Tea Party Carry? LGC §215.001

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Syntax360
Posts in topic: 2

Tea Party Carry? LGC §215.001

Post by Syntax360 »

I should remember this, but renewal time is fast approaching and I haven't "needed" to know this since I took the test...

What's the low-down on carrying at the Tea Parties? All I could find is LGC §215.001, which states
a) A municipality may not adopt regulations relating to the transfer, private ownership, keeping, transportation, licensing, or registration of firearms, ammunition, or firearm supplies.

(b) Subsection (a) does not affect the authority a municipality has under another law to:
(6) regulate the carrying of a firearm by a person other than a person licensed to carry a concealed handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, at a:

(A) public park;

(B) public meeting of a municipality, county, or other governmental body;

(C) political rally, parade, or official political meeting; or

(D) nonfirearms-related school, college, or professional athletic event.
I'm most concerned with the Dallas City Hall rally...

killerfly128
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Tea Party Carry? LGC §215.001

Post by killerfly128 »

I am taggin this. I am concedering goin to the one at lagrave field. I wonder if Gov. Perry being there will prohibit me from carrying.

Topic author
Syntax360

Post by Syntax360 »

Glad someone else is wondering - I was feeling kind of silly for "having to ask" :cheers2:

killerfly128
Banned

Post by killerfly128 »

Syntax360 wrote:Glad someone else is wondering - I was feeling kind of silly for "having to ask" :cheers2:
You are silly :leaving

boomerang
Posts in topic: 1

Post by boomerang »

by a person other than a person licensed to carry a concealed handgun
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

I will be skipping the one at la grave field in favor of attending the one in Arlington at Legacy River Park. I don't really want to deal with the security that may be in place at la Grave field for the Governor.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

killerfly128 wrote:I am taggin this. I am concedering goin to the one at lagrave field. I wonder if Gov. Perry being there will prohibit me from carrying.
When Gov. Perry made his stop in Lufkin a couple of yrs ago it was at the Rep. Party Headquarters here. I was carrying & there was no sign of anything that indicated a no. His security was w/ him. We all shook hands, no metal detectors, signs, anouncements or anything.

Cant address what may be in Dallas though.

I will be armed at the Nacogdoches Tea Party. :txflag:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Liberty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Liberty »

longtooth wrote:
killerfly128 wrote:I am taggin this. I am concedering goin to the one at lagrave field. I wonder if Gov. Perry being there will prohibit me from carrying.
When Gov. Perry made his stop in Lufkin a couple of yrs ago it was at the Rep. Party Headquarters here. I was carrying & there was no sign of anything that indicated a no. His security was w/ him. We all shook hands, no metal detectors, signs, anouncements or anything.

Cant address what may be in Dallas though.

I will be armed at the Nacogdoches Tea Party. :txflag:
and so will I in Seabrook
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Barring complications, my wife and I will be there too. I'll look for you if I go.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

LaserTex

Post by LaserTex »

+1 with LCP in San Antonio :-) I hope this gets the attention of our "EMPLOYEES" in Washington. They work for US, not the other way around!

Doug :txflag:
LaserTex
Air Force Retired ** Life Member VFW ** NRA Member **
** Life Member AmVets ** Patriot Guard Rider **

kitty

Post by kitty »

So, can we carry at LaGrave Field or not. My husband and I are going tonight, and I was hoping there would have been a consensus here.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

IANAL, but I believe you can carry at political rallies unless the location is posted 30.06. If it is at LaGrave Field, there can't be a professional or school baseball game going on.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

ClarkLZeuss

Post by ClarkLZeuss »

Syntax360 wrote:I should remember this, but renewal time is fast approaching and I haven't "needed" to know this since I took the test...

What's the low-down on carrying at the Tea Parties? All I could find is LGC §215.001, which states
a) A municipality may not adopt regulations relating to the transfer, private ownership, keeping, transportation, licensing, or registration of firearms, ammunition, or firearm supplies.

(b) Subsection (a) does not affect the authority a municipality has under another law to:
(6) regulate the carrying of a firearm by a person other than a person licensed to carry a concealed handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, at a:

(A) public park;

(B) public meeting of a municipality, county, or other governmental body;

(C) political rally, parade, or official political meeting; or

(D) nonfirearms-related school, college, or professional athletic event.
I'm most concerned with the Dallas City Hall rally...
The part I underlined, in red, refers to us CHLers. This statute is saying that a municipality can only restrict carrying by non-CHLers in those places. So if you have a CHL, you're safe. IANAL, but I plan to carry there.
"Love always protects." (1 Corinthians 13:7)

killerfly128
Banned

Post by killerfly128 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Barring complications, my wife and I will be there too. I'll look for you if I go.

Awesome ... it starts at 6PM right?

kitty

Post by kitty »

OK. Husband and I are both going to carry, so if we get busted, I know who to blame. hahaha

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”