My Dog attacked by Pitbull while wearing my CCW

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Keith B
Posts in topic: 7

Re: My Dog attacked by Pitbull while wearing my CCW

Post by Keith B »

tfrazier wrote:
Keith B wrote:...stopped me about half-way in the door, mouth on my neck. He was not biting, but all 175 lbs was on me (I weighed about 140 at that time) and I was pinned to the ground. When I called his name, he backed off a little and I could peek out from under the hood. He saw me and immediately backed on down with his tail wagging. My sister and I both felt a lot more comfortable with her living alone after that! :thumbs2:
Very dangerous, especially with a dog that large if he gets your neck. The suits are great for stopping puncture wounds, but don't do a lot to eliminate the pressure that could break bones. You could have ended up with a broken neck. I've never seen a bite suit with a collar, so I'm not sure how your neck was covered, but it's been a good 20 years since I've worn one.

Nobody else should ever try this even if they have access to a $2,500 bite suit unless they have some good training and experience as an agitator, and you should always have an experienced handler present when doing bite work.
Had a padded and reinforced neck collar and hood. I could not feel any pressure at all. The Dane's have fairly strong jaws, but not as strong as a Shepard. Having play wrestled with him and having him 'bite' and mouth be before, I was not too concerned about being injured with the suit. But it WAS done in my younger more stupid days. ;-) The worst part of it was his big horse paws and weight on my back and having to clean Dane slobber off of the suit. LOL
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Tass
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Tass »

TFrazier,
You wrote:

Anyone who walks their dog in public should take a little time to study and understand the basics of dog psychology. Read Paul Loeb's book "Smarter than You Think" or watch a few episodes of the dog whisperer with Cesar Millan. Both those guys know what they are talking about, and most of the other non-law enforcement dog handlers and trainers are full of nonsense.

For the average pet owner, do not try to imitate Cesar Milan. I personally have seen people who did not have the skills needed for basic obedience training try to correct a dog in Cesar's way and get hurt. Cesar's show is well edited and a lot is left out (in the interest of time, i'm sure). For a more realistic pet dog trainer, Victoria Stillwell is a better role model.

So you are implying to train a dog one must train with a K-9 handler? Sorry, but there are some very good obedience people/behaviorists out there providing classes for the general public. Patricia McConnel has some of the best books on behavior out there. They are affordable, easy to understand and help people to read their dog's body language. Sarah Kalnajs has some amazing dvd's/seminars on canine aggression and the signals dog's give out prior to 'attacking'. Most people are surprised when they say the dog attacked without any sign or provocation and further conversations reveal that yes, there were signs. There almost always will be a signal that an attack is imminent. It may be as brief as a 1 second freeze of all movement. A hard stare. A barely visible lip curl. A very slight change in tail position.

The information is out there and available to anyone who wishes to learn more about their dogs and behavior. A basic obedience class from a certified pet dog trainer is a must if you have trouble walking your dog on leash or just want to build a better relationship with your dog.

Tass
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh crap, she's up"

tfrazier
Posts in topic: 4

Post by tfrazier »

Tass wrote:...So you are implying to train a dog one must train with a K-9 handler? Sorry, but there are some very good obedience people/behaviorists out there providing classes for the general public...Tass
There I go again, forgetting to preface and end everything I say with IMO. I said most.

IMO, If the little British gal with her high heeled boots has methods that work great then by all means, use them. And of course there are lots of very good trainers outside of the law enforcement community. There are a lot more who haven't a clue what they are doing, even if they are certified, IMO.

The main point of my long-winded entry was that knowledge and training are great tools that will help us avoid situations that otherwise might result in a CHL holder capping a dog. As usual, I couldn't restrain myself from expounding on the glories of law enforcement K9 training (places like Adlerhorst, International) and in the process dissing most other training philosophies, IMO. Outside of that point, it was all OPINION based on my own life experience and beliefs.

ETex2
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ETex2 »

My wife is a dog trainer, and we have a very well trained and behaved golden retriever. That said, when we take him for walks, we don't EVER let him approach and sniff and play with another dog, unless we KNOW the dog well. One reason that no dog should ever be unleashed while in public. Do NOT let your dog sniff other dogs, you never know the dog's temperment, esp. a pit bull.

Lesson learned, I guess.

dihappy

Post by dihappy »

03Lightningrocks wrote:I am willing to take the bet that if I blast a pit bull that is mauling my dog BECAUSE THE OWNER OF THE PIT BULL WOULD NOT STOP THE ATTACK....I would walk. The reason....BECAUSE THE OWNER OF THE PIT BULL WOULD NOT STOP THE ATTACK. This little detail makes all the difference in the world.

PS.....in Plano Texas....you will have a better chance getting a democrat elected than you will finding a jury that will rule in favor of a pit bull owner. Like I said...I'll take that bet and blast your dog...UNLESS....UNLESS you are making an attempt to stop it. If you think I would stand there while you allowed your dog to teach me a lesson...LOL...get ready for a rude awakening.
LOL, hope your not having a bad day cuz im sure it be mighty difficult to get a shot at two dogs rolling around in the dirt. If your lucky, you wont hit your dog with that bullet. If i were the leashed dog owner, i would tell the judge that your dog was about to attack ME and my dog was defending me :)

dihappy

Post by dihappy »

will381796 wrote:Lock the thread. Let's move on.
Why are you even reading it if you dont seem to like it?

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 12

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

dihappy wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:I am willing to take the bet that if I blast a pit bull that is mauling my dog BECAUSE THE OWNER OF THE PIT BULL WOULD NOT STOP THE ATTACK....I would walk. The reason....BECAUSE THE OWNER OF THE PIT BULL WOULD NOT STOP THE ATTACK. This little detail makes all the difference in the world.

PS.....in Plano Texas....you will have a better chance getting a democrat elected than you will finding a jury that will rule in favor of a pit bull owner. Like I said...I'll take that bet and blast your dog...UNLESS....UNLESS you are making an attempt to stop it. If you think I would stand there while you allowed your dog to teach me a lesson...LOL...get ready for a rude awakening.
LOL, hope your not having a bad day cuz im sure it be mighty difficult to get a shot at two dogs rolling around in the dirt. If your lucky, you wont hit your dog with that bullet. If i were the leashed dog owner, i would tell the judge that your dog was about to attack ME and my dog was defending me :)
I think you may have misread the OP. The puppy was not rolling around in the dirt putting up a fight. Your going to tell a judge you were afraid of a puppy?

roberts
Banned

Post by roberts »

03Lightningrocks wrote:
dihappy wrote:

I think you may have misread the OP. The puppy was not rolling around in the dirt putting up a fight. Your going to tell a judge you were afraid of a puppy?
I'm going to tell them I was walking my dog on public property. My dog was on a leash like the law says. An unleashed dog came running up. While the dogs were fighting you ran up and pulled a gun. I was in fear for my life and shot you to stop the threat.
THE SECOND AMENDMENT IS NOT ABOUT DUCK HUNTING

quidni

Post by quidni »

Personally, I'm still wondering why the dog was wearing his CCW.

:leaving
TSRA / NRA
KA5RLA
All guns have at least two safeties. One's digital, one's cognitive. In other words - keep the digit off the trigger until ready to fire, and THINK. Some guns also have mechanical safeties on top of those. But if the first two don't work, the mechanical ones aren't guaranteed. - me

Keith B
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Keith B »

quidni wrote:

"rlol" :rolll
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

tfrazier

Post by tfrazier »

Too funny, Quidni! :tiphat: "rlol"

lws380
Posts in topic: 2

Post by lws380 »

quidni wrote:

Should of had his (the dog) Concealed Carry "BADGE" and maybe this wouldn't of happened!

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

Maybe it was a concealed collar.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

frazzled

Post by frazzled »

Keith B wrote:
quidni wrote:

"rlol" :rolll
:cheers2:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”