February Applications

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

southboundp
Posts in topic: 5

Re: February Applications

Post by southboundp »

Being the patient one that I am, I politely emailed DPS yesterday morning inquiring about my PIN number and explaining the whole situation of when I took my class, sent my packet, had my money order deposited...not thinking I'd get a response. Got to work this morning, and guess what, I got my PIN. Now the second count down begins.
Glock 27 .40 cal.
Taurus 24/7 Pro C 9mm
DMPS Panther Lite 16" 5.56 AR

boaterman
Posts in topic: 6

Post by boaterman »

Filed on line. Received the packet yesterday and it included the Pin#. In the mail yesterday. OOPS -- I forgot to include one item in the package. Dang!!!

I called and was told, "Just wait until notified before sending, you should hear something within two months." (It only took one month to start processing)

I hope that doesn't delay the process too long... (Haven't the received letter)

Filed on line and Charged to CC 2/06/09
CHL class 2/11/09
Received Pin and Packet 2/24/09
Mailed Packet 2/24/09
Confirmed delivery in Austin 2/26/09
Processing 3/26/09

MaleNurseXD40
Posts in topic: 9

Post by MaleNurseXD40 »

Well, figured I'd introduce myself and take a seat with the rest of you! Hopefully it'll get here soon.......
I'm from the San Antonio Area, anyone know how long the wait has been lately for Bexar County ??
Last edited by MaleNurseXD40 on Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
02/07/09 -- CHL Class Taken
02/09/09 -- Packet mailed to DPS
02/10/09 -- DPS received packet
3/06/09 -- PIN letter mailed
07/27/09 -- Plastic in hand!

longhorn_92
Posts in topic: 1

Post by longhorn_92 »

MaleNurseXD40 wrote:Well, figured I'd introduce myself and take a seat with the rest of you! Hopefully it'll get here soon.......
I'm from the San Antonio Area, anyone know how long the wait has been lately for Bexas County ??

Welcome to the forum! I received mine over a year ago - it took 98 days. Not sure how long it is now.

Where did you take your class??
“If you try to shoot me, I will have to shoot you back, and I promise you I won’t miss!”

NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Member

Keith B
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Keith B »

Welcome folks!! :tiphat:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

ikishk
Posts in topic: 21

Post by ikishk »

ikishk wrote:UGH.....

"Application incomplete - missing information - detailed letter has been sent."
Letter came in today.... grainy pict.
11/07/08 online app
12/24/08 Packet received
02/04/09 training
02/06/09 packet mailed
02/07/09 Rtrn rcpt rcvd
03/06/09 Proc App
03/25/09 Incomplete App
03/30/09 picts mailed
03/31/09 Rtrn rcpt rcvd
04/06/09 proc app
05/02/09 license issued
05/06/09 Plastic received

MaleNurseXD40
Posts in topic: 9

Post by MaleNurseXD40 »

longhorn_92 wrote:
MaleNurseXD40 wrote:Well, figured I'd introduce myself and take a seat with the rest of you! Hopefully it'll get here soon.......
I'm from the San Antonio Area, anyone know how long the wait has been lately for Bexas County ??

Welcome to the forum! I received mine over a year ago - it took 98 days. Not sure how long it is now.

Where did you take your class??
Are you in SA? I took it at the bullet hole off 90/1604, 70 bucks and included everything to mail it in. Even had the sheriff's dept. out there to run the prints for us, they doubled checked them so hopefully they will not get kicked back to me. I'm hoping for a ~60 day wait....currently on day 45..........but who's counting :) I have a squeaky clean record.....hopefully that'll help.....
02/07/09 -- CHL Class Taken
02/09/09 -- Packet mailed to DPS
02/10/09 -- DPS received packet
3/06/09 -- PIN letter mailed
07/27/09 -- Plastic in hand!

Topic author
UpTheIrons
Posts in topic: 17

Post by UpTheIrons »

MaleNurseXD40 wrote:I'm hoping for a ~60 day wait....currently on day 45..........but who's counting :) I have a squeaky clean record.....hopefully that'll help.....
Not to rain on your parade (I'll do it anyway :lol: ), but you are only 21 days in, not 45. The counting begins on the day your app enters the system, not when they receive it, so you'd start counting from March 6, not February 10.

Hope this eases your frustration when April 11 rolls around and you are still "Processing Application."

ETA: BTW, I'm looking at May 8 as day 60 for me, just a few days after your 60 days are up.
"I don't know how that would ever be useful, but I want two!"

Springs are cheap - your gun and your life aren't.

rcxdm40
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rcxdm40 »

just checked and now being processed
02/08/09 -- CHL Class Taken
02/26/09 -- DPS recieved
03/26/09 -- PIN received
09/01/09 -- Application Complete
09/04/09 -- Plastic in hand!

mactex

Post by mactex »

ikishk wrote:
Letter came in today.... grainy pict.
Hey! I got one of those letters also. I tried to convice them that it was just my fuzzy personality, but they didn't go for it! Do you think this is DPS's way to explaining delays now? :lol:

Muhr

Post by Muhr »

Not to rain on your parade (I'll do it anyway :lol: ), but you are only 21 days in, not 45. The counting begins on the day your app enters the system, not when they receive it, so you'd start counting from March 6, not February 10.
Not that it actually means much, but the 60 days starts when they recieve the package. But due to an 'unfortunate' phrasing in the law they are technically given until day 90 to tell you yea/nea (and that 90 day limit is getting broken often recently). But it appears that there actually is some improvement happening as some of us over in Januaryland have seen some action. (I am at day 80, expecting delivery early this week, and mine took a couple weeks longer than some who sent in around the same time)

So April should be a good month for the early/mid Feb folks.

http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... ay#p177616

Topic author
UpTheIrons
Posts in topic: 17

Post by UpTheIrons »

Muhr wrote:
Not that it actually means much, but the 60 days starts when they recieve the package. But due to an 'unfortunate' phrasing in the law they are technically given until day 90 to tell you yea/nea (and that 90 day limit is getting broken often recently). But it appears that there actually is some improvement happening as some of us over in Januaryland have seen some action. (I am at day 80, expecting delivery early this week, and mine took a couple weeks longer than some who sent in around the same time)

So April should be a good month for the early/mid Feb folks.

http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... ay#p177616
OK. Now it begins to make sense. I didn't realize the 30+60 typo language. But what constitutes 'receipt'? In the mail or in the system? That seems to be where the 'typo' really throws the wrench in the works.
"I don't know how that would ever be useful, but I want two!"

Springs are cheap - your gun and your life aren't.

Muhr

Post by Muhr »

OK. Now it begins to make sense. I didn't realize the 30+60 typo language. But what constitutes 'receipt'? In the mail or in the system? That seems to be where the 'typo' really throws the wrench in the works.
That's again where it gets clear as mud, note the difference between renewals...

Not later than the 45th day after receipt of the renewal materials

And regular applications

not later than the 60th day after the date of the receipt by the director's designee of the completed
application materials

For renewels it's when it gets to DPS, for first timers, it is the "director's designee" of whom Mr. Cotton has said... (Both quotes taken from thread linked below)

"Although the term designee isnt statutorily defined, it clearly refers to a person in the applicants geographical area. DPS is supposed to start the computer background check upon receipt of the application materials, but it can wait up to 30 days to send the file to its designee to begin the local records check. If DPS sends the file to the local designee earlier than 30 days after DPS receipt of the application, then DPS cannot legally take 90 days to process."

He also says

"However, it's only because of a typo that DPS can take up to 90 days. DPS recognizes this and the administrators admit that 60 days is the standard they try to meet. This typo should be fixed in 2009. There is no such typo in the renewal language, so DPS has only 45 days from the date your complete application is received by DPS."

So it's 30days+60days=90days (counting starts when designee gets data, this has to be within 30 days of DPS recipt, then has 60 days to finish.)

So, basically what I am saying is, count the days from date DPS gets it :clapping: , but instead of using the 60 day benchmark... use 90 :banghead: . Does the 'application processing' threshold indicate when the "real" 60 begins, maybe, maybe not, they are around the same time anyway, so you might be right in saying the '60 days' technically start then now, but it was really supposed to be when DPS recieves it. Sorta, kinda, maybe.

But, again, the waits seem to be getting shorter generally.

http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... t=60th+day

mymojo
Posts in topic: 6

Post by mymojo »

My check cleared in mid February. As of today, Mar 30, I had not received a PIN. So I called DPS and discovered they had mailed it to me on the 13th. Yep, my PIN got lost in the mail!

So I had to email them today to request they resend it. But on the bright side, my app has been processing for over two weeks - so I'm doing OK timewise I guess.
"Dialing 9-1-1 is wise.... Expecting them to arrive in time to save you is foolish." - Tsung Tzu, The Art of War

ikishk
Posts in topic: 21

Post by ikishk »

mymojo wrote:My check cleared in mid February. As of today, Mar 30, I had not received a PIN. So I called DPS and discovered they had mailed it to me on the 13th. Yep, my PIN got lost in the mail!

So I had to email them today to request they resend it. But on the bright side, my app has been processing for over two weeks - so I'm doing OK timewise I guess.

My original packet AND my pin got lost. I got my PIN via email, and packet got resent. doesn't hurt to ask for it :)
11/07/08 online app
12/24/08 Packet received
02/04/09 training
02/06/09 packet mailed
02/07/09 Rtrn rcpt rcvd
03/06/09 Proc App
03/25/09 Incomplete App
03/30/09 picts mailed
03/31/09 Rtrn rcpt rcvd
04/06/09 proc app
05/02/09 license issued
05/06/09 Plastic received