Any recommendations for a Dallas local CHL class

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
stumpjumper_steve
Posts in topic: 3

Any recommendations for a Dallas local CHL class

Post by stumpjumper_steve »

I realize getting recommendations for a CHL class is like asking "What gun should I carry". However, since we have so many in the DFW area what are some of your experiences with the good ones VS the not so hot ones? We're in the Mesquite area, so anything in the Rockwall, Garland, Mesquite area would take priority and move outward from there.

(Please forgive me if this question has already been asked...but I did a search on the forum and it didn't turn up many results.)

LarryH
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Any recommendations for a Dallas local CHL class

Post by LarryH »

Here's one. May not be the closest, but I've read a lot of "highly recommended" posts here.

http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... =6&t=21122" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Taltyman

Post by Taltyman »

We live in Forney and went here http://www.chltraining.com/ based on recommendation from another forum. I thought it was a great class. One of the instructors was a former legislator who helped draft some of the laws so that was insightful.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

One of our moderators and a member here on the board do classes in the DFW area. I would HIGHLY recommend them! :thumbs2:

See http://www.crossfire-training.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

MrsFosforos
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MrsFosforos »

The City of Terrell Police Department offers a course: http://cityofterrell.org/handgun.htm

You need to provide your own passport photos but they will provide fingerprinting. It's VERY reasonably priced - $50.00. The instructor makes the course interesting too.

MojoTexas

Post by MojoTexas »

I was pleased with my CHL class at the Bullet Trap in Plano. Dave Hammers ("Dave is my brain") is a great instructor.

MojoTexas :txflag:
NRA Life member, TSRA member

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
--Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon, 1942

Topic author
stumpjumper_steve

MojoTexas wrote:I was pleased with my CHL class at the Bullet Trap in Plano. Dave Hammers ("Dave is my brain") is a great instructor.

MojoTexas :txflag:
That's what I love about this forum, I never knew the Bullet Trap existed. It's perfect, right on the way home half way through fighting traffic. Perfect stress relief!

dleewo

Post by dleewo »

MrsFosforos wrote:The City of Terrell Police Department offers a course: http://cityofterrell.org/handgun.htm

You need to provide your own passport photos but they will provide fingerprinting. It's VERY reasonably priced - $50.00. The instructor makes the course interesting too.
Thanks for this recommendation. I just joined this forum yesterday and was planning to do a CHL class in the next 2 months. It turns out that Terrell has a class this Saturday and I was able to get into it. They only do it every other month and the next one is Memorial weekend which I couldn't make so if I didn't get into the class this Sat, I would have had to wait 4 months to do it with Terrell. (well, I wouldn't have waited, but this way I get to save $50+)

Derek
Tarrant County
03/26/2009 - Completed online application
03/28/2009 - CHL class
04/02/2009 - Mailed application to DPS
05/18/2009 - Status changed to "Processing Application"
07/04/2009 - Status changed to "Application Completed - license issued or certificate active"
07/09/2009 - Plastic in Hand

davlanders

Post by davlanders »

I used http://www.mychl.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and was very pleased. Looks like there are lots of good options in DFW. Good to know.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member

MrsFosforos
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MrsFosforos »

dleewo wrote:
MrsFosforos wrote:The City of Terrell Police Department offers a course: http://cityofterrell.org/handgun.htm

Thanks for this recommendation. I just joined this forum yesterday and was planning to do a CHL class in the next 2 months. It turns out that Terrell has a class this Saturday and I was able to get into it. They only do it every other month and the next one is Memorial weekend which I couldn't make so if I didn't get into the class this Sat, I would have had to wait 4 months to do it with Terrell. (well, I wouldn't have waited, but this way I get to save $50+)

Derek
Derek, I am glad it worked out for you!

dleewo

Re:

Post by dleewo »

MrsFosforos wrote:
dleewo wrote:

Thanks for this recommendation.

Derek
Derek, I am glad it worked out for you!
I took the class today and it was great. I like the fact that the instructor was a cop (Sgt McKeown). My wife has now decided to get her CHL too, but unfortunately the City of Terrell only does the CHL class every other month and the next one is Memorial weekend and she can't make that one so it'll be 4 months before she can take the class there,

If anyone is interested, I did find that Sgt McKeown also teaches the CHL class at Bass Pro Shops in Garland and it's $75. He has two classes coming up in April so my wife is going to take one of them. (I'm not associated with Bass Pro Shops nor the City of Terrell....I'm just a very satisfied customer)

Derek
Tarrant County
03/28/2009 - CHL class
07/04/2009 - Status changed to "Application Completed - license issued or certificate active"

shoeless

Post by shoeless »

I took the class at the Garland Bass Pro in March and it was very good. Sgt. McKeown makes it interesting and is practical in his advice. The only negative (not a big deal really) was the shooting test was at the Terrell Police Range, about a 25 minute drive from Bass Pro. Actually, it was a nice way to break up the day and get out of the class room for a little while.
CHL in hand - 7/09
Daily Carry - Taurus Millenium Pro PT-145

Phrase I most want to hear before I die... "The Texas Rangers win the World Series!"

Topic author
stumpjumper_steve

shoeless wrote:I took the class at the Garland Bass Pro in March and it was very good. Sgt. McKeown makes it interesting and is practical in his advice. The only negative (not a big deal really) was the shooting test was at the Terrell Police Range, about a 25 minute drive from Bass Pro. Actually, it was a nice way to break up the day and get out of the class room for a little while.
What PD is Sgt. McKeown with?

dleewo

Post by dleewo »

stumpjumper_steve wrote:
shoeless wrote: What PD is Sgt. McKeown with?
City of Terrell PD. When I took his class he did give a brief overview of himself, but I don't have the exact details. Some of the tasks he mentioned he does (or did) included SWAT, advanced weapons instruction, criminal investigation division.
Tarrant County
03/28/2009 - CHL class

Return to “New to CHL?”