Large North Texas church posting 30.06

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

tfrazier
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Large North Texas church posting 30.06

Post by tfrazier »

I think there's already a religious Glock fellowship...they're called Tupperware Parties. :smilelol5:

testersbc
Posts in topic: 1

Post by testersbc »

I attend a smaller church and the minister and the elders know i like weapons. my wife let it slip one night at choir practice!! :grumble :grumble I told my pastor if anyone comes in shooting and i yell "duck" they better hit the floor!! :thumbs2: :thumbs2: :thumbs2: :fire :fire :fire

flynbenny

Post by flynbenny »

Keith B wrote:I think it is important to make sure your church understands your position if they try to post a 30.06. I would be meeting directly if with the Senior Pastor on the issue and letting him know he will loose several members if they proceed with posting. Education of the church staff is key.

And, this is not a one denomination vs. another thing. I am Methodist. If you think we are more open to guns than another denomination, read the first sentence in the third paragraph of this UMC document :grumble http://archives.umc.org/interior.asp?ptid=1&mid=937" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Besides, I know more Baptist preachers and members that carry than I do Methodist. Maybe it's because they are better at witnessing?? ;-)
That piece on the UMC site reads like they cut and pasted from the Brady site
Glock 19 Gen4 EDC, Glock 42 (golf gun), AR15 14.5" Midlength (nightstand gun), Browning Buckmark (fun gun)

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jimlongley »

I would invite one and all to attend Narrow Trail Cowboy Church in Plano.

We meet at the restaurant, Love and War in Texas, at the northwest corner of Plano Parkway and 75.

We serve (free) breakfast at 0900, and services, with some pretty good music (Randy Hopper, Austin Cunningham, Morris McCann, and many others) start about 0930.

Everyone is welcome, no matter what your faith, creed, color, background, sobriety, . . . well, no matter what.

If Plano is too far, there are maany other Cowboy Churches, try one, you might like it.

I never would have thought I would proselytize.

http://www.narrowtrail.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Oldgringo »

Thank you, Jim.

Are traditional denominatons veering from their original mission of spreading the good news of the gospel into the bad news of trying to mind my business? Perhaps that, and the dress code, are some reasons why the charismatic churches are growing in popularity while the traditional denominations are declining?

UpTheIrons

Post by UpTheIrons »

Oldgringo wrote:Thank you, Jim.

Are traditional denominatons veering from their original mission of spreading the good news of the gospel into the bad news of trying to mind my business? Perhaps that, and the dress code, are some reasons why the charismatic churches are growing in popularity while the traditional denominations are declining?
At the risk of dancing on the edge of the line of propriety for commenting on religion, I suggest that the mainline/traditional denoms are moving away from "The Gospel" and embracing "the Social Gospel", which, in biblical terms, is meaningless. Yes, we should feed the hungry and help the poor, just don't throw out the Gospel of Christ crucified when you do that.

That's driving people away from the mainlines and into "Bible Fellowship" type churches and "insert group here" Churches (like cowboy churches and such). People want to be with people like them, and they don't want to be "preached at."

And I say this as a Lutheran pastor. Of course, our congregation is out in the country, and we'll be lucky to have 1 tie tomorrow at our Easter services, and most of the leadership has (or is waiting for) their CHLs, so it's a little different where we are. No danger of posting a 30.06 out here!

(See how I brought it back on topic? :lol: )
"I don't know how that would ever be useful, but I want two!"

Springs are cheap - your gun and your life aren't.

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

This thread is veering off topic.
Byron Dickens

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

Russell wrote:Just for information's sake, here is the Catholic Church's official stance on gun's:

Statement from the official Vatican website:
... the right of legitimate defence by means of arms exists. This right can become a serious duty for those who are responsible for the lives of others, for the common good of the family or of the civil community. This right alone can justify the possession or transfer of arms". (Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace, "The International Arms Trade: an Ethical Reflection" in Origins 8 (24), 7 July 1994, p. 144).

And, Part 3, Section 2, Chapter 2, Article 5, Subsection 1, Heading 2, Paragraphs 2263-2265 of the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Bolding by me:
The legitimate defense of persons and societies is not an exception to the prohibition against the murder of the innocent that constitutes intentional killing. "The act of self-defense can have a double effect: the preservation of one's own life; and the killing of the aggressor.... The one is intended, the other is not."

Love toward oneself remains a fundamental principle of morality. Therefore it is legitimate to insist on respect for one's own right to life. Someone who defends his life is not guilty of murder even if he is forced to deal his aggressor a lethal blow:

If a man in self-defense uses more than necessary violence, it will be unlawful: whereas if he repels force with moderation, his defense will be lawful.... Nor is it necessary for salvation that a man omit the act of moderate self-defense to avoid killing the other man, since one is bound to take more care of one's own life than of another's.

Legitimate defense can be not only a right but a grave duty for one who is responsible for the lives of others. The defense of the common good requires that an unjust aggressor be rendered unable to cause harm. For this reason, those who legitimately hold authority also have the right to use arms to repel aggressors against the civil community entrusted to their responsibility.

Just interesting stuff. I am not Catholic, but have been doing research and reading on this denomination.
I am Catholic, and our parish deacon is pro carry and actually was concerend earlier in the year about the churches being held up during service.
soooooo there are a few that carry and we sit in strategic locales.
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Oldgringo »

Russell wrote:
bdickens wrote:This thread is veering off topic.

I disagree, I think it is very on topic.
I agree with Russell in that this thread is very much on topic. For instance, I was quite shocked to see the Methodist church's official position on guns (thanks to Keith). Should our minister decide he wants to follow that unacceptable mission, I'll have to bid them adios.

gemini
Posts in topic: 5

Post by gemini »

I attend a large Baptist Church in the DFW area. It is a Bible teaching, Gospel of Christ believing ministry. We have uniformed security, uniformed police officers and plain clothes officers at our services. We also have a large number of church members that carry. If the deacons or pastor ever decided to post 30-06 signs, I feel certain the outcry would be very loud. I think the chance of posting 30-06 is miniscule as several leaders on the deacons committee carry...... if 30-06 does get posted, I will be looking for a new church home.

tfrazier

Post by tfrazier »

A church should be the last place that would post 30.06 signs. The God given right for one to defend self, loved ones, and other innocents should not be violated, especially in His house.

As far as I'm concerned, a church that denies this basic right is very misguided.

tfrazier

Post by tfrazier »

True, and it's my own interpretation of the Jewish and Christian faiths...wasn't really intending to include other religions when I said "church". Had I been referencing the others I would have said, mosques, temples, Stonehenge, or 'sky-clad meadows'.

gemini
Posts in topic: 5

Post by gemini »

For whatever reason, it felt really nice having a .45 commander strapped on while attending the
Easter services this morning, and knowing that at least 2 other adults on my pew were packing
made me smile. Just saying.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”