My Dog attacked by Pitbull while wearing my CCW

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Commander Cody
Posts in topic: 3

Re: My Dog attacked by Pitbull while wearing my CCW

Post by Commander Cody »

What kinda cheesecake?
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

smokindragon
Posts in topic: 1

Post by smokindragon »

Well my daughters shitsu was killed by a neighbors chow and they denied it all the way, even though I saw it standing over it in the back yard when I went to let her in from her morning restroom break.

I feel in that circumstance that the chow was at fault since he was on my property, but neither dog had leashes.

I feel that the bigger dog would always be at fault, since they have an advantage over the other animal and the owner should always own-up .

I am still waiting to catch that chow on my land again :fire ....

In your case I think the owner of that dog needs to pay... :mad5
"WARNING: Driver only carries $20 Dollars worth of ammunition"

Springfield XD.40 subcompact
Remington 597 .22

NAA .22 Long Rifle Mini-Revolver w/holster grip

Clint- Fort Worth
Tx-CHL Holder

ninemm
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ninemm »

I know some people won't like this, but sometimes you have to do some things that penalize/harm an animal in order to protect your property. I know in this situation the dog's owner was to blame, but you have to do what you have to do. At a rental property in DeSoto, there was a neighbor who could not keep his dog (Rottweiler) from getting out of his back yard. It would dig out or climb the fence. I went by there one day and found the dog in the back yard of my property. I went next door to tell the neighbor to get his dog but they weren't home, so I called animal control. Animal control shows up and has the dog by the loop on the end of a pole thingy just as the neighbor drives up. He screams at me for calling animal control. He cannot talk animal control into releasing the dog. So he has to go down and pay a fine to get the dog back. So now he is really irritated at me. I didn't think much more. My tenant called later me to tell me that the screens were damaged on the master bedroom windows. When I looked, I found that the dog had destroyed two window screens and scratched up the back door. I go next door to tell the guy what his dog had done. He just barked at me (pardon the pun) that the only reason the dog does that is that my tenant "allows" her cat to tease his dog. My tenant's cat is totally an inside cat. I'm sure the dog sees the cat through the windows as cats like to sit in windows and sun themselves and look outside (mine certainly do). I ask for his insurance agent's name so that I can file a claim. He just says, "Screw you!" and slams the door. Less than a week later, before I had the screen's replaced or the back door sanded and repainted, I get word that it happened again. That time, the neighbor jumped the fence and retrieved his dog. I got new screens and fixed the damage to the door. Two weeks later it happened again, tore up the screens and scratched the door so deeply that it wasn't easy to repair. But this time, there was a bowl of antifreeze on the patio. We never had another incident.

RedRaider
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RedRaider »

smokindragon wrote:Well my daughters shitsu was killed by a neighbors chow and they denied it all the way, even though I saw it standing over it in the back yard when I went to let her in from her morning restroom break.

I feel in that circumstance that the chow was at fault since he was on my property, but neither dog had leashes.

I feel that the bigger dog would always be at fault, since they have an advantage over the other animal and the owner should always own-up .

I am still waiting to catch that chow on my land again :fire ....

In your case I think the owner of that dog needs to pay... :mad5

In response to the first bolded point: This is typical America, don't hold anyone accountable for anything anymore. So you're saying the Pitbull is at fault in this situation because he's bigger. How about hold the owner of the loose dog accountable for not having control of his dog? This event would have never occurred if he had control of his dog, plain and simple, I really don't think that can argued against.

Bolded point number 2 above: So he needs to pay for what? He's legally walking his dog on a leash and has control of his dog. His dog being on the leash was in his control, it couldn't run into the OP's yard and attack his dog?

With that said, the only problem I have with the Pitbull owner is not trying to get his dog off the other dog, to give him the benefit of the doubt, maybe he was scared, froze, etc and didn't know what to do (we'd have to be there to understand his actions). I do understand the PIttbull owners frustration in yelling about having the other dog on a leash.........I get tired of walking my dog on a leash and having to drag him along when loose dogs come up and won't go away, I feel like I'm punishing my dog because of other owners leaving their animals loose.

Now, in the situation with your sisters dog, this is totally different from the OP's situation in terms of using lethal force, the dog was on her property and I 100% agree with using force on the loose Chow which entered her property, obviously assuming it is the last resort possible to save her dog's life.

RedRaider
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RedRaider »

Ooops, deleted due to double post.

arod757
Posts in topic: 2

Post by arod757 »

But this time, there was a bowl of antifreeze on the patio.
I was with you 'til that point. I would never hurt another animal just because its owner is an idiot. No matter how much damage the animal has done to property, the dog can always be trained to stop its destructive behavior. It's not the dog's fault his owner is too lazy or ignorant to train him.

cdc101

Post by cdc101 »

ninemm wrote:I know some people won't like this, but sometimes you have to do some things that penalize/harm an animal in order to protect your property.

But this time, there was a bowl of antifreeze on the patio. We never had another incident.
Wow...
Chris
US Army Cavalry Scout: 1992 - 1997

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 12

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I am willing to take the bet that if I blast a pit bull that is mauling my dog BECAUSE THE OWNER OF THE PIT BULL WOULD NOT STOP THE ATTACK....I would walk. The reason....BECAUSE THE OWNER OF THE PIT BULL WOULD NOT STOP THE ATTACK. This little detail makes all the difference in the world.

PS.....in Plano Texas....you will have a better chance getting a democrat elected than you will finding a jury that will rule in favor of a pit bull owner. Like I said...I'll take that bet and blast your dog...UNLESS....UNLESS you are making an attempt to stop it. If you think I would stand there while you allowed your dog to teach me a lesson...LOL...get ready for a rude awakening.

03Lightningrocks

arod757 wrote:
But this time, there was a bowl of antifreeze on the patio.
I was with you 'til that point. I would never hurt another animal just because its owner is an idiot. No matter how much damage the animal has done to property, the dog can always be trained to stop its destructive behavior. It's not the dog's fault his owner is too lazy or ignorant to train him.
Yeah...I'm not sure I could do this either. I could blast a dog to stop an immediate threat, but once the threat was over, I would not see the point in it. I would probably just keep calling animal control on them until they got the message.

frazzled

Post by frazzled »

Am I correct in assuming everyone on this board has passed the CHL test or studied it? I'm assuming everyone has a similar level of understanding when you can and can't draw, at least to the level of the test, and the many criminal offenses that could occur if you do so incorrectly (not to mentionresponses from other parties). That would explain much. Am I wrong in that?

edit: agreed you don't do that to a dog. I understand its a really bad way to go as well. :mad5 :mad5 :mad5

Keith B
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Keith B »

OK guys, neither of you is going to convince the other apparently. Please cease the bantering back and forth on this or take it off line to PM.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

ninemm wrote:But this time, there was a bowl of antifreeze on the patio. We never had another incident.
I don't have a problem with this except for the obvious liability involved.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

cdc101

Post by cdc101 »

Keith B wrote:OK guys, neither of you is going to convince the other apparently. Please cease the bantering back and forth on this or take it off line to PM.
Aww come on Dad...I'm having fun reading the bantering! "rlol"
Chris
US Army Cavalry Scout: 1992 - 1997

lws380

Post by lws380 »

Keith B wrote:OK guys, neither of you is going to convince the other apparently. Please cease the bantering back and forth on this or take it off line to PM.
I vote take off line!

03Lightningrocks

You seem to be the type to be a responsible dog owner Frazzled so I have a question for you. In the situation the original poster mentioned, would you have tried to get your dog to stop eating that puppy?

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”