TX State Guard Fingerprint and BG Check

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
kirock7
Posts in topic: 2

TX State Guard Fingerprint and BG Check

Post by kirock7 »

:coolgleamA: I'm a Vietnam era vet (USAF), 55 with grown kids, a 9 to 5 job... and want to do something that means something... so I've contacted the Texas State Guard and just received the "Dear Applicant" letter:
Your application for the Texas State Guard requires you to complete a fingerprint based criminal history check.
I followed the included link and I don't see a TX CHL license as being good enough to be qualifying ID (in other words; to satisfy the fingerprints and BG). Does anyone know if that's true?
I was asked to do a FAST fingerprint test (eleven bucks) and I guess I'm surprised that our CHL's don't hold more clout. Well... another round of fingerprints and BG checks isn't that bad, I guess. :txflag:
This month's training is at Ellington (which I just found out about), but I'd already committed to something else... so I'm looking at probably May to show up and sign up for real.
Any input from Texas Guard soldiers would be really appreciated (especially any older guys :-)).
Thanks!
(I'm printing out the Enlistment Packet as I type this :thumbs2: )
Last edited by kirock7 on Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

quidni
Posts in topic: 1

Re: TX State Guard Fingerprint and BG Check

Post by quidni »

Did you let them know that you have a CHL? I wasn't asked for fingerprints or background check when I joined; when I asked about it, I was told the CHL was sufficient.
TSRA / NRA
KA5RLA
All guns have at least two safeties. One's digital, one's cognitive. In other words - keep the digit off the trigger until ready to fire, and THINK. Some guns also have mechanical safeties on top of those. But if the first two don't work, the mechanical ones aren't guaranteed. - me

txfireguy2003

Post by txfireguy2003 »

I've been somewhat interested in the TXSG for a while myself. I'm a young man, and have never been in the military, so would I be required to attend some sort of basic training? I mean like a boot camp for a length of time. The reason I ask is that my current job would not allow me to be gone for everal weeks to attend boot camp, but I do get a certain amount of military leave just like the National Guard guys get. I just feel that, given the types of missions the TXSG tends to be deployed on, I would be well qualified since I already have search and rescue training, in addition to being a peace officer, and I'm about 5 weeks away from my Paramedic certification. I'm really interested, and want to do something like this, but don't think I would be able to get away for several weeks at a time for Basic, but for drill and deployments, I'm covered by state law, right?

GrillKing

Post by GrillKing »

For more info, take a look at this thread....

http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... hp?t=21609

Locksmith

Post by Locksmith »

No longer valid
Last edited by Locksmith on Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

WarHawk-AVG
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

I just finished my BG check and fingerprinting..they don't use a CHL..I asked repeatedly and no answer. (waiting to get sworn in!!)
txfireguy2003 wrote:I've been somewhat interested in the TXSG for a while myself. I'm a young man, and have never been in the military, so would I be required to attend some sort of basic training? I mean like a boot camp for a length of time. The reason I ask is that my current job would not allow me to be gone for everal weeks to attend boot camp, but I do get a certain amount of military leave just like the National Guard guys get. I just feel that, given the types of missions the TXSG tends to be deployed on, I would be well qualified since I already have search and rescue training, in addition to being a peace officer, and I'm about 5 weeks away from my Paramedic certification. I'm really interested, and want to do something like this, but don't think I would be able to get away for several weeks at a time for Basic, but for drill and deployments, I'm covered by state law, right?
National Guard "bootcamp" is a few weeks a month of weekends, where they give you the shock of bootcamp but its only for a weekend, then you come back next weekend (but its for like a month straight of no weekends)...its not like the Reserves or active duty bootcamp where you are gone for 3 months or longer.

I met one of our "charter" members a young guy that was there when the Maritime Brigade was started and has never been in the military...he was off and on for a while.

You have to remember the Texas State Guard is an ALL VOLUNTARY organization...you proved EVERYTHING...you aren't paid unless they activate you for emergency or whatever...all uniforms, transportation, firearms, yadda yadda you pay for out of pocket..I guess you could say we are ipso facto "The Texas Army" (I don't like to say this because too many people have negative connotations about he word "militia," but you could consider it a state run and supported militia)

Any and all "emergency" related training is absolutely a bonus because we are an "emergency response force" and not the paramilitary side like the National Guard...we are there to assist the emergency responder force when they are stretched so thin. I am joining a CERT class in Baytown so I can also get extra emergency responder training as well!

A great repository for CERT training and info
http://www.cert-la.com/index.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Texas State Guard is a statewide Community Emergency Response Team
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

gregthehand

Post by gregthehand »

National Guard has to ship away for basic and AIT for months. Just like everyone else. :tiphat:
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

txfireguy2003

Post by txfireguy2003 »

WarHawk-AVG wrote:I just finished my BG check and fingerprinting..they don't use a CHL..I asked repeatedly and no answer. (waiting to get sworn in!!)
txfireguy2003 wrote:I've been somewhat interested in the TXSG for a while myself. I'm a young man, and have never been in the military, so would I be required to attend some sort of basic training? I mean like a boot camp for a length of time. The reason I ask is that my current job would not allow me to be gone for everal weeks to attend boot camp, but I do get a certain amount of military leave just like the National Guard guys get. I just feel that, given the types of missions the TXSG tends to be deployed on, I would be well qualified since I already have search and rescue training, in addition to being a peace officer, and I'm about 5 weeks away from my Paramedic certification. I'm really interested, and want to do something like this, but don't think I would be able to get away for several weeks at a time for Basic, but for drill and deployments, I'm covered by state law, right?
National Guard "bootcamp" is a few weeks a month of weekends, where they give you the shock of bootcamp but its only for a weekend, then you come back next weekend (but its for like a month straight of no weekends)...its not like the Reserves or active duty bootcamp where you are gone for 3 months or longer.

I met one of our "charter" members a young guy that was there when the Maritime Brigade was started and has never been in the military...he was off and on for a while.

You have to remember the Texas State Guard is an ALL VOLUNTARY organization...you proved EVERYTHING...you aren't paid unless they activate you for emergency or whatever...all uniforms, transportation, firearms, yadda yadda you pay for out of pocket..I guess you could say we are ipso facto "The Texas Army" (I don't like to say this because too many people have negative connotations about he word "militia," but you could consider it a state run and supported militia)

Any and all "emergency" related training is absolutely a bonus because we are an "emergency response force" and not the paramilitary side like the National Guard...we are there to assist the emergency responder force when they are stretched so thin. I am joining a CERT class in Baytown so I can also get extra emergency responder training as well!

A great repository for CERT training and info
http://www.cert-la.com/index.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Texas State Guard is a statewide Community Emergency Response Team

So, if I understand this correctly, there is no real "boot camp" for the TXSG, but I would be required to attend a boot camp style training every weekend for a month? Or is that for the National Guard, but the TXSG has no training like this? I'm confused.

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

I sent an e-mail to the TX Guard weeks ago to a recruiter, but never received a response. /sigh
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Topic author
kirock7

Post by kirock7 »

All very good info.
I didn't know about the month of weekends for training if folks haven't ever served. Is there any such requirement for folks with a military background who haven't been in basic for a few decades? Is knowing military code, rules, protocol and ethics what is important?
Don't think I'll ever forget how to follow military protocol. :patriot:

Will938

Post by Will938 »

Yup, I'm in the process of joining and had to get my finger prints taken.

My enlistment meeting is on the 18th. I've got all my transcripts, and fingerprint receipt on hand. I've also taken FEMA IS100 and IS200 courses. I'll take a few more before the meeting. Is there anything else I should be doing? Anything I should submit online? They said a picture was required, and to fill out the application the best possible, but they would handle that during the meeting.

Also, I find it funny that the Sig P228 isn't acceptable due to its 3.9" barrel.

WarHawk-AVG

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

Purplehood wrote:I sent an e-mail to the TX Guard weeks ago to a recruiter, but never received a response. /sigh
It took me almost 2 months before I was contacted...their S-1 guy is deployed and when I sent mine in they were still working on Hurricane Ike stuff, they WILL get back to you!

kirock7 wrote:All very good info.
I didn't know about the month of weekends for training if folks haven't ever served. Is there any such requirement for folks with a military background who haven't been in basic for a few decades? Is knowing military code, rules, protocol and ethics what is important?
Don't think I'll ever forget how to follow military protocol. :patriot:
I do know the former military skip the bootcamp stuff [providing copy of honorable dd-213](heck I was out over 12 years and all is good [except I am still working on my weight]) Pretty much all professional courtesy from military is still retained in the State Guard, former Marines can wear the EGA on their uniforms (which means we set the utmost standards to honor the Corps), but don't think of it as some pop and snap military unit...we are civilians but we try to uphold all military honor and traditions while on guard and training.

I have asked my platoon Sgt and my platoon commander also my "recruiter" to come here and post more...I am just a NOOB and am still learning the ins and outs..but its common sense...if I can figure out what to do in only 2 drills..then you guys will pick it up right off the bat!
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

M9FAN

Post by M9FAN »

I've been a member of the TX State Guard here in Houston since December of last year and, despite having my CHL, still had to be fingerprinted and have a background check run as part of my application process.

If any of you in the Houston area are interested in joining my unit, the Texas Medical Rangers, here is a link to our web site: http://swc2.hccs.edu/texasmedicalrangers/ This site also contains recruiter contact information.

:txflag:
"Upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." - Alexander the Great

gregthehand

Post by gregthehand »

What's with providing a firearm? You actually use firearms in the State Guard?
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

WarHawk-AVG

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

gregthehand wrote:What's with providing a firearm? You actually use firearms in the State Guard?
No...we are mandated Emergency Response..but better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Return to “Off-Topic”