Gun Store question

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
dadoo
Posts in topic: 3

Gun Store question

Post by dadoo »

While this is not exactly a gun range question, I couldn't find a better place to put this. I live in Mesquite, close to Garland and there are not many gun stores in the area. I have been researching a new gun purchase, but pictures on the internet can only tell you just so much. Sooner or later, you have to wrap your mitts around a gun to see how it feels, and when I'm ready to buy, I want to buy from a local dealer and avoid the extra shipping and FFL charges.
Now we have one gun store (which shall remain nameless) in my immediate area, but they never seem to have what I'm looking for, and if they do have something good, their prices are through the roof. Anyone have a good recommendation for a gun store with good inventory and good prices in the Mesquite, Garland, or vicinity?
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
- G. K. Chesterton

nitrogen
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Gun Store question

Post by nitrogen »

There's Bullet Trap in Plano, which is a bit of a drive. Their prices are OK.

There's also targetmasters in Garland, but their prices are a bit worse.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

WEC
Posts in topic: 1

Post by WEC »

Any gun shows heading to your area soon? There's no better selection of guns to get your hands on than at a show.
"We are oft to blame in this / 'Tis too much proved -- that with devotion's visage / And pious action we do sugar o'er / The devil himself."
Μολὼν λαβέ | NRA Lifetime Member

Topic author
dadoo

Post by dadoo »

WEC wrote:Any gun shows heading to your area soon? There's no better selection of guns to get your hands on than at a show.
:iagree: I agree, if you can get near the tables through the crush of people "rlol". All of my current guns have been purchased at gun shows, from dealers out of the general area, but I like the idea of developing a relationship with a local dealer. Most of my family have purchased our cars at the same dealership, from the same salesman. When we pull in, or bring a friend, I know we are going to get his best deal; I never have to worry "what if...?".
Guess I'll have to wait for the next Big Town show or Dallas show. I'll just have to get there super early.
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
- G. K. Chesterton

123dan456

Post by 123dan456 »

Have you tried B&S on beltline and 30?

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Bachman's Pawn over by Lewisville/Carrolton? I've seen encouraging ads in Shotgun News from them.

Taltyman

Post by Taltyman »

Not sure of which nameless store you refer to but there's a fairly new store towards Forney on Collins just south of HWY 80. There's another store in Forney on the north side of HWY 80 between McDonalds and Wally world. I can't comment on how their prices compare. Also have you looked at Academy Sports in Town East area? Not much selection but from what I saw their prices look good.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Bullet Trap in Plano has a good selection and their prices are reasonable. I have always found the staff to be knowledgeable and helpful.

If you are in no major rush, Classic Shows has their next Bigtown show in Mesquite on April 11 & 12. You might get a little better deal at the show.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Ace_Inthe_O

Post by Ace_Inthe_O »

Ray's Sporting Goods
http://www.rayssportinggoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I buy a majority of my guns there. They have very good prices and good people working there.
"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." - Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
dadoo

Post by dadoo »

123dan456 wrote:Have you tried B&S on beltline and 30?
Like I said, the store shall remain nameless :coolgleamA:
- G. K. Chesterton

stumpjumper_steve

Post by stumpjumper_steve »

dadoo wrote:
123dan456 wrote:Have you tried B&S on beltline and 30?
Like I said, the store shall remain nameless :coolgleamA:
I've bought a total of 3 guns from them over the course of a year and every time I go in there, it's like I'm a stranger to them. Not so friendly folks, prices are not really that great, and they seem very limited on stock.
Targetmaster's has been mentioned already, but with the renovation it looks like their stock is a little on the light side. They seem friendly enough and that's why we use their range. To me, it's like a good 'Ole boy western, cowboys, ranch hands type store. Nothing like Dallas Gun Club on Mockingbird, they act like if you aren't tactical SWAT or AD mil, you don't really belong in there. However, they do have a very nice range.

crochetetc

Post by crochetetc »

I would make the drive to Bullet Trap or use Gunmasters, both are in Plano both have about the same prices. Employees are great at both places and both places will try and get you what ever you want. Bullet Trap has the biggest selection of test fire guns if you want to shoot before you buy and a great range.

I would stay away from the unnamed store in Mesquite they are not friendly and have poor customer service.Being a women I was disgusted at the attitude I got when wanting to look at a gun, then they acted like they didnt feel comfortable with me touching it. I took my business else where. Both places I have mentioned went out of their way to show many their guns and help me find one I liked.

nitrogen
Posts in topic: 2

Post by nitrogen »

crochetetc wrote:I would make the drive to Bullet Trap or use Gunmasters, both are in Plano both have about the same prices. Employees are great at both places and both places will try and get you what ever you want. Bullet Trap has the biggest selection of test fire guns if you want to shoot before you buy and a great range.

I would stay away from the unnamed store in Mesquite they are not friendly and have poor customer service.Being a women I was disgusted at the attitude I got when wanting to look at a gun, then they acted like they didnt feel comfortable with me touching it. I took my business else where. Both places I have mentioned went out of their way to show many their guns and help me find one I liked.
Gunmasters is another good store. I have not bought a full weapon from them, but they DID save my bacon before a shoot by having replacement 1911 parts on hand and in stock; albeit at a premium price. They seem to have a lot of random parts, so if you need parts, you might want to give them a visit as well.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

shawn

Post by shawn »

#1 for Bullet trap. They always very helpful. I'd suggest going during the weekend and avoid that place like the plague on the weekend.

They have always treated my wife with respect when she has been in there with me looking at guns. She hasn't made a decision yet but they don't make her feel stupid for asking newbie questions.

I bought 2 guns from B&S guns long ago. My experience was very pleasant. Back then it was a family deal. I bought one from (I think) it was the son. They ordered another one for me and I picked it up from the mom. She wasn't real knowledgable but she was very nice and showed me a few of her favorite guns. Things may have changed since then.

Commander

Post by Commander »

dadoo wrote:....... Anyone have a good recommendation for a gun store with good inventory and good prices in the Mesquite, Garland, or vicinity?
Check out SAW - Schrams' Ammo and Weapons in Mesquite. Its on Collins road just south of US 80. He has a very large selection of about anything you'd want.
"Happiness is a warm gun" - The Beatles - 1969

Commander

Return to “Shooting Ranges”