dont know what would be worse...waiting for "processing application" to change, or to know that it's been issued, but hasn't been printed or mailed yet....
TANSTAAFL

ls6tt
Posts in topic: 20

Post by ls6tt »

dimbulb wrote:Emailed DPS for a update. Got this reply:

Nice.
bull reply, I got the same thing, then when I asked for a follow up on a time frame i got this back (seven days after my reply to them):

"Unfortunately we do not have an exact date, due to all license have to be screened before mailing out. Once the license is issued out the online system will state "application complete- license certificate active"."
-Alex

Pistol storm 40
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Pistol storm 40 »

Hello DrinkRaiderade »

Applied Online 02/03/2009
Took CHL Course 02/07/2009
Packet & PIN Arrived 02/17/2009
Mailed Packet (Certified) 02/18/2009
Packet Received by DPS 02/19/2009
Online Status Changed to "Processing Application" 03/13/2009
Application Complete-- XX/XX/XXXX
Plastic in Hand-- XX/XX/XXXX

I feel your pain that it is a very long time. I believe that you have to start from the date they started the processing and not the date they received it! So with that said, your application has been iin the processing mode for 40 days counting today. I am sure you will get it before the 60 day period.....Hope that helps....

dimbulb
Posts in topic: 12

Post by dimbulb »

Yeah, actually, the website still has me listed as "Processing Application". Go figure.
the DIMbulb

Allofus123
Posts in topic: 14

Post by Allofus123 »

Pistol storm 40 wrote: I believe that you have to start from the date they started the processing and not the date they received it! So with that said, your application has been iin the processing mode for 40 days counting today. I am sure you will get it before the 60 day period.....Hope that helps....
That is not correct. The following was taken from the DPS web site and is pretty specific about the time starting once they "receive" a properly completed application.
The statutory time periods for the department to conduct application reviews and background investigations shall be measured from the date an application was received and complete.

ikishk

Post by ikishk »

received and complete
The clock doesn't start the day you get your return receipt. They have to verify for completeness, this happens when they start processing, thus, the time starts when your "processing application" status updates.

Semantics, yes, but if you go back and read the forum posts, its been 60-70ish days from the processing, not the receipt. (excluding that period of 90+ days).

i have 36 days since processing (with a small break for a fuzzy photo), add 25 days for return receipt. Thats 61, one day over the specified statutory period. I'll just wait my 2-3 weeks from the processing timeframe before I throw a hissy fit like other have :)
11/07/08 online app
12/24/08 Packet received
02/04/09 training
02/06/09 packet mailed
02/07/09 Rtrn rcpt rcvd
03/06/09 Proc App
03/25/09 Incomplete App
03/30/09 picts mailed
03/31/09 Rtrn rcpt rcvd
04/06/09 proc app
05/02/09 license issued

Allofus123
Posts in topic: 14

Post by Allofus123 »

The code does not say the time starts "after" they verify it complete. It says the time starts from the time the application is received and complete. If you send in a completed application your time starts when it is received. I agree others have had and posted all kind of different experiences but that does not re write the code.
TITLE 37 PUBLIC SAFETY AND CORRECTIONS
PART 1 TEXAS DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY
CHAPTER 6 LICENSE TO CARRY HANDGUNS
SUBCHAPTER B ELIGIBILITY AND APPLICATION PROCEDURES
RULE §6.13 Application Review and Background Investigation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(a) Applications must be complete and legible. If an application is not legible or complete, the department will notify the applicant of the deficiency. The applicant will have 90 days from the date of the deficiency notification letter to amend the application. Upon written request, the department may extend the period to amend the application for one additional 90 day period. After the period to amend has expired, the application process will be terminated. An individual whose application has been terminated under this subsection will be required to submit new application materials and fees to apply for a license in the future.

(b) Time to review application and complete background investigation. The statutory time periods for the department to conduct application reviews and background investigations shall be measured from the date an application was received and complete. An application is not considered to have been received until it is complete.

Also, you may be mis figuring your own processing time since you did not have a "completed" application. The way the code is wrtten, your time did not start until it was completed which appears to be the end of March when you sent in the pictures. But who really knows. The process is logged jammed, some logs break through and others are stuck good. What most tend to agree on is it will get here when it gets here...... maybe. "rlol"

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”