Walkout at UT this Thursday

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
doublepush
Posts in topic: 4

Walkout at UT this Thursday

Post by doublepush »

During an family lunch on Saturday, my sister-in-law told us that she was taking part in her first protest. The protest is a walkout at UT because of some legislature to allow carrying on college campuses. She expressed great concern over the thought of people bringing guns on campus. I can't recall the exact conversation, but she was not very open to the idea of people exercising a constitutional right. She said that only people who are paid to protect the campus should be allowed to bring guns. I responded with, "Well that worked really well at Virginia Tech."

The conversation didn't get much further, and my father-in-law started to go on about how he was glad that I take the steps to protect my family and that Meredith might do the same. Since both of my sisters-in-law and my brother-in-law were present but didn't know that I carried, it got really awkward for me. My wife diverted the conversation; I don't know if the others really understood what was said, but I talked to my FIL later. This was the same guy who told everyone that I asked him for permission to marry his daughter. He's just missing that filter.

But I digress. Has anyone else heard about this walkout? I found a reference to it here: http://utexascrs.org/news/hey-sg-the-te ... evant-too/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
On April 16th it will be two years since the Virginia Tech shooting. Not a single survivor has said that guns on campus would be a good idea, and the panel charged with investigating the tragedy agreed that colleges should not allow students to carry handguns.

The authors of the bill have consulted the gun experts, but are ignoring the experts on security and on school shootings.

Walk out of class at 11:30am, to show that students believe bringing guns onto campus is not a solution.

Rally on the South Steps of the Capitol at noon, to hear from the experts on safety and security, and to make our voices heard.

Thanks to the following organizations for helping with this event:
UT Student Government
UT Senate of College Councils
UT Graduate Student Assembly
University Democrats
Info is also here: http://www.dailytexanonline.com/rally-f ... -1.1710938" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This Thursday at 11:30 a.m., you’ll have one of the most legitimate reasons ever to leave class.

UT students will be staging a walkout and gathering on the south steps of the Capitol for a rally at noon to alert the Texas Legislature of the grave mistake it will make if it allows concealed carry on campus.

Students need to show the Legislature how important a concealed-handgun ban is to the people it affects most — us.

Concealed carry on campuses has long been a distant dream of the gun-rights lobby, but it is now in danger of becoming a reality. The Texas House Committee on Public Safety recently voted a bill out of committee that would allow any resident with a concealed handgun license to carry on campus. The bill has 77 co-sponsors, meaning there is a good chance it will pass when it reaches the House. The Texas Senate has already passed a similar bill.

Though many licensed gun carriers are responsible people, a university is a place of action and emotion, and crimes of passion should be of primary concern for law enforcement.
I'm considering whether I should go down there myself. Anyone else interested? We can make it a TexasCHLForum Austin get-together!

-Brent

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Walkout at UT this Thursday

Post by stevie_d_64 »

A suggestion...

Those that have a holster...Should wear it like they did when "Students for Campus Carry" all got started...

When Thursday rolls around...Y'all walk right out with them...Then stop (or meetup) at the clock tower, and walk right back into class...

Don't say a word, do not try to engage or justify your position to anyone, just make an open statement alone with your "empty" holster...

And by all means...Smile...Like you know something they do not, and then let them try to figure it out...

If there are any CHL'ers in Austin who are available that day, you should join in wherever the empty holster brigade end up...

Like I said, it's just a suggestion...

Inviting a few legislators to join in might be effective as well, who knows...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Venus Pax
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Venus Pax »

Will this relative also participate in a walk-out of the mall, Wal-Mart, the grocery store, church, and the countless other locations where CHLs have carried for more than ten years without harming other citizens?
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

tfrazier

Post by tfrazier »

I'd sure like to know if any 'professors' being paid with my tax dollars participate in this walk-out...

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

tfrazier wrote:I'd sure like to know if any 'professors' being paid with my tax dollars participate in this walk-out...
If we manage to counter this protest with our own, we might be able to see for ourselves...The media will certainly gloss over your concern about the prof's taking off while on the clock, so to speak...
Last edited by stevie_d_64 on Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

gemini

Post by gemini »

quote Doublepush: ...."but I talked to my FIL later. This was the same guy who told everyone that I asked him for permission to marry his daughter. He's just missing that filter."

Sorry about your SIL and her failure to understand the importance of self protection. Sorry about your FIL with loose lips. However, I think the tradition of asking the father for permission to marry his daughter shows respect, courtesy, manners and good breeding on your part.

Topic author
doublepush

Post by doublepush »

I'm not a student there, so I won't take part in an "empty holster" protest. I prefer to see what kind of "peaceful" protest that college students give at the capitol, and I'd like to peacefully carry. My sister-in-law is not violent in any way, but I've heard that college students aren't always tame. I've had to be patient with this girl; she is not abrasive but she has that "I know everything" attitude when she talks about her beliefs. I was quite steamed at Easter last year when she said, "Happy zombie day." I let it slide at the time, but I'm pretty sure that I will escalate it the next time she does that.

-Brent

arod757

Post by arod757 »

gemini wrote:However, I think the tradition of asking the father for permission to marry his daughter shows respect, courtesy, manners and good breeding on your part.
Nah. I'll bet you a dollar he's the product of a good environment.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Russell wrote:Good! Let them walk out.

Maybe the won't come back :lol:
Come to think about it, that might actually be a good thing... :smilelol5: "rlol"

A mind is a terrible thing...

Ohhh, I forgot..."to waste"...
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

arod757 wrote:
gemini wrote:However, I think the tradition of asking the father for permission to marry his daughter shows respect, courtesy, manners and good breeding on your part.
I agree, and in a conversation we just had, he demonstrates patience...

Since I am a little older and meaner, my need to demonstrate economy of effort, sometimes opposes patience...It may be my downfall... ;-)
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

Topic author
doublepush

Post by doublepush »

stevie_d_64 wrote:
arod757 wrote:
I agree, and in a conversation we just had, he demonstrates patience...

Since I am a little older and meaner, my need to demonstrate economy of effort, sometimes opposes patience...It may be my downfall... ;-)
Whoa... I hope you're not talking about me. I am not that patient a man, but I did have good folks. My dad showed me what it's like to stick through difficult times.

-Brent

Sarah81
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Sarah81 »

Can someone who's in Austin PLEASE, pretty please, take a sign with the Brady Campaign's "Don't like it? Drop out of school" quote on it? :reddevil

lj bluesboy

Post by lj bluesboy »

Those that have a holster...Should wear it like they did when "Students for Campus Carry" all got started...
April 16th should be a day when both sides of the campus carry issue come together to remember those who died. Douva can correct me if I am wrong, but SCCC specifically DOES NOT hold its week-long open holster protest over the week of the anniversary of VT, because to do so would be to use the deaths of those involved for political gain. These are exactly the same kind of unscrupulous tactics that the Brady Campaign to Ban All Guns uses, and must not be associated with our movement. If we were to sink to this level, we would be no better than the gun-grabbers. The official SCCC Open Holster Protest is the week of April 20-24. I suggest that all who are able protest then and not during a day of national mourning.
I'm a Ramblin Rack from George's attack, and an Elephant Engineer!
App received by DPS 5/9; CHL issued day 129, 9/15

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

lj bluesboy wrote:
April 16th should be a day when both sides of the campus carry issue come together to remember those who died. Douva can correct me if I am wrong, but SCCC specifically DOES NOT hold its week-long open holster protest over the week of the anniversary of VT, because to do so would be to use the deaths of those involved for political gain. These are exactly the same kind of unscrupulous tactics that the Brady Campaign to Ban All Guns uses, and must not be associated with our movement. If we were to sink to this level, we would be no better than the gun-grabbers. The official SCCC Open Holster Protest is the week of April 20-24. I suggest that all who are able protest then and not during a day of national mourning.
Ok, that is interesting...I did not know that...And it makes sense...

It is unscrupulous to demonstrate in that manner, and if the walkout students (those who oppose, and want campuses to be gun free kill zones) then that should be noted, and countered at an appropriate time...

I believe there would be quite a bit of support from a lot of people at that time...
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”