After market parts for EDC

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
cwt33
Posts in topic: 3

After market parts for EDC

Post by cwt33 »

Hi yall new to the site and couldnt find anything on this so I will ask. I have a Glock 22 that I use as my EDC and for IDPA matches. It has afew after market parts like lighter trigger springs ect.. I am assuming that it probably isnt the best thing to do but was just curious if anybody had any info on it..

Thanks
Charles

Topic author
cwt33

Post by cwt33 »

Was my question poorly asked??

ElGato
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ElGato »

I don't think there would be any problems with things like a 3 1/2 lb connector, I like them :o
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Not poorly asked. I am not a G. owner. Many shooters have work done on their carry weapon. If you are happy w/ it & feel the job is good & safe, then it should be OK. W/ the "no safety" on the G. depending on how light the trigger is I may not be comfprtable w/ it. 'Course there are a lot of folks on the street that are not comfortable w/ me carrying a 1911 C&L. But I do & aint alone & aint changin. ;-)
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

therooster

Post by therooster »

there is not one case in texas where a CHL holder was convicted due to "modifications" on their gun.
"live with honor, and let not your death be born by the pallbearers of disgrace, cruelty, weekness, and fear." - Justin Smith in a letter to Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

TXDPSA

mschadt

Post by mschadt »

I just got my first glock (27) two weeks ago. It's also taken me that long to get to a point where a feel comfortable enough to carry it. I still prefer my sig though.

Anyway, the only problem I see with carrying a modified Glock would depend on what you did with the trigger. Lighter springs, lighter connecter, lighter striker spring. That last one would worry me the most with the possibility of a light strike on a hard primer. My main concern would be with reliability, I'm guessing that if you use it for IDPA it must run like it should. So as long as you’re careful not to let a piece of clothing get into the trigger guard and shoot yourself while holstering, and practice with your carry ammo to make sure it runs good in that gun. Then I see no reason why you shouldn’t carry the gun that you are most comfortable with.

Like Longtooth said if you're comfortable with it; that's all the really matters.

Topic author
cwt33

Post by cwt33 »

Thanks for the replys. I feel fine with it. I was thinking more along the lines of it being a legal issue. Say someone try to rob me and I had to use it to to protect myself. In the court room Im sure a lawyer would love to eat that up.

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

That would almost be like getting a fine for speeding according to the style of car your drive! Speeding is speeding. If it is within the law, I can't image it being a problem.

I love Glocks and carry one daily. I do not do anything to them that is not offered by the factory. I am not saying that this is absolute...just my personal policy. Take care.
Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

cxm

Reading Ayoob Too Much

Post by cxm »

I'm afraid people have read Ayoob too much.

Here in Texas you are unlikely to be sued for a good shoot... at least if we believe history teaches us anything. Maybe in New Jersey... but not in the majority of the country.

In teaching the CHL course, I find from time to time, I have to "un-teach" some of Ayoobs misinformation.

Now Ayoob, may have valid information for a particular jurisdiction, but passing it out as gospel for the whole country is a disservice to the average CHL holder. Most of the odd ball stuff Ayoob comes up with is from New York, New Jersey etc.

As a generalization, I would say most CHL holders fail to shoot when they should rather than shoot when they shouldn't. Such a failure can get you very dead... of course you also have to be sure you meet the basic tests for shooting before engaging.

We teach students to decide what their personal "rules of engagement" are and how they will be implemented in advance. Then they don't have to think about it and sort out what they think appropriate while under pressure.

If you have a good shoot, what you used is really not an issue... there is only one standard... that is deadly force... or not deadly force. The force you use is one or the other... and a 5lb trigger is just as much deadly force as a 3lb trigger. The only time I could see the trigger being an issue is if you were involved in an accidental shooting (a very bad thing btw.)

Bottom line is if you have a reliable gun that operates safely I would not much worry about the trigger.

Anyway, that is my spin on the issue... others obviously have different opinions.

FWIW

Chuck

cwt33 wrote:Thanks for the replys. I feel fine with it. I was thinking more along the lines of it being a legal issue. Say someone try to rob me and I had to use it to to protect myself. In the court room Im sure a lawyer would love to eat that up.
Hoist on High the Bonnie Blue Flag That Bears the Single Star!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”