January Applicants

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

steve_stock
Posts in topic: 10

Re: January Applicants

Post by steve_stock »

That's funny that everyone knows who Steve at DPS is.

The email chain between my Rep. and I continued. I feel it is pretty entertaining, I'll post it next.

steve_stock

Post by steve_stock »

So if you read the original email on page 9 of this thread and the replies on page 10 this is what happened after that.

First, the reply from Jon telling me that no laws were being broken:

Mr. Stock,

You know, I completely understand where you're coming from on this. What helps us the most is that you're letting us know that this situation has occurred and we're able to get with DPS and find out what the problem is in your specific situation. Most of the time when we receive this complaint, by the time we get back in touch with the person who has issued the complaint they've already either received their license or their notice. Before the double whammy occurred of Ike plus fear of the new presidential administration (causing a record number of CHL applications) we never received a single complaint about the processing time.

On the question about DPS "breaking the law," the technical answer is that there is no penalty to be assessed. The 60 day guidelines are a target for the DPS to hit, and they appear to hit that most of the time. Like I said, as far as we know, they hit it all the time until just a few months ago when we began to receive these types of complaints. When we find out from constituents that there is a problem, we look into it and see what it takes to keep it from happening again. We are planning on taking a formal look at it this interim to see if there is a widespread problem that is trending the wrong direction, but the short answer we've received so far is that we've given DPS mandates that they cannot meet with the resources they've been given. We believe these new resources will make the department more efficient across the board, including in this area.

We'll call DPS today and see what the status is on your application. Thanks again for bringing it to our attention! We'll let you know what we find out.

Sincerely,
Jon English

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next, my reply to him on why I disagreed:

Mr. English,

Again, I appreciate your help with this matter and I'm trying not to take out my frustrations on you. I only want to make your office, as my representation, aware of what I am going through. However, I am not sure that I agree with your assessment that GC 411.177 is merely a guideline for DPS to follow. It clearly states that one of three things must happen no later than 60 days from them receiving and application. The language used in that section doesn't sound optional to me. If it is as you say a "guideline" or a "target" then which laws posted on their site are actually laws?

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/ls-16.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Since this section falls under Chapter 1 "Laws Relating to the Carrying of A Concealed Handgun in Texas" I assumed that they were indeed laws that are to be followed by everyone. Perhaps maybe GC 411.189 which relates to the handgun proficiency requirement could be interpreted as a guideline or target and not really necessary. I'm not trying to be smart with you or give you a hard time, really. It was the complete lack of concern from the DPS and their "above the law" attitude that sparked my initial email. If they would have just followed option 3 and sent me a letter within the 60 days and explained that they wouldn't be able to meet the deadline for reasons listed and an estimate of when they thought it would be complete I would have been ok with that. Instead, I get someone on the phone who is unhelpful and basically unprofessional.

Thank you again for your help and don't let my griping ruin your day.

Regards,
Steve Stock

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jon's repsone to add closure:

Mr. Stock,

I don't think you're being difficult at all! And you're right, not even being notified that DPS is not in under the deadline is a problem that is actually not common. The processing delay is common, but not hearing absolutely nothing. We've called DPS to find out what happened in your situation, and it's something we'll be specifically monitoring from now on. Please keep us informed and we'll give you a call when we hear something back.

Sincerely,

Jon English

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whatever, I got the phone call to DPS on my behalf that I wanted all along. If this guy wouldn't have tried to blow so much smoke up my rear, I wouldn't have been such a wise guy to him.

shh83
Posts in topic: 14
Location: Stephenville, Texas (one more week) and Rowlett, Texas

Post by shh83 »

For everyones pleasure, listed below is an email i directly copied and pasted from my inbox. I have taken out my email address and DL number for security reasons. Just for the record, my full DL number and my full name was in the message I sent them. What I sent is in red, and the response is in blue, probably from Steve, at the DPS!

()()()()()()()()()

Flag this messageRE: CHlThursday, April 2, 2009 8:23 AM
From: "CHLS" <CHL@txdps.state.tx.us>Add sender to ContactsTo: "Scott " <s*****@yahoo.com>

To provide the information requested, we will need your full name and one of the following: handgun license number, driver’s license number, or SSN. Please respond to this e-mail

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 9:14 AM
To: CHLS
Subject: CHl

Hi, I am just wanting to check the status of my chl.

TX DL # 0806****

Scott ******

This will be day 66 since DPS received my packet through certified mail. Thank you for your assistance.

Scott

prossound
Posts in topic: 4

Post by prossound »

:anamatedbanana I checked this morning and got the good news. certificate active. now what is this I hear about a Wally walk?

:thewave :thewave

Keith B
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Keith B »

prossound wrote::anamatedbanana I checked this morning and got the good news. certificate active. now what is this I hear about a Wally walk?

:thewave :thewave
Congratulations prosound. Here are the official rules for a Wally Walk http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... php?t=5204" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. You can also search on Wally Walk and come up with a ton of threads. Here is a really funny one http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... 81&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :lol:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

blackdog8200

Post by blackdog8200 »

Imagine my surprise when I logged in and saw:

Application Completed - license issued or certificate active

:thewave :txflag: :thewave

:woohoo
:clapping:

Just a little excited. Now to go and sleep by the mailbox!
Harris County
NRA Life Member 1986

MrSpkr

Post by MrSpkr »

Well, good news (of a sort) today: I spoke with the ever helpful "Jackie" at DPS. My background check has been completed, and they are now just waiting to print my license! :hurry:

Of course, she told me that will take 2-3 weeks to do.

what the heck? :mad5

I can do it in five minutes in my office. Maybe I should bid the CHL license printing contract, eh?

Steve
Ellis County
CHL Class 01-10-09 in Hutchins
Mailed packet (with prints, pics, etc.): 01-15-09
Processing Application since about 02-14-09
Certificate active: 04-10-09
Plastic in hand: 04-16-09
Total time from mailing to completion: 92 days

diveinstructor
Posts in topic: 7

Post by diveinstructor »

So if they're waiting to print your license, does your status still say "Processing application?"

Mine was reported to be waiting for the background checks to come back on March 23. Who knows how long it's been in that state?

MrSpkr

Post by MrSpkr »

Yes, it does. I called my state rep (jim Pitts) and talked to his assistant. She called DPS to investigate why that would take so long. Apparently, DPS will send this stuff out to a printer, and the delay is a result of the time it takes to get things back from the printer. After the licenses get back from the printer, someone at DPS has to review each license to verify that the information on the license is correct. Once that is completed, they mail the plastic.

I think this is typcal of government competence, quite frankly; at least I know the license application as been approved (though it still says "processing"), and that I will be able to do my Wally Walk before the end of the month.

Steve
Ellis County

snack

Post by snack »

Does anyone know how long its been taking for Galveston County chl's i'm going on over 72 days now. Talked to a lady friday and she said they are still waiting on my background check.?? :confused5

diveinstructor
Posts in topic: 7

Post by diveinstructor »

Riddle me this:

OK, it seems to me (and I may be wrong, probably am) that a physical CHL card is pretty much like a driver's license, as far as printing, format, material, layout, etc.

My youngest son turned 16 (I know, pity me...) and went to the local DPS office on Monday, March 16 to get his driver's license. On March 26, his driver's license came in the mail.

What am I missing here?

shh83
Posts in topic: 14
Location: Stephenville, Texas (one more week) and Rowlett, Texas

Post by shh83 »

I called again today. I actually asked to talk to Steve, but he was on the phone!! The lady said that if it still said "processing" it was going good.

I did not get her name, I was too busy to hear it when I asked for Steve.

I reminded her of the 60th day topic. She said in a "perfect world" everyone would have it by the 60th day. She said it is more of an estimate. I asked her if April 15 was the estimate for tax day and said I would send my taxes on the 16th (I have already done my taxes, just wanted to hear what she said). She said she would not reccomend it!

She also told me that EVERY SINGLE APPLICATION gets attention EVERY SINGLE day and that most people think that they do not. I asked her if that was the case then why has my license not been printed. I have been told before that I was just waiting for someone to make the physical license. I asked if someone had worked on mine today, and that was the only thing I am waiting on, why is it not done.

All I got was "sir, there are thousands and thousands thousands and thousands thousands and thousands thousands and thousands thousands and thousands thousands and thousands thousands and thousands thousands and thousands thousands and thousands thousands and thousands thousands and thousands thousands and thousands of applications, and I should just be patient"

I am THROUGH being patient!

Scott :mad5

DarrenB
Posts in topic: 4

Post by DarrenB »

Another one completed. Ironic that I sent an e-mail last night in an attempt to determine the status of my app. Wally Walk in a couple more days maybe? :biggrinjester:
Dallas County
Registered online for CHL: 1/6/09
Received packet/PIN: 1/15/09
Classroom: 1/17/09
Packet received by DPS: 1/28/09
Processing App: 2/27/09
Application Completed - license issued or certificate active: 4/7/09
Received license: 4/13/09

CainA
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CainA »

diveinstructor wrote:Riddle me this:

OK, it seems to me (and I may be wrong, probably am) that a physical CHL card is pretty much like a driver's license, as far as printing, format, material, layout, etc.

My youngest son turned 16 (I know, pity me...) and went to the local DPS office on Monday, March 16 to get his driver's license. On March 26, his driver's license came in the mail.

What am I missing here?
Because this would make too much sense and governmental agencies are not in the "make sense" business.

-Cain

MrSpkr

Post by MrSpkr »

CainA wrote:
diveinstructor wrote:Riddle me this:

What am I missing here?
Because this would make too much sense and governmental agencies are not in the "make sense" business.

-Cain
And my dad wonders why the idea of government-controlled health care scares the hell out of me.

Steve
Ellis County

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”